XTS3500 audio settings

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

BO-105 CBS-5

XTS3500 audio settings

Post by BO-105 CBS-5 »

Need a few suggestions for optimizing the audio on my new XTS3500 from you experts out there.

Got the internal mic. gain set just right...it was a -3 and a bit too low....set to "0" and sounds about right.....a litttle "hotter."

Does anyone suggest turning "on" the AGC??

How about emphasis? I know what it does....but the HELP in RSS is a bit confusing. Will turning it "off" (on TX) "broaden" the audio by allowing more low frequencies to be passed...or should I leave it "enabled."

Recive emphasis.....same question....although I have to admit, the audio from this XTS3500 speaker is about the best I've heard from ANY HT....

Yes...will be using mostly for amateur TX....and we hams strive for the best audio.....

My thanks in advance!

Joe
"Good judgement comes from experience, most experience comes from bad judgement!"... Will Rodgers

"Share with your friends!" ... Mom
apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

Post by apco25 »

AGC will limit the audio and make it sound even no matter how loud you talk or what the background noise is doing.

I personally don't like AGC - just adjust the mic gain to your liking.

Pre-and De-emphasis - don't screw with it as its setup to make everything sound right.
"Some men just don't know their limitations"
RocketNJ

Post by RocketNJ »

As APCO25 said AGC will make the audio sound "even" at the drawback of hearing more background noise when you are not talking or talking very low. It also tends to make the radio sound flat and compressed(lacking depth in the tx audio).

My 3500 is at 0 dB gain with AGC disabled.

TX Preemphasis and RX Deemphasis should be enabled. Disabling TX Preemphasis will make your radio sound muffled (lacking highs). Disabling RX deemphasis will make received calls sound too tinny.

George
BO-105 CBS-5

Post by BO-105 CBS-5 »

Thanks a lot gents.....exactly what I was looking for!

Joe
"Good judgement comes from experience, most experience comes from bad judgement!"... Will Rodgers

"Share with your friends!" ... Mom
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

Turning on the TX audio AGC works well when the '3500 is in the hands of inexperienced staff particularly when in operating on APCO/ASTRO channels.

But the radio sounds a whole lot nicer with the AGC off!

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”