Micor Power Supply Issue

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Trm70c

Micor Power Supply Issue

Post by Trm70c »

We have a 1110B power supply that was installed on a Micor repeater that has been non-working for several years. Anyway, replaced a 10 AMP fuse, plugged it in and it started right up. Issue is, it's making 15.6 volts where the Micor PA would connect, and 13.4 to the little plug that plugged into the repeater. There is a small circuit board in the top right hand corner labeled regulator that has the outputs labeled on the top. They go from where they are labeled output to two small circular cap looking things. They are labeled M9627; anyway the power leaving the regulator board to these caps tests exactly as labeled, 9.6 and 13.8.

Shouldn't it be 13.8 where the PA would connect? I know it's a 35 year old piece of equipment, but I hate to throw it away if it's still working, seems pretty well built.

I would appreciate any ideas you guys may have.
Trm70c

Re: Micor Power Supply Issue

Post by Trm70c »

Just to be clear, not trying to get the micor back on line, threw it in the trash this afternoon, just looking to re-purpose the power supply if possible. Still have the PA as well although we don't really have much use for it.
Bigred
What radios do you own?: Junk that comes and goes...

Post by Bigred »

Power supply with a huge transformer. Real nut buster for sure. The power supply itself is a ferro-resonant type which means it is self regulating and no way to adjust it. 15 plus volts , the main current draw to the PA, is normal and provides overhead to run 13.8 volt regulator that is used in the receiver, exciter, etc.
Lots and lots of watts...
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

What Bigred basically has said that the PA transmitter load will pull down the power supply voltage to the normal voltage. I don't remember just how much current draw it takes to bring it down to normal, but a receiver won't do it.

Jim
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

Jim202 wrote:What Bigred basically has said that the PA transmitter load will pull down the power supply voltage to the normal voltage. I don't remember just how much current draw it takes to bring it down to normal, but a receiver won't do it.

Jim
No - not true. These bulk supplies at the time normally delivered 15vdc plus and the regulators for each
portion of the cabinet would regulate down to what was needed.
fineshot1
NJ USA

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”