Boast about your GOOD installs here!

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Adam

Boast about your GOOD installs here!

Post by Adam »

I see a lot of making fun of bad installs and the like.. so let's see if you can back your gripes with your idea of a good install. We all know what a bad install can look like.. so let's see your example of a good one.

Let's hear your "good install tips and tricks" and see the pics.
commtek
Batboard $upporter

Post by commtek »

This is typical of our custom SUVs. This one was for the federal Fish and Wildlife service.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/commtek_7 ... /my_photos
WhelenTech

Here are two shots....

Post by WhelenTech »

Custom stuff

and

KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

well u have all seen pics of my truck

i have other trucks i have done but they are lanscpaers/construction trucks and if i go take pics now they dont show off good work
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

This is a Chevy 3500 dump truck I worked on over the winter. It pales compared to that 'burban but it did come out quite nice.

Installed Whelen 500 series halogen reverse lights and LED stop/tail/turn lights. The stock lights down low totally SUCK, these new ones blow them away.

Rear warning consists of (2) TIR3 on the top sides of the dump. People are continually amazed how bright those tiny things are and the sync ability is the icing on the cake.

Guardian mini-bar permanant mounted to the roof and wired to the OEM overhead light switch on the dash (how nice of chevy!). Also, 1/4 wave NMO for the VHF radio.

Maxtrac, nothing special. However, if you could only see the mess that plow installers left, the radio installation would look like a gift from god. No, that piece of speaker wire with a 120vac light switch on it is NOT my work.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

nice job mat

the only thing i would have done is put the antenna in fron the light to get it away from the head board and used a contelco havey duty 1/4 wave
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

Ok, since this will probably lead to a nice sharing of pictures, here is what i just got done on my van. Always installing others gear, finally got mine done in between family and work.

Well, i guess i can't say its totally done... I still need to finish up bundling the control cables and coax to the radios mounted to the floor under the second row seating. I will get that done and some pictures of it once my VHF drawer gets back from Blue Feather Tech RF Services.

The console is an ex-chp unit from eBay. The mounting plates were all fabricated by a local metal shop, got them all done for less than half the cost of just one from any of the usual manufacturers. It's hard to tell in the picture but the heads are actually tilted up at an angle to help with daytime viewing.

There is also an accessory power jack on the front right side of the console which will be used later for a laptop mount, right now its nice for plugging in work lights and cell phone chargers, etc.

I didn't like having the mic cords going through the side of the console from the control heads so i made a panel with mic jacks and put new, longer, and more flexible shielded mic cords on the two DTMF mics i had. The switches are simply there to control the radios, up is constant on, middle is off, and down is ignition controlled. This was done because the install will be including a smart charger for the vehicle battery, so if i had it parked at field day or hamfest for the talk-in radio or in an emergency situation where AC power from a generator or other source was available i could use the smart charger and shut the engine off and use the radios without having the key on. This is also a benefit to my wife who likes to have the radios off most of the time, that is until i get her convinced to get a ham license!

For right now there is a VHF X9000, UHF X9000, and a Genesis series charger. The Pac-RT switch in this unit will be used in the near future, i plan on using it for turning on and off a crossband repeat using the X9000's, still working the bugs out of the interface between the two radios. If anyone has done this before let me know by email how you got it all working.

The split loom tubing is covering the main 4 gauge power lead to the internal fuse panel. This power lead is protected at the battery with a 80a circuit breaker, purchased from Waytek.

The first blank panel on the console is going to have some 1/4 turn fasteners for quick removal to access the fuse panel and breakers inside, just haven't got that far yet.

The other wires in that tubing are a chassis ground to the frame of the vehicle which then grounds the console and also provides a solid ground to all the equipment, and a ignition switched source of power which goes to the switches. The switches by the way do not power the control head ignition sense wiring directly, there is two relays which are switched on and off by the switches.

The reason i do this is i do not like drawing any more power than necessary from the vehicles fuse panel and the ignition switched power sources in the average vehicle sometimes have noise issues so i like to use relays to isolate the ignition sense. The only thing coming from the existing vehicle wiring is one 3amp fused lead to power the relay coils through the switches when the ignition is on. The feed for the relays is fused separately at the console fuse panel, one 3amp fuse for the VHF and another for the UHF. I only use the green lead on the head, the orange lead is disabled by setting to uninhibited in the RSS and is not hooked up. The battery side of the select switches is also fused at the fuse panel of course. The other benefit is that i have relays installed with a 30amp capacity if i ever need to add further equipment. Upgradability is always factored in, and i overbuild everything.

