Help finding Motorola External Speaker

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

qc91
New User

Help finding Motorola External Speaker

Post by qc91 »

Hi, Need help finding older Motorola External Speaker looking for a 5 Watt none amplified if anyone has part numbers? I found a few but not sure if they are 5 Watts http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-Speake ... SwwPtTwENT the specs on the radioAudio Output Power : 5W Max., 8 ohm Load I will have to use 3.5 MM plug so I will have to modified the wires on the External Speaker

Thanks
tuckerm

Re: Help finding Motorola External Speaker

Post by tuckerm »

As you've been told in the other thread, just hook the Motorola speaker up to the 3.5MM plug and you are good to go. Any speaker will do!
Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.
Satelite

Post by Satelite »

Hello qc91 :
Your speaker you have is as many have said .
A non amplified normal speaker.
It is as many have said just wire it up and your good to go.
There are times specs are extremely important but in your case its not so big of a deal needing watched as closely as your attempting.
True an amplified speaker will have normally two extra wires for power into the amplified circuit and then two more for speaker minus and plus audio input.
However the info posted in this and the other posting you put up is correct as I read it.
You should only see two wires on your speaker you showed us and one is the speaker plus input and the other speaker minus input.
And yes as another correctly informed you there is NO POLARITY issue with the speaker you showed us so yes you simply wire it up and no need to wonder if its wired wrong or right per polarity as per the design of your speaker its wired correctly either way.
The amplified audio your using is from your radio so speaker simply needs only the two wires for audio input as its again your radio or scanners audio output that's been amplified by its internal audio circuit so no other power is needed for a non amplified speaker.
Hopefully the explanation will take the confusion out of this for you so it makes better sense.
Don't get too carried away worrying about the ohms and wattage with this one as the speaker is up to specs for your particular use here you described.
However don't try putting a too small speaker on another situation as itll likely crap out and not work and also high powered audio amps will then need bigger better wattage specs for proper use but as said your good to go with the above.
You already have this won so wire that bad boy up and enjoy.
Satelite
qc91
New User

Post by qc91 »

Hi, thanks I have not order any Motorola External Speakers yet I was looking for the best one to fit between the Audio Output Power : 5W Max., 8 ohm I not trying to be difficult the reason I'm hesitant is I found this warning Bcd536hp external speaker connection considerations and precautions

http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden ... tions.html

There's been a lot of talk about issues with the new 536HP's external speaker output. There are now at least three separate threads concerning this and, although I did reply in one thread and pointed out most of what follows, I still see much confusion and mis-information concerning this issue. In essence, we're talking about issues occurring when that output is connected to something OTHER than a real passive external speaker, like an external amplifier or input to a PC soundcard, even an external powered amplified speaker. Problems such as low audio, distorted audio or no audio at all.

There is a reason for this. As UPMAN has said, the external speaker output in the 536HP is not like it was in the older models - it uses a BTL amplifier arrangement - BTL stands for "Bridge Tied Load". In essence, it means that what amounts to two mono amps are fed together with one having an inverted signal relative to the other. Think of the difference between -3 and +3 as being a total of 6 (the BTL; don't confuse this with "adding" the two "out-of-phase" signals and getting a cancellation, 0, as what we are doing is dealing with the "total difference" between the two signals and using that) versus the difference between 0 and +3 being just 3 (as in "normal" single ended grounded shield amps). That "difference" is what counts in the end at the speaker. So, essentially what you get is a very powerful audio signal for driving a passive speaker. The problem is, that is ALL it was designed to drive! It was NOT designed with any intention of being connected to a single ended device (with the shield grounded as with most consumer amplifiers, PC soundcard inputs, etc.).

So what happens when you connect a BTL amp to a single ended amp or other input device (one that has the shield grounded as in most consumer electronic gear)? Well, you end up grounding out or "shorting" one side of that BTL signal. Depending on the design of the BTL amp, this will cause, at minimum, low audio and/or distorted audio and at worst permanent damage to the amp.

So how do you connect a BTL amp output to a single ended input like a PC soundcard or external amplifier? WHATEVER YOU DO you MUST make sure that NEITHER the "tip" (center conductor of the speaker jack) or "ring" (outer ring of the speaker jack) are in any way directly connected to ground!

The BEST solution is to use an audio isolation transformer between the 536HP external speaker jack and the single ended device input. This would effectively isolate the 536 speaker amp output from the single end device from a DC perspective and still pass the audio. Each lead of the primary side of the transformer is connected to the speaker amp output (again, neither is grounded!) while the secondary side of the transformer has one lead grounded to the shield of the connecting cable between the device being fed and the other lead connected to the cable center conductor as you normally would expect in single ended connections. Such a transformer automatically isolates the 536 output from DC as well so would protect it from any DC voltage present from the device being fed (see the following "second best" solution for more explanation of why this may be needed).

