Spectra FAIL001 UPDATE.

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Will

Spectra FAIL001 UPDATE.

Post by Will »

I am happy to report all the 16 Spectras that were here from BatBoard members were able to be repaired to original factory specifications. And the cost to the BatBoard members was less than $60 each not including shipping.

None of them required either a VCO or RF board replacement.

Some of the Spectras were in prety bad shape with some severe corrosion on the boards. If the EPA found out about my chemicals used to restore the boards, well I hope not....

Bottom line, They CAN be fixed without spending a fourtune......

If your Spectras are getting up beyond 8 years you may want to look at them or have them repaired.

I have also isolated a couple of other problems that the aging Spectras are doing. Noisey receive and transmit, microphonics, and ocasional FAIL001(cold and hot), are some of the problems fixed.

I even made a deal with UPS on shipping the Spectras back to the BatBoard members to save them some money.
Last edited by Will on Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jcobb

Post by jcobb »

A very good job by Will (as usual !)

Thanks!

Jack

Will

Post by Will »

UPDATE:

The more I dive into the 'older' Spectras, the more problems I find and have been able to correct. And I have been working on Spectras since the late 80's when they first hit the 'streets'.

I went ahead and ordered aftermarket replacement componets to use in the refurbishing of Spectras. These componets turn out to be far better than the original, and Motorola's replacement, parts. Cost less too.

I found out what was causing noisey receive and transmitt..NOT the VCO as others had sumised.

'Drifting' transmit power out put, missing or garbled transmit audio, all corrected.

'Popping' in the speaker on unsquelch or squelch closing, found that problem too....NOT the audio PA chip as most of us had thaught all these years, including me.

Garbeled and popping receive audio on Scan, it's not the audio PA.

Anyone had a problem I have not covered here? I would like to see them first hand.
jcobb

Post by jcobb »

I'm carving your PM address into my work desk top as we speak.

For and from all us Spectra-heads out here in batland -

MANY THANKS (yes, I'm shouting)

Keep up the good work. I and many others appreciate it.

Jack

posse401
What radios do you own?: MT2000, Saber I, SP50, Spectra

Post by posse401 »

All I have to say is Will is 'da man!

He fixed my Spectra, and then made everything right that was wrong with it. I definately recommend his services to anyone who needs them. Low cost, good communication, and quick turn-around time made for a sweet deal.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”