MT2000 to MTS2000 - Learned some more things...

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kc7gr
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Sunair (HF).

MT2000 to MTS2000 - Learned some more things...

Post by kc7gr »

After having a chat with Moto Parts ID, I've learned some things that will be helpful to others attempting the conversion.

First off, in reference to my previous post: A new controller is definitely needed, and the correct part is PMCN6150B. This is a generic replacement controller for the MTS2000 series. It is usable with VHF, UHF, 800 and 900 radios. It can be ordered like any other part, but you must provide a radio MODEL number and flashcode at the time of ordering.

The other controller I mentioned -- the NCN6153 -- is for the MTX8000 series. This is, undoubtedly, why it has 1MB flash space as opposed to 256K for the other controller. Trunking, options, etc., all take up more space.

Once I can scare up a little more funding, I will actually put this project to the test. Stay tuned for further results.

Keep the peace(es).
Bruce Lane, KC7GR
"Raf tras spintern. Raf tras spoit."
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

well that is kinda cool, so you can provide the model number and flashcode of your choice (a "whored out" one too?) and they will sell you a controller ready to go. This might be cheaper than buying a flashport upgrade, that is, unless they tack that onto your 280.00 controller order. I priced a Smartzone H38 flash for an MTS2000 and it was around 700.00. If they will just sell me a controller flashed the way I want it, I guess a 280.00 price isn't a bad deal...

I was under the impression that MTX8000/MT2000's used masked ROM for firmware hence you couldn't "flash" them...guess it is cheaper to stock a couple of flash capable controllers now that the Jedi product line is going away (how sad).
ExKa|iBuR
Suspended TFN

Post by ExKa|iBuR »

Yeah, I was just going to ask. If you called up and ordered a controller wiht a whored out FC, but a legit one...I wonder if they'd even question you.

-Mike
VoIP: BAT-MIKE (228-6453)

Are YOU hamsexy?

ATU# 312
xmo

Post by xmo »

It will be interesting to see how you make out with this project because the whole thing still looks confusing to me.

PMCN6150B shows as "Controller 256K" @ $361.46 List which I would believe to be the right controller for a MT2000 or MTX8000.

NCN6153A shows as: "1 MEG Flashport" @ $392.20 List which I would believe to be the correct controller for MTS2000.
Victor Xray

Post by Victor Xray »

Yah I was thinking the same thing too, xmo.
kc7gr

Post by kc7gr »

xmo wrote:It will be interesting to see how you make out with this project because the whole thing still looks confusing to me.

PMCN6150B shows as "Controller 256K" @ $361.46 List which I would believe to be the right controller for a MT2000 or MTX8000.

NCN6153A shows as: "1 MEG Flashport" @ $392.20 List which I would believe to be the correct controller for MTS2000.
I'm a little puzzled as well. Moto parts ID tells me that the PMCN part is the right one for an MTS2000, and that it replaces earlier ones such as the NTN7620 series, as well as the NCN6150. They had Florida on the other line when they told me that, so I'm assuming that Product Services knows best.

I was also told that the model number and flashcode is required to order either controller.

More to come. Stay tuned. I'm just glad Moto doesn't charge me list prices (ouch!)
Bruce Lane, KC7GR
The Pager Geek
What radios do you own?: Disney FRS

Post by The Pager Geek »

According to the Basic Service Manual; Appendix B, Version history you can see the following pattens

NCN6140C is for HT1000
NCN6146A is for JT1000
NCN6147A is for MT and MTX series V,U, and 800
NCN6150B is for MTS2000 V, U, 800
NCN6153C is for MTS and MTX 900Mhz

tpg
Experienced Provider of Useless Information
OX

Post by OX »

FWIW:

I once talked to a dealer on the phone from Kentucky. He told me basically what you've found out but there's more. He said that the model number and serial number that you supply is looked up and the same flash that was put into that radio originally is flashed into your newly supplied controller. So they may be checking the model numbers that you supply.

He developed a work around by keeping track of all the radio model numbers that passed through his shop and their flashcodes. When he wanted a nicely "whored" out flash, he would supply M with the appropriate model number from his list.

I don't remember who this guy was and I've long lost his contact information. He did give me a model number, serial number and flash code for a whored out MTS with everything for when I really wanted to upgrade my MTS C4. I never did it though.
kc7gr

Post by kc7gr »

OX wrote:FWIW:

I once talked to a dealer on the phone from Kentucky. He told me basically what you've found out but there's more. He said that the model number and serial number that you supply is looked up and the same flash that was put into that radio originally is flashed into your newly supplied controller. So they may be checking the model numbers that you supply.

He developed a work around by keeping track of all the radio model numbers that passed through his shop and their flashcodes. When he wanted a nicely "whored" out flash, he would supply M with the appropriate model number from his list.

I don't remember who this guy was and I've long lost his contact information. He did give me a model number, serial number and flash code for a whored out MTS with everything for when I really wanted to upgrade my MTS C4. I never did it though.
Actually, it's the model number and flashcode they're looking for. They didn't mention anything about the serial number at the time.

I may end up resorting to the workaround you describe, though I'm hoping not to. I really don't need a "whored out" code. I just want one that supports conventional operation, 250 modes, and that allows for hardware-based SecureNet (DES, to be specific, since that's what I've got in terms of hybrids).

Thanks for writing.
Bruce Lane, KC7GR

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”