The SECOND BEST solution, used especially when you do not have or cannot get an audio isolation transformer, is to use ONLY ONE LEAD from the speaker output jack of the 536 and leave the other lead floating - not connected to anything. So, what you would do, for example, is simply modify a standard mono audio cable such that the shield is "broken" at the end connected to the 536 so that there is no shield connection between the 536 speaker jack and the cable, and instead, connect the shield to some other point on the radio for ground (like a convenient chassis screw or whatever). The other end of the cable then would be connected to the input of the device being fed as normal. This would still yield plenty of audio for the external device to use and not short out anything at the 536 BTL output. Now, one other thing to consider here - that is, whether or not there is any DC voltage coming from the device being fed. If there is, as in some mic inputs present on PC soundcards (which is there in order to power some microphones that need external power, "phantom power") then you should also add some form of DC isolation to block the DC voltage from getting fed back to the BTL amp circuit. Again, depending on the design of the circuit DC voltage present on the line may or may not cause damage but it is not really good to have it there in any case. The easiest way to block DC and pass ac audio is by using a capacitor. A capacitor in series acts like a short at high ac frequencies but more like a resistor as the frequencies get lower until at DC it completely blocks the signal (like an "open circuit"). To pass audio frequencies well you should use something like a 10uF capacitor but you could probably get away with anything down to 1uF and do ok. Most caps in this range are "polarized" electrolytic caps and, therefore should be connected so as to "point" the positive lead to the most positive source of DC (like the device being fed such as the PC mic input) or you could use "non-polarized" electrolytic caps if you have access to those. So, simply solder the positive lead of a 10uF (or something more than 1uF, not critical) to the "tip" center conductor of a standard mono audio plug and the negative lead to a standard shielded audio cable center conductor. This plug would go to the device being fed (such as the PC mic input); the opposite end can just have a normal mono plug connection and would be connected to the 536 external speaker jack.

Why did Uniden choose this "new" means of external speaker amplification? Well, it's not really "new" - it has been used for awhile for professional land mobile radio (LMR) gear and is an efficient means to increase audio output power without needing more, or much more, supply voltage. That's the primary reason. As long as a passive unpowered speaker is the only thing that is connected to this output it will perform very well! The problem is that it was not designed to be connected to anything else; in professional gear, that is fine as such gear is usually only installed by special trained technicians and is not altered by the end users. Hobbyists, of course, are a different story. The other part of the problem is that the 536 was designed WITHOUT any form of analog audio line output as the older models up until now had been. Users became used to using that line output (aka "Record Out") for connection to their PC soundcards for streaming and recording. Now, without it, users naturally turned to using the external speaker output instead - hence the problem since that speaker output now uses the BTL design! It was a case of two design changes from older models which caused unintentional use issues among end users who were "trained" on the older models.

I think that Uniden expected that users would no longer need the "record out" jack as they now could record audio on SD cards. Also, I am not sure but I think that Uniden also expected to use the USB data port to pass digitized audio from the receiver for use if one wanted to pass that audio to the PC for streaming or remote operation, etc. I don't know this for certain and I haven't yet read of anyone using this method and I also do not own a 536 nor have I read the manual or specs. However, it seems likely, to me, based on the hardware and design approach; it may not yet be supported in the firmware and external software yet available but it may be supported in the hardware. Until and/or unless this approach is fully supported, users will have to rely on that external speaker connection and use the interfaces and precautions I have outlined above when connecting that output to anything other than a passive external speaker.

By the way - THIS HAS NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH THE ISSUES CONCERNING THE HEADPHONE AUDIO OUTPUT PROBLEMS EXPERIENCED WITH SOME 536HP UNITS! The headphone audio issue has been addressed by UPMAN and Uniden in general and appears to be a manufacturing defect that affected some, but not all, units coming from the factory. The external speaker output and headphone outputs use COMPLETELY SEPARATE CIRCUITS and the problems with each are UNRELATED.
Satelite

Post by Satelite »

Hello:
Might have included all this info for us so we could have better understood your situation.
You left out a huge amount of information.
Sorta wasted our time and yours seeing what you now decided to tell us.
If its a Uniden radio from qeussing now your info id contact uniden as we are a Motorola bd.
Anyway since you are referring to uniden as an explantion id go to a uniden radio forum and ask.
Might not be a lot of us here in the know when it comes to uniden and on a uniden radio forum ( If There Is One ) there should be.
Wishing You Luck.
Satelite
qc91
New User

Post by qc91 »

Thanks for all the help sorry forget to say it was Uniden Radio Scanners I was going to use http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Kob ... EcT5J2Jyq5 on the Motorola External Speaker

Take care

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”