MTR2000 setup

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Irishfirepics
New User

MTR2000 setup

Post by Irishfirepics »

HI all

Just wondering if I could draw on your experience once again. I have been offered a motorola mtr2000,
couple of things I want to know before I take it.

Can it be used as a simplex repeater?

What other equipment woukd I need to get it up and running like antenna etc?

Can I install it in a vehicle? When we ae out training we are Sometimes in bad terrain so I wanted to fit it to a jeep and be able to use it as an on site repeater.

I don't know a lot about repeaters so any help would be great
MSS-Dave
What radios do you own?: XTL5K, NX300, PD782, Spark Gap

Re: MTR2000 setup

Post by MSS-Dave »

Irishfirepics wrote:HI all

Just wondering if I could draw on your experience once again. I have been offered a motorola mtr2000,
couple of things I want to know before I take it.

Can it be used as a simplex repeater?

Not without some sort of external controller

What other equipment woukd I need to get it up and running like antenna etc?

Depends. As a repeater, you would need a duplexer. If a base station, the MTR requires an antenna switch. Typically speaking, the bigger, the better it works as far as antennas go. If you install on a tower, the higher, the better (in most cases, YMMV).

Can I install it in a vehicle? When we are out training we are Sometimes in bad terrain so I wanted to fit it to a jeep and be able to use it as an on site repeater.

MTR2K has 2 ways to work. If provisioned as AC, you would require 110 VAC (in the USA), if provisioned as DC operation, you would need 24 VDC for the 100 watt station. If lower power, it **MAY** work on 13.8 VDC but would have to check.

I don't know a lot about repeaters so any help would be great
Look here for specifics on the MTR stations.... http://www.repeater-builder.com/motorol ... index.html

Since you are new to repeaters look here for general info on the process.... http://www.repeater-builder.com/rbtip/repeater101.html
kato56

Post by kato56 »

I've installed a UHF 100 watt MTR 2k for our ham club using an RLC external controller. . . no complaints. However, vhf was a different story in that I was unaware that because I had a high split vhf model, the PA would not accept a frequency on 144.00 mhz, so if you are planning on using it on ham freqs, make sure to get a low split version.
KI4M

Post by KI4M »

Or alternately you can pick up a VHF low power 30W or 40W station and use that to drive an external PA. The other beautiful thing about the lower power stations is that they do not have the 24V power supply either.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”