VHF vs. UHF : why the price difference?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

JOHN 1807
Batboard $upporter

VHF vs. UHF : why the price difference?

Post by JOHN 1807 »

I just have to ask, I have always noticed that there is a slight price difference between vhf and uhf radios of the exact same model, why is that????????
Woody_99
Batboard $upporter

ve must gat moose and squirrel...

Post by Woody_99 »

I'm betting for the same reason gasoline is a different price from town to town. Companies charge what the market will bear.
The VHF spectrum is sewn up.... public service, etc.
UHF is available to any business or company willing to share, rental towers and the like. So they cost more.
I'd be interested to know the exact reason too.
•·•·•

Woody

---Please use the EMAIL button, not PM, tnx!---
JohnWayne

Post by JohnWayne »

I always figured that it had something to do with UHF components and engineering costing a few bucks more. The PAs are a little more expensive, the components have to have a little better tolerances, a little bit more engineering goes in to it, etc. Of course I could be wrong, but that is my theory at least.

Jeff
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

Or else it's because there is more demand for UHF, so they jack up the prices.
Tony Soprano
Batboard $upporter

Post by Tony Soprano »

I'm kind of with John Wayne on this one, I do believe there is more engineering cost to UHF radios because a lot of them are prone to harmonics and noise. But I don't have any concrete proof of that.
RRrobby

UHF/VHF

Post by RRrobby »

I always figured that it had something to do with UHF components and engineering costing a few bucks more. The PAs are a little more expensive, the components have to have a little better tolerances, a little bit more engineering goes in to it, etc.

I agree with this analysis. I remember when lowband was still in common use. The low band units were even cheaper than the high band units. Now that there is very little use in low band, the manufacturers are charging whatever the traffic will bear for this.
Tony Soprano
Batboard $upporter

Post by Tony Soprano »

For the purpose of comparison, a lowband HT1250 portable retails at $940. A VHF or UHF model retails at $955, all models limited keypad. Not a great deal of difference between bands in this model.
JOHN 1807
Batboard $upporter

Post by JOHN 1807 »

Interesting,

I thought about the components thing but figured it wasn't enough to justify the price increase - although slight.

Then again, I guess they don't really need to justify anything- the price is the price!

I must say I never thought about the "supply and demand" idea- more of uhf spectrum available.

Thanks.
KG4RZU

Post by KG4RZU »

Components made in Malaysia can't cost more.... 50 cents an hour across the board for labor...
Cam
Batboard $upporter

Post by Cam »

KG4RZU wrote:Components made in Malaysia can't cost more.... 50 cents an hour across the board for labor...
That would be the labor. Radios are made of more then just labor.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”