GTX - keeping 1 trunking channel

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

GTX - keeping 1 trunking channel

Post by kcbooboo »

I have a GTX mobile and a GTX portable, both on 927 MHz. I've been told that I must have at least one trunking channel programmed in them, in order to use the conventional channels, so I kept it in and active. Several questions pop up:

1. Can I delete, or maybe de-activate, that trunking channel (1-A) so I only have conventional channels programmed in?
2. If I delete the trunking channel, will I turn the radio into a brick?
3. If I do delete the trunking channel and the radio ceases to function, will I be able to put back the previously saved codeplug, one with the trunking channel, and get the radio back the way it was?
4. Is this "restriction" a myth or is it reality?

Thanks.
Bob M.
Jonathan KC8RYW

Post by Jonathan KC8RYW »

It depends on what version of the GTX you have.

The LTR models you can "hide" the trunked mode in RSS.

On the P/P models, you just have to deal with it (ie: 1A.)
73 DE KC8RYW
Random Motorola Part Number:
SYN1894B - V3m Sprint-branded Battery Cover
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

These are both standard, no frills, not LTR, not Privacy Plus.

I have what I need to delete the trunking channel and info. I just don't want to end up with a brick or a door stop if this is a Martha Stewart "Bad Thing" to do.

Bob M.
Jonathan KC8RYW

Post by Jonathan KC8RYW »

It's really easy to do. I can't remember exactly, but it's super-easy to do in RSS. It's been *counts on fingers* at least 4 monthes since I've programmed a GTX.

I think it's under "disable personality" IIRC.
73 DE KC8RYW
Random Motorola Part Number:
SYN1894B - V3m Sprint-branded Battery Cover
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

Yes, there is a field for "Personality: Enable/Disable", at least on the conventional channels. I haven't fooled with the one trunking channel at all, lest I suffer the wrath of /\/\. But if that's all it takes, and if I still leave the info present in the code plug, I'll give it a try.

If something goes dreadfully wrong, I'll be a bit more than upset !

Bob M.
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: A few! Most I sign out!

:

Post by Jim2121 »

I have a group of people here who run GTX 900mhz. mobiles & HT's (appx: 4-6 of us ) & we have the same prob.... If we delete, or turn off that 1 trunking channel. we get an error message! So theres at least a half a dozen out here who have the same problem...gota have that 1 trunking ch. in there!
unless someone comes up with the right hex...so to say....
A-42
Banned

range

Post by A-42 »

what kind of range can one get with 2 gtx 900 in a normal city no big buildings or hills 10 miles??? doing about 15 watts and just a antenna on the center of the roof
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Re: :

Post by nmfire10 »

Jim2121 wrote:I have a group of people here who run GTX 900mhz. mobiles & HT's (appx: 4-6 of us ) & we have the same prob.... If we delete, or turn off that 1 trunking channel. we get an error message! So theres at least a half a dozen out here who have the same problem...gota have that 1 trunking ch. in there!
unless someone comes up with the right hex...so to say....
Ditto. I tried to delete that trunked personality and it just beeps at you and calls you stupid. Since there is only one repeater here and I never change channels, I've never really cared. The radio powers on to where I left it so I never even have to look at it.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

More about trunk delete/hide on GTX portable

Post by Tom in D.C. »

I have two GTX portables. On one the ability to hide the 1-A trunking channel shows up and lets me do exactly that. On the other radio the option does not appear on the screen at all, and I'm stuck with the 1-A channel all the time in plain sight. The you-know-what is V4.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

The you-know-what is V4.
:lol:

I know someone with a GTX, i'm curious now and will have to ask about that. I assume then since some radios can and some can't it might be a matter of making a change to the ones who can't so they work like the ones who can? Man, that was a confusing sentence to think up.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
d119

Post by d119 »

As was previously stated:

The LTR models allow you to hide the trunked personality so it doesn't display on the radio.

The Privacy Plus models DO NOT allow you to do this.

Compare the model numbers of those two radios, I bet they differ.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

kcbooboo wrote:These are both standard, no frills, not LTR, not Privacy Plus.

I have what I need to delete the trunking channel and info.

Bob M.
Out of curiosity, if they are not LTR or Privacy Plus, then what kind of trunking is in them? All GTX are one or the other. I personally know of no way to delete the 1A trunked mode from the PP radios...the LTR as stated you can.

If you're thinking "I'll just change it to an LTR model", it won't work. The firmware in the LTR is different than the regular PP models, and you'll get an "error 06" on the display if you do try it.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
AEC
No Longer Registered

GTX...

Post by AEC »

I have the same troubles with the GTX portables, you can't dump the one trunking channel or the radio goes 'nuts'.

When I attempt to diable or deactivate the one trunked channel, I get no use of the radio on the conv. channels programmed, and this goes for the one T/A channel I have as well on Ch. 10.

And I have yet to find a way to hide this channel either, so it's always on the display, but at least I don't have to 'scan' that channel in my scan list.

More 'fiddle time' is needed, maybe a work around is simpler than we realize.

Either way, this is just an annoyance really, and doesn't hamper use of the radio, which is a good thing above all else.

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”