Modesto, CA - 41 stolen radios

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

videonerd
What radios do you own?: Little Tikes walkie-talkie

Modesto, CA - 41 stolen radios

Post by videonerd »

http://www.thekcrachannel.com/news/4109670/detail.html

And apparently this is just a small case, lots of 800mHz trunked radios have been stolen from CA school busses.
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

They didn't mention make and model of the missing radios in the article.

Any idea on that? Though they probably won't show up here in the midwest, i do a lot of buying and selling online, eBay, as well as other person to person deals. I want to be aware of what might be stolen.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
Station House Products
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

Post by Station House Products »

Man, here we go again! I swear, there's a roving band of school bus bandits out there making the rounds of the country. A few years back, we had a bunch of school bus companies get hit over in NJ, NY and PA (all within 40 miles of each other). Smart when you think of it though. I mean, who the hell locks a school bus? With any luck, they'll eventually catch 'em.
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Years ago we had a couple school buses stripped of their radios and antennas. They kids that did it got caught when they tried using the radios.

But i think these guys must be smart enough to know better. Most likely they are stealing them to sell.

But anyway, if anyone finds out what model they are post it please. We should have a stolen announcement board on here for everyone to post reports of stolen radios. They all turn up online eventually.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

/\/\y 2 cents
On Moderation
What radios do you own?: iPhone, Blackberry, HT220

Post by /\/\y 2 cents »

with all the cops in modesto distracted by the michael jackson fiasco, one would think it would be pretty easy to wander between all those busses and just rip them right out....you would probably need a chopper and a birds eye view to even see the guys doing it since the good guys view is obstructed by 3000 buses.....it was probably a fairly large yard too, you can get lost in those big yards, its like a maze! Im not gonna say i dont have any prior experience from when I was 12 or 13 in this subject, but I do feel bad for the taxpayer who ultimately foots the bill (who happens to be me.)
Radio_Cowboy
What radios do you own?: Too many to list

Post by Radio_Cowboy »

RadioReference has a topic going of the same subject....I believe they were Kenwoodies of some sort. Took everything but the bracket.

http://www.modbee.com/local/story/98261 ... 5928c.html

At least they had something decent to take....back when I rode the bus, our district used VHF Moxy's and Maxar's... :evil:

-RC-
Last edited by Radio_Cowboy on Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Y'all are just Jealous that the voices only talk to ME
eboe

Post by eboe »

kb0nly wrote:...We should have a stolen announcement board on here for everyone to post reports of stolen radios. They all turn up online eventually.
we do!
http://www.genesisworld.com/StolenRadios/default.htm
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce and brave man, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Thanks for the link, i'll keep that site at hand for future use!

Crimestopper

Post by Crimestopper »

It sounds like the same MO, our here in Phoenix Arizona they did the same thing I think to the Glendale School District.
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

kb0nly wrote:But anyway, if anyone finds out what model they are post it please. We should have a stolen announcement board on here for everyone to post reports of stolen radios.
NCIC - only if you have the access or the ability to use it tho. the genesis thing is nice for quick local stuff.
/\/\y 2 cents
On Moderation
What radios do you own?: iPhone, Blackberry, HT220

Post by /\/\y 2 cents »

2 different yards in the same month......Nuts!
posse401
What radios do you own?: MT2000, Saber I, SP50, Spectra

Post by posse401 »

It happened again ... in Woodland, CA this time. Same area. These thefts are within 2 hours or less driving time from each other. Same MO of school buses.

http://www.thekcrachannel.com/news/4225441/detail.html

Someone must offloading these ... be nice if it was told what kind, etc. so be on the look out on eBay etc...
Will

Post by Will »

Seems that there is a whole bunch of Kenwoodies showing up in Baja, Mexico.

