New 700 Watt Power Supply for Quantar!

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ASTROMODAT

New 700 Watt Power Supply for Quantar!

Post by ASTROMODAT »

O.K., kids, forget those old 625 watt Quantar power supplies! It has been replaced with a 700 watt, non-exploding unit! I did some research on the Quantar p/s, so let me try to sort out some fact from fiction.

First off, the Battery Revert function ($300) buys a lot more than just a battery connection cable! It also includes a DIFFERENT circuit in the p/s that not only controls the high current external relay (also included in the revert package), but there is an additional board that does such functions as monitoring the battery's voltage, as well as certain critical battery dynamic behaviors, such as (but not limited to) voltage swings over time, battery temperature conditions, and various other battery dynamic thermal behaviors (temp sensor also included in revert package). These battery status monitoring functions are integrated into the Quantar alarm protocols. You must order the optional revert supply so the Quantar software is enabled for these various battery status and alarm data protocols.

You apparently can NOT add the revert function later in the field. From a h/w standpoint, you would have to crack open the p/s, obtain the extra revert board and several discretes, and perform some p/s h/w surgery. Then there would be the bigger problem of the Quantar firmware. There is no way that I know of to add-on the "presence" of the revert functions post FO (No flame mails, please. Yes, I know there are all sorts of hackers out there that can hack-in stuff to create eBay hacked plugs, and the like. I’m talking about legit firmware. Thanks!). I checked the current Quantar FLASHport price book, and there is no FLASHport upgrade to add this software function (e.g., battery revert monitoring and battery alarm protocols) later. Perhaps a Quantar expert can respond on this point, as maybe there is a way to somehow legitimately "force" something in later, etc.?

The NEW supply is 700 watts, NOT 625 watts. KEWL!

Lots of info is in the p/s manual, 68P81095E33-O and SMR-6205.

BTW, "NEW" is a relative term! Motorola's documents covering this "new" p/s are dated 5/15/97-UP, and are current.

BTW, someone mentioned that the old p/s had the fan in the rear of the supply, whereas the new p/s has the fan up front. The picture in the current p/s manual for the so-called "new" supply clearly shows that the fan is in the rear, so maybe someone can shed some light on this? Perhaps there is an even newer supply, or there was some sort of an interim model that had the fan up front?

My takeaways: 1) The new, non-exploding 700 watt Quantar p/s RULES, and 2) for $300, you get a lot of bang for your buck, and the 28 volt battery back-up set-up would be awesome! (e.g., all automatic, and all battery health and status is actively/continuously monitored in the RSS!). Try finding a COTS p/s with all of those functions built in.

Have fun!

Larry
xmo

Post by xmo »

I believe that the high power Quantar power supply that is currently shipping is the CPN1047A [w/o charger] / CPN1048A [with battery charger]

These are detailed in 68P81095E88 dated 11/15/99 or newer. They are manufactured by Motorola, have the fan in the front, and are rated at 625 Watts. [oh - and they are non-exploding!]

Larry, didn't you say you just got a couple Quantars? What power supply came in them?
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

xmo, this is getting to be a BIG can of worms! On both of my Quantars, I ordered the X30 option, and I don't know what the model number of the p/s's are, without making a trip to the mountain top (whereas my DIU3000s are handy, being on my desktop!). Next trip, I will check, and in fact, this gives me enough of an excuse to burn some Jet-A and get up there to check for mice pee in the Quantar cabinets!

My recollection is that the fans are in front, but I'm not at all positive.

If the latest model is a 625 watt, then what the heck happened to the 700 watt supply rating from 5/15/97-UP? Why would they come back DOWN to 625 watts?! Generally, when a manufacturer uprates a product (such as increasing the power rating of an uplifted p/s), they don't retreat to a previous lower power rating!

xmo, check out 68P81095E33 for a complete description of the 700 watter.

To be continued...

Larry
xmo

Post by xmo »

The CPN1042A power supply is rated at 700 Watts, has the fan in the back, has a shield plate covering most of the holes in the front panel, and is manufactured by Onan.

Larry, your stations undoubtedly have the CPN1048A Motorola built power supply.

Just an FYI for anybody replacing a failed Quantar power supply - contact the Motorola System Support Center for assistance. The new supplies have some issues with older stations. Certain station control boards are not compatible and will be damaged if the new supply is installed. The station control board can be exchanged with a modified replacement. Another issue relates to error messages if the station firmware isn't new enough.

When you do exchange one of these - if you fail to return the old unit they will bill you $2392.00 - kind of spendy for a power supply!
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

xmo, where will I find the part number?

Larry
xmo

Post by xmo »

"...where will I find the part number? "
------------------------------------------------

There is a sticker on the rear of each Quantar FRU that has the part number and serial number of that assembly.

On recent units, the sticker should be placed so that you can read it through the opening in the back of the Quantar cardcage - that way you don't have to shut the station down & remove the power supply.
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

O.K., xmo, I burned some Jet-A in the 333 early this morning and made it up to the site. No snow---it's summer! A bunch of hikers were standing around the outside of the fence, and ran off when I landed. Too bad they didn't try out the alarm and see how they would "enjoy" Bechtel Security greeting them! If they only knew how many ASTRO modems were in that building---probably some former, dishonorably rejected Batboarders!

Anyways, you were absolutely correct: Both Quantar supplies are CPN-1048A. It is REALLY easy to identify them, as opposed to the previous two p/s versions (the interim 700 watter, made from 1996 through 1998, and the original exploding supply). Whereas the current CPN-1048A has about 40% of its front panel (top half) drilled with cooling holes and you can see the front mounted fan, the previous 2 versions have maybe 80% of their front panels drilled with cooling holes. For instance, the UHF Quantar currently on eBay is clearly the pre-1999 p/s, as is Batdude’s.

The 700 watter is KEWL, though. Its P-P ripple is spec’ed at 50 mV, whereas the current CPN-1048A is spec’ed out at a krappy 150 mV P-P ripple! Less power, less clean, so what's up with that?! (Oh, yeah, maybe that's the "price" of a non-exploding model!).

Larry

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”