MTX 8000 B3 to B7

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

rangerfourever

MTX 8000 B3 to B7

Post by rangerfourever »

Got a MTX 8000 B3 and would like a B7. Need to monitor a TYPE II system. Was told new code plug etc and it will work. Anyone know the cost of such work. Thanks
ANB_Medic
was sja505
What radios do you own?: Jedi's, MCS's, and Waris

Post by ANB_Medic »

You can force a Type II codeplug into a B3 and it'll work fine.

Todd
Sorry, I can't treat stupid...
ExKa|iBuR
Suspended TFN

Post by ExKa|iBuR »

Well, it depends on what you're trying to do.

If you want a B7 because you want the front display and keypad, well in that case, you'd need the B7 housing, keypad, and electronics. However, you can't use a front display (B5 or B7) with a B3 controller board. The board just doesn't "know" what a B5/B7 is. Rumour has it that there were some B3 radios shipped with a controller that would recognize B5/B7 electronics, but they are very rare.

If you just want a B7 because you want Type II...as Todd said, a B3 can be made to do Type II simply by dumping in a codeplug. There's no reason you can't use a B7 codeplug in a B3 radio, but you should note that without the proper controller or faceplates, you won't be able to use any of the front buttons or display, but you can still use the side buttons and top knobs.

If you want a display but can't find a B7 controller, you could always upgrade your B3 to a B4 which has a 6 character top display. This is what I use, and actually prefer, because it's very easy to see what channel you are on when it's on your belt.

You can pick these up pretty cheap...I've seen them go on here and eBay for anywhere from 25 to 50 dollars depending on condition.

-M
VoIP: BAT-MIKE (228-6453)

Are YOU hamsexy?

ATU# 312
Fuel4300
Batboard $upporter

Post by Fuel4300 »

If you force a B5 or B7 codeplug into a B3 it will work fine on Type II. As mentioned above, you cant get the front display and keypad without changing the controller board. However, you can make it a B4 very easily. All you need to do is obtain the housing with the display and other electronics and swap it out.

Its nice having the display with the 48 modes. I love my B4 Mtx8000!

Mike
k4wtf
Batboard $upporter

Post by k4wtf »

What does the radio think about the lack of a concentric switch when you force a B4/B5/B7 codeplug into a B3?

Just wondering.

John
Check out The New and Improved Bat Lounge

http://www.batlounge.us
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

John, the concentric switch is present, even on HT1000's, it is just not used (by covering it up with a larger knob). As mentioned before, it is a piece of cake to convert an MTX8000 B3 into a B4 MTX/MTS and get the top display, as well as the concentric switch (which you simply put an MTS knob set on). The top display housing is designed for a concentric switch to be used.

I have put C4 MTS c/p's into MTX8000's, bought the NTN7152 front covers off ebay for 50 bucks, and ended up with nice top display radios.

But as far as adding a front keypad/display to a B3, forget it. Requires replacement of controller or the masked ROM to recognize and communicate with a front keypad/display cover.
rangerfourever

B3 mtx 8000

Post by rangerfourever »

Thanks guys, great info as always! Looks like a codeplug is all I need to get the B3 to talk/monitor a TYPE II. I only paid $75.00 for the radio however so have to weigh cost vs. benefit. Maybe a good shape STX would do the trick.
ExKa|iBuR
Suspended TFN

Post by ExKa|iBuR »

Also, I should have mentioned.

If you're so inclined, you can make any MTX8000 radio, be it B3, 4, 5 or 7, do 255 modes. You can also easily modify your channel knob to be continuous rotary, so you can have more than 16 channels per zone.

I wouldn't recommend this for a B3, but certainly anything other than a B3, it would work great on.

It's a physical modification for the channel knob, but if you don't want to get handy with a soldering iron, I have a number of assemblies that are already coninuous rotary, I can mail you one if you wish.

-M

Are YOU hamsexy?

ATU# 312
OX

Post by OX »

In addition to the physical switch modification, there's also a codeplug modification to get the continuous rotary to work. Unless someone has figured it out, the standard C/R option in the codeplug tool does not enable it. Care to elaborate on how to get this to work? You never did elaborate about how to get more than 10 trunking channels into the scan list. I'm still holding my breath on that one too and I'd like to turn back to flesh color so please hurry.

You can enable the 250 modes through the CPT and add more than 10 zones and access them that way. I can substantiate that one...
rangerfourever

Post by rangerfourever »

I think the 16 knob will be enough. I just need to monitor a couple of talk groups and talk on two. I am a seasonal officer in a lardge midwest city that currently uses MTS 2000s, but the ones we got are not working well. The last couple of summers I used a STX 821 that worked better than the MTSs but sold it for much needed cash. Picked up the B3 and hope to get it work as I said on a couple of talk groups in a portable only Smartnet system.
ExKa|iBuR
Suspended TFN

Post by ExKa|iBuR »

Yes, you're right...I forgot to mention that (it's been awhile).

For some reason, you cannot simply "enable" C/R in Lab. You must have a codeplug that does C/R from the factory. But, if you have the software to enable it, you've also got the software to force in another codeplug.

M

Are YOU hamsexy?

ATU# 312
policefire786

Post by policefire786 »

anyone got a cp from a c4 mts? can I still get the B7 front display to work with a c4 codeplug? I only need 6 charachters
"Guns don't kill people, husbands that come home early do".. Larry the Cable Guy

Your radio information directory http://www.radioinformationpages.com
ExKa|iBuR
Suspended TFN

Post by ExKa|iBuR »

Be warned you can't use lab with an MTS because of the toolproofing "feature".

No, you can't use a front display with a C4 codeplug...it's an entirely different controller. No software can make it work.

-M

Are YOU hamsexy?

ATU# 312
10-95
Fail 001 "Brain out of Lock"

Post by 10-95 »

ExKa|iBuR wrote:Be warned you can't use lab with an MTS because of the toolproofing "feature".

No, you can't use a front display with a C4 codeplug...it's an entirely different controller. No software can make it work.

-M
You could use lab but it really depends on the firmware version, it would have to be a low enough firware version .

Frank

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”