Going through a Ford Firewall.....

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KG6EAQ
Batboard $upporter

Going through a Ford Firewall.....

Post by KG6EAQ »

Since the Hideaways have been brought up I got a question about going through a Ford Explorer firewall. I have already run power wires to the rear for my x9000 trunk units. Now I need to run power and strobe cables up to the front of the inside into my console. I am looking for an easy way to pull them (both the power and strobe cables) through the firewall. Right now the cables go to the back and come back up to the front by my radios. I want to shorten up the cables, they could be shortened by about 15ft. So anybody know a place to pop through a '92 Ford Explorer firewall? I looked where most of the cables go through but they are in a giagantic circular connector :( no room to squeeze in.
-Robert F.
KG6EAQ
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

I'm not sure about the older....but there is a gromet that is abouit 3 inches across that only has the e-brake cable going through it. If that doesn't exist try at least finding the e-brake cable and see where it goes through....I've had the best luck doing that. Otherwise break out the hole saw if there is no other available place.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
KG6EAQ
Batboard $upporter

Post by KG6EAQ »

Will do, thanks!
-Robert F.
KG6EAQ
fire-medic8104

Post by fire-medic8104 »

I believe but I don't remember for sure without looking at one, but I think the grommet that the steering column goes through will work. Just be sure on the hood side that you route the wires away from the steering column and of course heat. I use this location on most vehicles if I can't access anywhere else.
KG6EAQ
Batboard $upporter

Post by KG6EAQ »

Well, after much looking around I found an existing hole that had been buttoned up. So I went and got a new grommet for it and BAM! All done! The hide-aways look great :)
-Robert F.
KG6EAQ

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”