(another) APCOR question (from me)

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

JOHN 1807
Batboard $upporter

(another) APCOR question (from me)

Post by JOHN 1807 »

This project has been on and off with me for a while.

Its on again this week.

Question: With regard to the HIGH power apcor in "repeat" mode (using a handheld) Does anyone remember or know if I should be hearing any kind of repeater tail when repeating the handhelds signal through the apcor ?

I'm in the "playing around" stages and have used an MT1000 (configured for our mobile repeater)

So I set the apcor to "REPEAT" mode and sure enough it looks like the APCOR is repeating the MT1000's signal (APCORs X-mit light glows and the yellow "power" indicator dims) when I key up the MT1000 on the correct channel.

Unfortunately I have no way to hear the MT1000's repeated signal because:

A. the "repeat" mode on the APCOR confuses the life out of me.

B. the APCOR is still on its original "MED" channels.

C. the radio confuses me in general :-?

Any input appreciated!

Thanks- John
JOHN 1807
Batboard $upporter

Post by JOHN 1807 »

anyone?

repeater tail?
RADIOMAN2002
What radios do you own?: More than I can count

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

By tail, I am assuming you mean the hang time of a repeater. Also by hi-power APCOR I am ssusming you mean the unit that transmits and recives on the 460 mhz Med channels not the 458 hiway call box channel, which is supposed to go to the ambulance for retransmission. If both of the above questions are true then no. The APCOR in itself is not a repeater, it mearly allows full duplex transmission, of voice and telemetry at the same time. When you put the unit in repeat mode it just keys the transmitter for you, while still keeping the reciever on. A repeater control board would have to be installed to get it to act as a repeater, also the duplexer is not set up for the normal hi receive low transmit, it is set up more like a full duplex mobile which is what it is.
JOHN 1807
Batboard $upporter

Post by JOHN 1807 »

RADIOMAN2002 wrote:By tail, I am assuming you mean the hang time of a repeater. Also by hi-power APCOR I am ssusming you mean the unit that transmits and recives on the 460 mhz Med channels not the 458 hiway call box channel, which is supposed to go to the ambulance for retransmission. If both of the above questions are true then no. The APCOR in itself is not a repeater, it mearly allows full duplex transmission, of voice and telemetry at the same time. When you put the unit in repeat mode it just keys the transmitter for you, while still keeping the reciever on. A repeater control board would have to be installed to get it to act as a repeater, also the duplexer is not set up for the normal hi receive low transmit, it is set up more like a full duplex mobile which is what it is.
Thanks for the info,

BUT--I was under the (wrong?) impression that on the high power apcor that the repeat funtion did just that- repeated audio from a low power handheld.

I thought what you described as "just keys the transmitter- while keeping the receiver on" was a function of the "VOICE" position on the switch. (as opposed to PTT-which still keeps the receiver on)

and yes- I was refering to the unit (model) that transmitd directly to the hospital, NOT the low power unit which utilized a micor/memcom vehicular repeater setup. (that particular model I know has NO repeater function and is a full duplex mobile as you descibed)

I'm so damn confused !!! :-?

Thanks again,

John
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

John,
I had a few of these a few years back (the white box 10 watt units) with the idea of making portable GMRS repeaters out of them. When put in 'repeat' mode it does function like a repeater only problem the input/output frequencies are upside down. Basically the designed function
of the APCOR goes like this. When personnel are out of the ambulance and they do not take the APCOR with them they leave the APCOR in repeat so personnel that might be out of MED repeater range can use a
HT, transmit to the APCOR on 463###, the APCOR in turn re-transmits the received 463### on 468### (the normal MED repeater input) and
contact to MED-COM is established. Thought this was going to be a simple project as GMRS and MED channels are real close. Problem that came up was the 'upside down' repeat mode of the APCOR would require more expertise than I had in trying to turn it around and it would need a new duplexer ? If I recall there was no hang time causing a squelch tail, TX dropped out on the APCOR soon as the talkie was de-keyed. The APCOR looks like something out of Motorola's heyday, very nicely constructed. But the 'upside down' design of the repeat function complicates things quite a bit if you're looking to make a repeater out of them.
Jim
JOHN 1807
Batboard $upporter

Post by JOHN 1807 »

Jim,
Thats exactly what I was going to use it for (GMRS repeater).
I knew about the "upside down" problem and I'm going to experiment anyway, it only cost ten bucks (well, before ripping it open to play with anyway)

I had previously talked to a fellow batlaber a while back (richyradio) who had given me some possibilities/ideas so I'm going to play around with it and see what I can do.

I haven't yet decided if I should go the route of "divorcing" the two radios- (both Mx boards) and see if I can get the duplexer retuned and/or try to refit the boards with Mx-S boards (to avoid the re-rocking cost) as I think you mentioned.

Either way, Thank you for your clarification and input.

Time to make another donation :lol:
GREENRADIOOPS

APCOR

Post by GREENRADIOOPS »

The 12 watt units do work as a repeater in the repeat mode. The hang time is very short as received from the factory. I have converted them to work as a "normal" repeater by retuning the duplexer to the desired operatig freq pair. NOTE you will have to switch the 2 cables on the duplexer, so that the old receive side now goes to the transmitter and so on. One of the cables is to short and you will have to either make up a new one or CAREFULLY unsolder both from their respective boards and resolder on the opposite board. You cannot simply retune the duplexer since each side has a limited range. There are a number of mods you can do to make these more like a regular repeater. I will gladly share my knowlege. CRAIG
JOHN 1807
Batboard $upporter

Post by JOHN 1807 »

Craig,

Thanks for the advice.

I'm anxiously awaiting the Fedex man for delivery of my apcor and I would appreciate any advice-- I had cracked open a high power before but it wasn't mine to mess with, This one IS so I will take any/all advice out there!

Thanks

John

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”