ASTRO Encrypted?

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ExKa|iBuR
Suspended TFN

ASTRO Encrypted?

Post by ExKa|iBuR »

Hi all...

If I program up some conventional frequencies as ASTRO only, using Digital Carrier Squelch, and there's encrypted transmissions on there, will an XTS3000 stay muted, or will I hear the encrypted audio?

-Mike
Sundown

Re: ASTRO Encrypted?

Post by Sundown »

ExKa|iBuR wrote:If I program up some conventional frequencies as ASTRO only, using Digital Carrier Squelch, and there's encrypted transmissions on there, will an XTS3000 stay muted, or will I hear the encrypted audio?
Do you have an encryption module in the XTS (or is it VSELP with software), and do you have the right keys loaded?

Not sure if you don't have encryption there and you receive, but if you have it encryption capable with no keys the radio will say "KEY FAIL" when it receives the transmission.

You won't hear the encrypted audio unless you have the encryption keys loaded in the radio somehow.
Chrisjz
What radios do you own?: Motorola, GE

Post by Chrisjz »

First of all, if the transmissions you are trying to listen to are encrypted then you will hear nothing without the proper encryption module and encryption key and you have a better chance at seeing god then getting the correct key unless you have a low friend in a very high place... :wink:

If they are only Astro digital, not encrypted, then yes I believe you will be able to hear them. If it is a trunked system then you will need to program all of the tunked channels and scan them (minus the control channel) to hear what you want. Some more of the knowledgeable people here may be able to give you more specific information then I, but I think this will put you in the right direction.

chrisjz.
RocketNJ

Post by RocketNJ »

The XTS programmed for digital CSQ will not unmute on encrypted transmission unless you have the proper secure module AND proper keyload as others have already pointed out.

Some digital scanners will unmute on digital transmission and you hear garbled audio. The Uniden 785 shows ENC in the display to let you know it is an encrypted transmission.

George

ExKa|iBuR wrote:Hi all...

If I program up some conventional frequencies as ASTRO only, using Digital Carrier Squelch, and there's encrypted transmissions on there, will an XTS3000 stay muted, or will I hear the encrypted audio?

-Mike
ExKa|iBuR
Suspended TFN

Post by ExKa|iBuR »

Yes, what I meant was what George said.

My radio doesn't have an encryption module.

There's a bunch of conventional frequencies in use in my area that are used for surveillance I'd like to listen in on. Sometimes they are in the clear, sometimes encrypted, but always ASTRO. So, if I program them for ASTRO RX, when they are using encryption, I won't hear anything...as in the garbled audio.

-Mike
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

The encryption module would be a complete waste of money since you (hopefully) do not have access to the key(s), so what's the point?!

Larry
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

Your best bet for monitoring IMBE traffic is the PRO-96. Why fight it?

Larry
ExKa|iBuR
Suspended TFN

Post by ExKa|iBuR »

Okay, so with people talking about keys and all that other stuff, I'm even more confused now.

Here's what I want...

There's some trunked talkgroups on the system here that are sometimes in the clear, sometimes encrypted. If I program them in, and they DO use encryption, will I hear nothing, or will I hear garbled audio? I don't have any encryption module, so obviously no keys.

-Mike
ExKa|iBuR
Suspended TFN

Post by ExKa|iBuR »

Shaun... msg me on MSN..

-M
ssd
What radios do you own?: mts2000 mod 2 800mhz,as 3 vhf

Post by ssd »

MY XTS 3OOO M1 VHF will unmute on encrypted transmission. so i know when someone is talking encrypted
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Wow, way to Lazarus a 10 year old thread. Gotta be some kind of record.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
radioeng462
No Longer Registered

Post by radioeng462 »

It is not legal to decode encrypted transmissions so don't even try unless you want to bunk with Bubba in the Federal Pen.
Mfire39
What radios do you own?: APX

Post by Mfire39 »

wavetar wrote:Wow, way to Lazarus a 10 year old thread. Gotta be some kind of record.
I think you're right on that.. Prob the oldest thread brought back from a dirt nap that I've seen.. :lol:

-Marc
Stupidity creates job security!

If your radio has old firmware, programming it with the latest CPS will not add any new features unless you have the latest firmware to match..

CPS = Customer Programming Software, Not CPS Software.
ssd
What radios do you own?: mts2000 mod 2 800mhz,as 3 vhf

Post by ssd »

i just wanted to say my xts3000 will let me here it. why do you guys not like old threads brought back to life? thanks
mike m

Post by mike m »

Haven't you ever heard the " new years song" kinda along the same lines. Like dinosaur crap, but now that Marc has set the bar maybe I'll research the oldest thread and revive it just for nostalgia sake.
Mfire39
What radios do you own?: APX

Post by Mfire39 »

mike m wrote:Haven't you ever heard the " new years song" kinda along the same lines. Like dinosaur crap, but now that Marc has set the bar maybe I'll research the oldest thread and revive it just for nostalgia sake.

Sounds like a good research project.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

-Marc
Stupidity creates job security!

If your radio has old firmware, programming it with the latest CPS will not add any new features unless you have the latest firmware to match..

CPS = Customer Programming Software, Not CPS Software.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”