MTR2000 / 3000 Different Bands RX/TX?

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Birken Vogt

MTR2000 / 3000 Different Bands RX/TX?

Post by Birken Vogt »

I am tossing around an idea for an RF linked system. Is it possible to put a VHF receiver and a UHF transmitter or vice versa into a MTR2000 or 3000 chassis? Or to order one that way?

I believe I have some VHF receivers and UHF exciters/PAs but I was not able to make anything happy enough to boot up and program. It might have also been a mixture of 2000/3000 stuff, though. It has been a while since I messed with it.
d119

Re: MTR2000 / 3000 Different Bands RX/TX?

Post by d119 »

Well you can't order an MTR 2000 anymore, unfortunately. However, based on the way the software works, it appears that you could in fact put together a "cross band" unit, and be good to go. I'm fairly confident it would work.

With the MTR 3000, I don't think this is possible as the software is laid out completely different, you can't create a "default" codeplug thus specifying separate bands for TX and RX.

In my humble opinion the MTR 3000 is nowhere near as flexible as the MTR 2000, and the MTR3K is really only useful as a high power TRBO station. Trying to use it for anything else is just asking for trouble.

With regard to you trying to put an MTR 2000 crossband unit together, I would create the default "crossband" codeplug, program the station, and THEN put the crossband components together. See what that yields. Be careful not to put a 100W PA on a low power power supply. :)

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”