Transit/Limo handset-type mic

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

VA3XDJ
was orbit303

Transit/Limo handset-type mic

Post by VA3XDJ »

Hey.

Does anyone know the model number and availability of a mic used by transit and limo services that looks like a phone (not DTMF) and has a hang-up cradle that switches off the speaker on the radio when picked up?

I'm looking to get one of these for my base and for use in some surveillance ops.

I did a search but that yielded nothing.

Thanks for your help
jhook

Post by jhook »

i have what they call a remote thats shaped like a old style desk phone that hook's to your radio by 2 wire's and you can control the volume it has the telephone handset with a push to talk button in it made by motorola i do have a pic if you would like to see if it's what your wanting thank's jhook
BAT9228
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

For what radio model?
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: A few! Most I sign out!

:

Post by Jim2121 »

depends on which radio you use?

Post by Bob »

Spectra, Astro Spectra, Syntor X9000 - HLN1220B - List $270
CDM Series - AAREX4617A - List $132
MCS2000 - HMN1085B - List $231
CTAMontrose
was grem467

Post by CTAMontrose »

our local bus system has the spectras that use these, i believe they are the metrocom spectras, 800Mhz conventional with the handsets... how does the driver know that they are being called? does it "ring"?? ive listened to their repeater and havent heard any MDC.

i did think it was neat that they had a clock on the spectras display.
chipjumper
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: XTS5000 for work

Post by chipjumper »

Doesn't FDNY use them? I remember seeing that Captain Pfifer guy talking on one in that french 9/11 documentary.
VA3XDJ
was orbit303

Post by VA3XDJ »

Hehe I guess I did miss some relevant details...

Its black in color, shaped like the 90's era mobile telephones (AMPS) handsets but has no DTMF on the backside but a PTT on the inside between the speaker and mic.

Would be for use on an SM120, so Maxtrac/Radius pinout.

It also has a square hangup craddle that the top part (speaker) sits in to unmute the radio's speaker.
VA3XDJ
was orbit303

Post by VA3XDJ »

For the selective calling aspect, they probably use the MDC to page each unit individually.

Around here they use GM300s with "select" channels for different routes/areas that share common ground.

Our other company uses Gandalf Silent Dispatch which is a selective calling system where the operator (driver) hits either Call or Emergency and the dispatcher picks it up. The dispatcher can also reach one driver by entering his bus ID or a general call which rings all buses, all the while riders have no idea what is being said on the air. I like this better than the concept of the GM300s but its different budgets and technology requirements.

The Gandalf silent dispatch suite also provides a tracking system using scattered transponders linked by leased line at strategic intersections and a distance/speed counter attached to one of the wheel's hubs to provide distance travelled/ETA estimates.
VA3XDJ
was orbit303

Post by VA3XDJ »

http://www.motorola.com/businessandgove ... AAREX4617A

This is the newer version of the mic I was referring to.

I'm looking for the older version, used if price is right.

Thanks
ExKa|iBuR
Suspended TFN

Post by ExKa|iBuR »

I'm not sure if it helps any, but I picked one of these exact toys up from a hamfest a year or so ago. I think I paid 10 dollars for it...so they are certainly out there.

One other feature they have which I really like...there's a reed switch in the earpiece of the unit, so when you "hang up" the mic, the radio sees it as going into HUB mode, so it'll scan, but when you pick the radio up, it takes of "off hook", so that will suspend scan, as well, if you have a Maxtrac set for Handset mode, it also mutes the radio's speaker and routes the audio to the handset.

If you can get your hands on one, they are definatly nice toys :)

-M
VoIP: BAT-MIKE (228-6453)

Are YOU hamsexy?

ATU# 312

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”