Wig-Wag Flasher for Chevy Tahoe?

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

radiouser

Wig-Wag Flasher for Chevy Tahoe?

Post by radiouser »

Does anyone know of a wig-wag flasher that will work with the Chevy Tahoe, I think the one I am getting is a 2001. I know there is the option of putting a flasher on the daytime running lamps (or at least I think), but would rather have the headlights. THanks in advance
cfdeng3

Post by cfdeng3 »

I HAVE THEM IN MY 97 TAHOE-IT FLASHES THE HIGH BEAMS AND NOT THE DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS. THE DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS STAY ON AS THE HIGH BEAMS FLASH.
jim

Post by jim »

98 and newer is totally different than the 97.

98+ used switched positive AND switched negative.

There's quite a bit to do in order to make these work on the high beams without getting the PCM pissed!
radiouser

how much trouble?

Post by radiouser »

How much trouble to get the daytime lights to wig-wag?
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Jim, do you have the wiring diagrams or hints for the 97 Suburban? I am 99% sure the truck had wig wags before, but I need to hunt down the correct wires. I flash has the 4 or 2 headlight flashing options, and I usually keep the fuse out of the DRL.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
jim

Post by jim »

As I remember, the 97 'Burb had standard positive switched lights. I don't remember th colors for high beam.
Mike in CT

Tahoe wigwags.

Post by Mike in CT »

For what its wortH: I was given a 99 Suburban (stripped down) with SINGLE headlights.

We couldnt find the DRL module anywhere under the dash (just wasnt where it was supposed to be... another great mystery story).

It was so much of a hassle to try to get the headlight flasher setup ((neg switch/single lites etc ) we took the easy way out:

clear strobes in the clear front lenses. Works great, Whelan is happy.!!

this might be a consideration.

Good luck!

Mike in CT
jim

Post by jim »

The 99 Burb is NOT negative switched- it is both negative AND positive switched. There also is no such thing as a DRL module on a 98+ fullsize GM truck. The DRLs are engaged by simply switching the two high beam filaments in series cutting each lamp to 50%
Code3Response
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

Post by Code3Response »

Not true in 99+ Jim. Remember the 99+ truck are the new body style (NBS), having seperate DRL lamp assemblies.
jim

Post by jim »

Correction:

The new body style with the seperate DRL light assemlies uses the PCM to control them. No module according to the OEM schematic.

The high beams on the new body style are switched on both the pos and neg sides. This is also "semi-controlled" by the PCM.
chiefops

wig wag for tahoes

Post by chiefops »

newer tahoes should not have any splices into hdlights/brakelights/revlights because of the computer and/or tranny. add a standalone flasher system using halogen bulbs installed into the hibeam headkight housing close to the hibeam bulb. nova and able2 make a system for this application.
FFParamedic571
Banned

Post by FFParamedic571 »

Ive used a standard flasher on 2003 Tahoe's without a problem. i know the 2000-early 2003's were ground side. I have yet to have one throw a code.
jim

Post by jim »

"newer tahoes should not have any splices into hdlights/brakelights/revlights because of the computer and/or tranny. add a standalone flasher system using halogen bulbs installed into the hibeam headkight housing close to the hibeam bulb. nova and able2 make a system for this application."

HUH???? According to whom?

2003 went back to standard switching.
98-02 is neg/pos switched.
chiefops

Post by chiefops »

was advised this by 2 different bigtime emergency vehicle upfitters.
Code3Response
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

Post by Code3Response »

I Sell the nova system - email me if interested.
FFParamedic571
Banned

Post by FFParamedic571 »

ok?? who?? Im sure Jim Or I know of most companies out there. I have yet to see anything like that come across my bench from GM. Fords were an issue with the PI's
jim

Post by jim »

I'd like to know who these large EV outfitters are! Obviously, they do not employ anyone that is familiar with automotive electronics. Most typical nstallers are capable of connecting power, ground and all of the lighting accessories, but there are very few that work in the field that have past automotive electronics and diagnostic experience to know how to do things as such. Without this experience, the best advice is "you CAN'T do that!."

