Programming a trunked radio.

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Trm70c

Programming a trunked radio.

Post by Trm70c »

If i were to buy a couple of trunked radios with their previos systems still in them, could my local shop reprogram them to my system or would they be locked because I don't have the system key? IF this is true what can be done?
Tyler
Chris

Post by Chris »

Ask whomever is selling them to remove their system info. Without a system key, you cannot completely remove a system. You can add systems with the proper keys though, so you are not at a complete loss.
metro121

programming trunked radios

Post by metro121 »

All you need is one system key and you can remove any and all other trunked programming in any radio.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Pardon my error. I always believed you needed the specific system key for the system you are trying to remove. Never tried any other way.

Thanks..Chris
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Post by RESCUE161 »

I just got a Spectra, and can't do anything with it. Is there anyway around the system key to start over with a new system? I just want to program conventional channels in it, but it won't let me due to the radio still has another system in it. Thanks,
Scott
Trm70c

Post by Trm70c »

thats exactly what I was worried about
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Anybody can add conventional channels to any trunked radio (assuming it's capable of conventional operation), you don't need a system key! It's a completely different section of the RSS, you simply create your conventional personalities (F4, F5, F8 from main menu for the Spectra). It does suck if you have a lot of trunked modes already in there, as the conventional channels are added onto the end.

Todd
Do-Anything

Post by Do-Anything »

Hello,
If I remember right. If you program a new system, which includes a valid system key. Once the system key is validated by the RSS than all other systems can be removed and then you can go back and remove the new system as well. I have done this with spectra's, maxtrac's. MTX's,and I think GTX models.
April

Post by April »

Next question is: where are we going to get a system key to be able to remove existing trunking info? Or a dummy system key?
10-95
Fail 001 "Brain out of Lock"

System Key

Post by 10-95 »

You can optain a copy of the system key from the system administrator, that is if you are supposed to be using the system. That is provided you are trying to re-program it for a new system.
Trm70c

Post by Trm70c »

just to clarify, I'm not trying to pirate airtime, I am buying a used uhf ltr radio with the previos owners system still installed and I just wasnted to make sure my M dealer will be able to put his system in it. Anyway I think perthcom gave me the answer I need.
Tyler
AngelFire_91

Post by AngelFire_91 »

Do-Anything wrote:Hello,
If I remember right. If you program a new system, which includes a valid system key. Once the system key is validated by the RSS than all other systems can be removed and then you can go back and remove the new system as well. I have done this with spectra's, maxtrac's. MTX's,and I think GTX models.
I'm currently having this same problem with a MTX that I bought off Ebay. The administrator failed to remove the Previous system. How are you able to program a new valid system, for when you go to system type and put in trunked (this is on a blank system) it say's a vaild system key is needed to modify this system, now keep in mind this is a blank system I'm trying to enter in. So therefore I'm not able to put a valid system in because it won't let me put any new trunked systems in, I am able to put conventional one's in though.
You can optain a copy of the system key from the system administrator, that is if you are supposed to be using the system. That is provided you are trying to re-program it for a new system.
The problem with this is, the radio's have been bought off Ebay, and the system administrator is not around to ask. I have asked the person I bought the radio from and he does not know. I have checked the S/N and made sure that it is not stolen and all that stuff. However I can't speak for Trm70c, but I'm sure that he has made all the proper decisions since he was asking if his MOT shop would be able to do it.[/quote]
Will

Post by Will »

I have a whole bunch of radios that I am NOT able to remove the extstinc system from. I want a blank radio if it is going to someone else, I will always put a test frequency in it for the other guy..
10-95
Fail 001 "Brain out of Lock"

trunked radio system key

Post by 10-95 »

I guess I need explain a little better. You mentioned you bought the radios on ebay, I understand that. The system administrator I refered to would be the run who runs the system you want to put the radio on now that you own it. If you are allowed on the system then I see no problem getting the system key from the administrator of the system.