There has been a few incidents in So. Ca also, mostly Kenwood mobile radios.
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

Radio_Cowboy wrote:RadioReference has a topic going of the same subject....I believe they were Kenwoodies of some sort. Took everything but the bracket.

http://www.modbee.com/local/story/98261 ... 5928c.html

At least they had something decent to take....back when I rode the bus, our district used VHF Moxy's and Maxar's... :evil:

-RC-
When I was at school, the buses had really, really cheap Uniden CBs on channel 3 :x

Not exactly worth stealing.
Station House Products
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

Post by Station House Products »

mr.syntrx wrote: When I was at school, the buses had really, really cheap Uniden CBs on channel 3 :x

Not exactly worth stealing.
Back when I was a kid, CBs were the shiznak! :lol:
VA3XDJ
was orbit303

Post by VA3XDJ »

Uniden CB's cheap?

I dunno, maybe price wise.

I do know that my PRO-510XL and President HR2510 were anything but cheaply made and sounded better stock than most modded Galaxy's and SuperStar's.

Just my 1.82 cents (Canadian)
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

Sorry, I should have mentioned that they were UHF CB (477MHz). For UHF, they make some of the nastiest little intermod boxes you'll ever see anywhere.

As far as 11m is concerned, my President Washington base sounds excellent on SSB.
Cowthief
Fail 01/90

Unibra? Cobdin?

Post by Cowthief »

Hello.

The uniden and cobra radios are almost the same thing.
So, if you were to cross some of the parts, what would you call it?
If I really wanted to be a channel slob, I would get one of the magnum radio S-9 pieces of,,,,.
That thing will do "50 watts of swing with 1 watt of carrier".
Whatever happened to 100% modulation?
And, yes, it would seem that there is now a triving market in stolen radios.
In Mexico you can buy or sell just about anything from the US, as long as you pay the "bite".
wa2zdy

Post by wa2zdy »

I rode the school bus before two way radios were required. So there weren't any on the buses I rode.

My mother drove a school bus for nearly 40 years. I remember when the company she worked for got radios. They were properly licensed but the selection of frequency by the dealer/coordinator was suspect. They were on the same frequency as the school buses in the next town.

That wasn't as bad as a bus company in the same next town. They were on the same frequency as the first aid/rescue in that town. I remember listening to that disaster on the scanner. It wasn't corrected for years.

Go figure.
Chris,
Hamming 31 years
http://www.wa2zdy.com
Wesley Chapel, Pasco County, Florida
Snow? What's that?!
The human race is proof that Darwin was wrong.
Rayjk110
Banned

Post by Rayjk110 »

Fortunately at the High School I attend, our radios haven't been touched. The only major thing they (other kids) did was slash some tires on the bus according to the local paper. The only radio damage that was done is that they cut the antenna coax (it dangles on the side of the bus because our district uses mag-mount UHF) so the district had to replace the antennas. We still use the good'ol Maxtracs and in a few busses there are M1225's, wich have horrible TX audio compared to Maxtracs from what I've heard.

Just my 2 Cents
Radio_Cowboy
What radios do you own?: Too many to list

Post by Radio_Cowboy »

wa2zdy wrote:I rode the school bus before two way radios were required. So there weren't any on the buses I rode.

My mother drove a school bus for nearly 40 years. I remember when the company she worked for got radios. They were properly licensed but the selection of frequency by the dealer/coordinator was suspect. They were on the same frequency as the school buses in the next town.

That wasn't as bad as a bus company in the same next town. They were on the same frequency as the first aid/rescue in that town. I remember listening to that disaster on the scanner. It wasn't corrected for years.

Go figure.

That sounds like what was going on out here in New Mexico. ALL the school buses in central New Mexico used to be on 2 or 3 VHF frequencies, as per the hancho's at the Civil Defense department back in the cold war days, so that in event of a emergency, they could get a hold of a large number of people on only a few select frequencies.....and one so happened to be 155.160...our primary SAR frequency now. Luckly, there is only one major bus company left that still uses that frequency anymore, so after 6 pm on weekdays and all weekend long, it's pretty quiet.

As for 11 meters.......I still have my President Madison with the Turner Expander 500 mic sitting here on my desk.....I don't think I've even turned it on in at least 5 years now....the wind wrecked my starduster antenna, and just haven't seen the need to put up a new one. ahhhhh...the memories, though.

-RC-
Y'all are just Jealous that the voices only talk to ME

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”