COM-120A low speaker audio

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ve3nsv

COM-120A low speaker audio

Post by ve3nsv »

I have a COM-120A that has low internal speaker audio. I'm wondering if it is something as simple as a bad speaker or something else? Also does anybody know if the tracking generator was a software option in this model and what the cost might be?
ve3nsv

Re: COM-120A low speaker audio

Post by ve3nsv »

Slid the cover off and tied another speaker to the internal speaker with alligator clips and the volume is still low. Looks like the issue is deeper internally. Maybe Wowbagger can help?
jry

Post by jry »

most likely a bad cap on the front panel assembly
jry

Post by jry »

may want to check the ear phone jack switched contacts first though
ve3nsv

Post by ve3nsv »

Phone jack is ok. How involved is the cap replacement on the display board?
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

Not the display board - the front panel (where the keyboard is) - that's where the audio amp is.

Another thing you can do is go to the Generator mode, route the internal function generators to the speaker, and then use them to drive things - that will eliminate anything like issues with the demodulator setup.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”