Frank
RidgeRunner

ok

Post by RidgeRunner »

Well this brings up a good point, I was going to buy a maxtrac to listen to the smartnet type II instead of buying a scanner. So I may as well not, b/c I thought I could just buy it and pop in the freqs. Well good post I learned some!
AngelFire_91

Re: trunked radio system key

Post by AngelFire_91 »

10-95 wrote:I guess I need explain a little better. You mentioned you bought the radios on ebay, I understand that. The system administrator I refered to would be the run who runs the system you want to put the radio on now that you own it. If you are allowed on the system then I see no problem getting the system key from the administrator of the system.

Frank
Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't mean to sound upset if I did, I was just explaning. I do have the Key for the system I'm going to program to, but I'm having a problem putting stuff in because if I go to put a system in, it say's I need the Key for the previous system, not for the one I'm putting in. Hope that clearifys something??
Twisted_Pear
Batboard $upporter

Post by Twisted_Pear »

AngelFire_91 wrote:
10-95 wrote:I guess I need explain a little better. You mentioned you bought the radios on ebay, I understand that. The system administrator I refered to would be the run who runs the system you want to put the radio on now that you own it. If you are allowed on the system then I see no problem getting the system key from the administrator of the system.

Frank
Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't mean to sound upset if I did, I was just explaning. I do have the Key for the system I'm going to program to, but I'm having a problem putting stuff in because if I go to put a system in, it say's I need the Key for the previous system, not for the one I'm putting in. Hope that clearifys something??
Maybe you can try to change the system id, for the one you want to delete, to a system id you are enabled for. Then try and delete.
AngelFire_91

Post by AngelFire_91 »

Twisted_Pear wrote:
AngelFire_91 wrote:

Frank
Maybe you can try to change the system id, for the one you want to delete, to a system id you are enabled for. Then try and delete.
I tried to change the system ID and it still will not alow me to access it. I can move the System and everything I just can't access it.
central150
What radios do you own?: Too many..

Post by central150 »

What on God's green earth is a SYSTEM KEY? :evil:
Trm70c

Post by Trm70c »

i
I thought I was in bad shape.!
Tyler :D
Trm70c

Post by Trm70c »

what about if you sent it into the depot, could they remove any existing systems? What is the depot flat rate on mobiles?
Tyler :-?
Do-Anything

Post by Do-Anything »

:roll: You guys! I can't figure out what problem you are having with this radio. If you have a trunked maxtrac and you program a valid system into it. Than you can and I say again can remove the other system. I have never had one that you couldn't. This is a trunking radio and you must have at least one valid trunked system in it. There are alot of good pleases on the web to learn about trunking and how to program these radios. If needed I would be glad to help you out. Please private message me and I will give you a hand with it. As long as the radio can be read from and writen too than it can be programmed. :lol: Thanks and I look forward to here from you. Darrell
AngelFire_91

Post by AngelFire_91 »

Do-Anything wrote::roll: You guys! I can't figure out what problem you are having with this radio. If you have a trunked maxtrac and you program a valid system into it. Than you can and I say again can remove the other system. I have never had one that you couldn't. This is a trunking radio and you must have at least one valid trunked system in it. There are alot of good pleases on the web to learn about trunking and how to program these radios. If needed I would be glad to help you out. Please private message me and I will give you a hand with it. As long as the radio can be read from and writen too than it can be programmed. :lol: Thanks and I look forward to here from you. Darrell
First of all, I'm not using a Maxtrac, I'm using a MTX800 and maybe I might be able to clear this up a little. I bought a radio, When I read the radio it came up with a trunked system in ID#1 and that was it. I wanted to take that system out and put another one in it's spot. So I moved it into spot #2, (I understand that you can not leave a Trunked radio without a trunked system in it.) I went to program A new Trunked system in #1, It says a valid system Key is needed to change into trunked. (I can program Conventional.) I have a valid system Key for the one I'm trying to program but not for the one that was previously in there. I am not able to put or take any trunked system into or out of the radio. Even if I have a valid system key for the one I want to put in. It is all from the previous system that won't let me in.

Is there a way to put a key into a system that is not going to be used????
Trm70c wrote:what about if you sent it into the depot, could they remove any existing systems? What is the depot flat rate on mobiles?
Tyler :-?
I'm going to stop buy there and see what they have to say about it tomarrow.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”