Want a fun task? Disable the DRL lights in a 96 -99 Cavalier without illuminating the instument panel malfunction light and setting a code. I've seen many stereo and custom shops try this stunt with no success yet. There's only one in this area that successfuly works and it was done here. This is because I know how the system works from past experience working on this type of automotive system and took 5 minutes to read the OEM schematic to find that you had to connect 87A to 30 in one relay and had to open the #3 pink IC lead inject +5VDC into the cluster only when the high beam were not illuminted. Flash-to-pass did not inject the 5v. This is also why there are several 98-02 fullsize GM trucks around here with Sound-Off ETQSSSP positive-switched Q-Switch flashers running and other shops still saying "you can't do that" ...with them flashing in front of their faces.

This thread even goes back to the "Crown Vic backflasher" post where several argued that you can't do them. Some even argued that CVs use mechanical park interlocks (???). Knowing what's going inside of the OEM system makes a difference. Like I said, there are very few that will take the time to do things like this, let alone understand them.
commtek
Batboard $upporter

Post by commtek »

I think jim pretty much nailed the meat of the subject once again. Too many "installers" don't have a clue about the vehicle's electrical systems. Their answer IS usually "you can't do that" when they don't know how to accomplish the task. Instead of getting a schematic from a dealer or small repair shop (one of my friends small shops has a great PC based library, I think it's called "Alldata") and figuring it out, it is easier to not do it correctly, or say it can't be done.

A lot of the questions asked here can be solved by the same method, or mostly figured out, and then asking for help with specifics instead of wanting someone to give you a cookbook solution. There is no cookbook solution to every problem.
apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

Post by apco25 »

Hey Jim,

Really confused here because I swear in a previous post you said you can't wire up a headlight flasher on a 2003 without having to deal with the complex negative and positive swtiching used between the low beams, high beams and DRLS?

Now you say its back to standard pos side switching??????????

Which is it?

I ordered the Suburban in January and got it in March of 03.

I don't have time to wire it right now being in the police academy, but I;d like to do it when I get back.
"Some men just don't know their limitations"
jim

Post by jim »

98-02 is the neg/pos switched.

According to GMs schematics, the 03 is back to normal, but I have seen 03s with the 02 setup. This sounds like a typical GM mid-year change for the 03.

Technically, the 03 is positive switched, but it MAY not be.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Jim, I don't know too much into vehicle wiring so I ask this...

If you have a setup such as the 98-02? neg & pos swtiched headlights, how (if able) do you get them to flash? Standard flasher with some vehicle mods, or a fairly custom setup? I really don't know. I have seen the trend with the newer Ford F-series/expiditions etc using the fog lights as flashers...must just be much easier.

This thread makes for some interesting reading! :)
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
jim

Post by jim »

Make a new harness for both lamps, add a relay, diode and a standard (+) type flasher.

You'd have to view the OEM schematic to understand how this system works. It's fairly simple once you study it.

The new Dodge is a different story!
savtru

Post by savtru »

They mak headlight modules for DRL vehicles. The module goes in between BOTH (-) and (+) wires. I have one on my 98 Malibu! Works GREAT! Strobes too!
jim

Post by jim »

Put the one for the Maulibu on the Tahoe and you've just bought a new PCM at the bargain price of only $1700.00

Read the schematic before saying something like this. What if you took this advice from someone that was "assuming it worked just because it does on another car with DRL" and installed a standard DRL flasher on your Tahoe and you blew YOUR PCM?
Gerbil
Banned

Post by Gerbil »

1. replace the DRL bulbs with strobes on a low power (either neobe, or no more then 10 watt/head whelen or nova) power supply. Its amazing the output you get.

2. SOME. and i say SOME 2003 tahoe/yukon's are standard switching, and you can use a sound-off or whelen unit.
However, I dont have a clue which are which. Someone said it was a half-model year change. I just dont know when.
alex wrote:Enough is enough. We aren't the world's police.
savtru

Post by savtru »

JIM...Get a life moron! Did I tell the user to put mine on his Tahoe? NO you need to LEARN HOW to read. I simpley said what I did to MY vehicle with DRL. PS....They do make them SPECIFICALLY for the TAHOE too!
Gerbil
Banned

Post by Gerbil »

hey stupid hot-headed guy.
why dont you calm down, and re-word that reply so it doesnt make you look like an ass.
alex wrote:Enough is enough. We aren't the world's police.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

We'll just nip this in the bud now while we can. Maybe we should get a group rate on some flame retardent suits...

-Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”