FCC compliance: station ID breaks

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

eboe

FCC compliance: station ID breaks

Post by eboe »

ok, i was just recently put in charge of the radios at work (even though i don't know much it's a govt job so that explains that). anyway, the repeater & frequencies that i'm going to be taking care of didn't have a morse code station ID system installed so i'm getting that done. i don't have the model number but it will automatically transmit station ID every 30 minutes. according to my motorola retailer, that is all that is necessary to comply with the FCC regs. i just wanted to double check that with you guys cuz i wanna do this right. is there anything else required? the guy that was here before me used to do some sort of radio check for every unit in the field on a monthly basis i think. i don't know the purpose of that other than to make sure the equipment is working, which is fine. i just wanted to make sure it wasn't required.

thanks
EBOE
RKG

Post by RKG »

1. The rules on station identification vary with the various radio services. I presume your system is a Part 90 public safety system.

2. The governing regulation is 47 C.F.R. section 90.425. It is complex enough that you really should get a copy, but I believe it may be simplified thus:

ID must be broadcast:

A. once per transmission or exchange of transmissions, plus

B. once per 30 minutes for any exchange of transmissions that lasts longer than 30 minutes.

3. There is no requirement of Morse ID. ID may be stated by the system operator or any dispatcher. Morse IDers are used to relieve the operators of the necessity of remembering to do this.

Most Morse IDer are programmed thus:

While radio quiet, IDer is quiet.

Once radio keyed, flag ("IDRequiredTrue") is set true.

Once radio unkeys with IDRequiredTrue set, countdown timer ("TailTime") is set for X seconds. (Usually 3 or 5 seconds.)

If, before TailTime expires, radio is keyed again, TailTime is restarted at full value.

IDer IDs if (and as soon as) TailTime timer expires while IDRequiredTrue flag is set.

On ID, a countdown timer ("LastIDTime") is set to 15 minutes (Part 90 commercial) or 30 minutes (Part 90 public safety).

IDer will not ID again unless and until LastIDTime expires, and then once radio is thereafter keyed, above described sequence repeats itself.

If you examine this sequence carefully, you will see that it is not in literal compliance with section 90.425: assume a discrete short set of transmissions; IDer IDs at end; and then before 15 (or 30) minute timer expires, there is another discrete short exchange of transmissions. IDer will not ID again; rule appears to require it. As near as I can tell FCC doesn't care about the discrepancy (nor does anyone else).

4. If you do use a Morse IDer, here are a couple of hints on how to keep people from losing their sanity:

A. Most IDers and controllers have an option for IDing during quiet periods, e.g., once per 30 minutes even if the radio is quiet. Kill this option.

B. Most IDers have an option of sending the ID without PL. Use this option. This way your users and operational listeners don't have to listen to the ID, which is not for their benefit, but for the benefit of the FCC, any co-channel users, and the like.

C. Section 90.425 has some technical requirements for Morse IDers, i.e., code rate, tone frequency, and use of polite IDs.

5. While I would never counsel anyone to igore the rules, exactly zero of the police departments whose radio operation I have reason to be familiar with broadcasts a station identification complying with section 90.425 more than once per day. This has been the case for over 30 years. I'm unaware of any police department being cited for failure to give proper ID.
eboe

Post by eboe »

thanks for the reply and good info. i didn't realize the reg's required the ID after every transmission. that seems a bit much, eh? honestly the whole thing seems a bit much, but unfortunately the politics here demand i at least make a good effort to be legit. my retailer only told me every 30 minutes was enough. and since we all know that hardly anybody follows the letter of the law on this one that should be fine. and i like your idea about transmitting the morse-ID without a DPL. that way it's there, but it's not. thanks
Will

Post by Will »

Sec. 90.425 Station Identification.

Stations licensed under this part shall transmit identification in accordance with the following provisions:
(a) Identification procedure, each station or system shall be identified by the transmission of the assigned call sign during each transmission or exchange of transmissions, or once each 15 (30) minutes during periods
of continuous operation. The call sign shall be transmitted by voice in the English language or by Morse Code.

There is some more in this section about the speed, tone frequency and deviation requirements also.

The thing to remember...if you do not use the radio, there is no need to ID every 30 minute time period.
eboe

Post by eboe »

yeah we use the radios heavily that's why i freaked when i read about the ID required for every transmission, but the way the paragraph you quoted was worded, the 30 minute thing is cool. thanks alot
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

I have yet to hear a single police, fire, or EMS dept state their call sign after every exchange over the radio and I sure as hell don't do it either.

Most reapeaters in use around here that are for a public safety agency automaticly morse ID every 15 minutes with no PL regardless of use or non-use of the channel.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Another point of sanity and to keep off the lynching list, read the rules carefully. Some place in there it will tell you the minimum deveiation required. If your looking to stay on good terms with those that have scanners, make sure you stay on the low end of the deviation limit.

I think it is like 2 Khz. of deveiation for the ID tone on the CW. I would have to go back and read it again. What ever you do, don't set it at the 4.5 Khz. level. The tar pot will be hot in short order and the feathers will come from a willing doner's pillow.

Jim

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”