Quantar PS Failing When Battery Connected

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Renamon

Quantar PS Failing When Battery Connected

Post by Renamon »

Have one Quantar with a CPN1047 PS (all others have CPN1048 and work fine) and when we run it on either AC -OR- DC, it works fine. When we hook up DC and then switch on the AC (typical battery revert setup), the PS module will flash fail over and over and you will hear a capacitor squeal in sync with the flashing fail light. It failed, worked fine -once- and then has continued to fail.

The batteries are charged by a dedicated management system and not the Quantars, so every machine has the battery field set to none.

So, is this just a bad PS, or is there something else that I am forgetting?

Thanks for the help!
Bill_G

Re: Quantar PS Failing When Battery Connected

Post by Bill_G »

According to my manual, the CPN1048 has charger and battery revert, and the CPN1047 does not. It says CPN1047 only for battery revert (ie: automatic switchover to/from battery upon AC failure).
Renamon

Post by Renamon »

Right, so it should work! We are only using the revert portion anyway.

We are think it may just be a bad PS.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Oops! Sorry. My bad. The CPN1047 *does not* support battery revert. It does not automatically switch the battery in during AC fail.

I read the manual correctly. I wrote it out wrong.

I spent a little time trying to understand what the CPN1047 would do with a battery connected, but couldn't quite figure that out. My manual did not have an installation section for the 1047. It pointed to the battery connection point on the 1047 as the place you connect an external charger. So, my guess is you use something like the external Argus charger / batt revert box like is required on MTR2000's, and you run the stations on DC full time.
Renamon

Post by Renamon »

Wow, weird! Ok thanks for the help!

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”