R2001A started blowing 1.5A AC line fuse

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

w1ik
New User

R2001A started blowing 1.5A AC line fuse

Post by w1ik »

Hi, Gang:

Sorry for something that might seem pretty "basic"---I'm fairly adept at troubleshooting, but I think I may be a little out of my depth with this piece.

All had been working just fine until one morning I powered up the unit from the front panel switch, and it blew the 1.5A AC line fuse. Replaced fuse---blew again. I've given the interior of the chassis a thorough visual (and smell) check, but cannot see anything obvious. I have a .pdf of the service manual, and have studied the circuit description and schematic diagrams, but this power supply arrangement is very unfamiliar to me.

Can anyone here give me some "first steps" guidance on this? Any help would be very much appreciated!

---Jim.
William J. (Jim) Wickstrom, W1IK/Technical Director,
Utica/Shelby Emergency Communication Association (USECA)
http://www.usecaarc.com
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Re: R2001A started blowing 1.5A AC line fuse

Post by DJP126 »

Hello Jim, I may be the bearer of bad news but IIRC most of the time when the 1.5A fuse blows, it is usually the line input filter or the power transformer. Also, make sure the center contact of the line connector is grounded to the chassis.
Dave

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”