I'm thinking about putting the orange wires from the heads to a hidden switch or relay somewhere on the console so that i can inhibit TX when necessary at the flip of a switch, mainly because of my two young boys and their roaming fingers.

The radios main power leads are powered by 40a circuit breakers in the console, purchased from Waytek.

Last but not least, the antennas. (Sorry about the picture, they are a little hard to see) A 5/8 wave VHF Larsen NMO150C, and a 3.4db UHF Larsen NMO440C. More than adequate for coverage in my area. The antennas are of course on through hole NMO mounts. A tip, on the Caravan you can just pull down the dome lights and install the antenna mounts. With the light pulled down you have a good 4in or larger square opening to the roof, but be careful, the backside of the dome light is not insulated, just plastic standoff feet to keep it from touching the roof. I just put some liquid electricians tape over them to prevent any shorts while working on the antenna mount.

The coax is just snaked down the pillars to the radios. The UHF coax goes down the rear drivers side corner behind the trim and the VHF goes down just behind the drivers side door.

My main goal was to keep it simple, organized, and family friendly. Perhaps a DVD player for the kids with a swing down monitor would be a nice addition down the road.

What you think?
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
wa2zdy

Post by wa2zdy »

Nice work all.

As for the DVD for the kids . . . We bought a 2004 Honda Oddyssey brand new last September. It included the DVD player - a $1000 option. Biggest waste of money I could imagine. There was no TV in the car when I was a kid. In fact we didn't have a TV until I was 11 (in 1972.)

Then we turned the thing on for the kids. My youngest rugrats are HELL most of the time. That TV just shuts them up - it's fantastic. We drove to Florida from NJ and back last month. Never knew the kids were back there. No questions about "how much longer Daddy?" or "can we stop for the bathroom now?"

Also took the Gamecube along and they played that thing for hours too. If anyone wonders, the Gamecube runs on 12v. The power adapter is nothing but a piece of wire with a cigarette lighter plug on one end and the Gamecube connector on the other. It retails for $29.95. We found one on fleapay for 1 cent and $7.95 s/h. If you can find the Gamecube power connector, that's the only thing that was tough to find. Otherwise, it's just a wire, no adapter at all!

That DVD player? Best $1000 I EVER spent. Go for it, you'll be glad you did.
Chris,
Hamming 31 years
http://www.wa2zdy.com
Wesley Chapel, Pasco County, Florida
Snow? What's that?!
The human race is proof that Darwin was wrong.
apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

Post by apco25 »

I REALLY like the tahoe with the custom console and the PDRC mount.

I guess I need to repost pictures of my setup in the 03 suburban again :)
"Some men just don't know their limitations"
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

Good thread, nice work, keep those pics coming.
1STOPCOPSHOP

Post by 1STOPCOPSHOP »

I have a few to brag about, dont know how to post them though. thanks
"IT'S UNWISE TO PAY TOO MUCH, IT'S WORSE TO PAY TOO LITTLE. WHEN YOU PAY TOO MUCH YOU LOSE LITTLE MONEY-THAT IS ALL. WHEN YOU PAY TOO LITTLE, YOU SOMETIMES LOSE EVERYTHING. BECAUSE WHAT YOU BOUGHT WAS INCAPABLE OF DOING THE THING IT WAS BOUGHT TO DO"
1STOPCOPSHOP

Post by 1STOPCOPSHOP »

I figured out how to post well here they are, and thank you to adam
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jraudiogc ... /my_photos
"IT'S UNWISE TO PAY TOO MUCH, IT'S WORSE TO PAY TOO LITTLE. WHEN YOU PAY TOO MUCH YOU LOSE LITTLE MONEY-THAT IS ALL. WHEN YOU PAY TOO LITTLE, YOU SOMETIMES LOSE EVERYTHING. BECAUSE WHAT YOU BOUGHT WAS INCAPABLE OF DOING THE THING IT WAS BOUGHT TO DO"
Adam

Post by Adam »

Good pics, nice work.. I love that "certified install" it's hilarious
Cheeko

Post by Cheeko »

Hi guys some nice installs about

I really like the rear of whelen techs install any chance of some more pics :-) whats it used for it looks really really really impressive

im currently working on a demo car a volvo v40 I know not the best choice for an install but its a nice motor fairly easy to work on hardest bit so far was the siren as its perm 12v with neg switching so figured out a 12v normal relay in line only trips once you hit the horn and the output going to the siren horn ring saves me running lots of cables through firewall for it.

I will post pics once its been done and the wiring tidyed up a bit as its a righ dogs dinner at the momment once I have built the holder in the boot all the cable and box of tricks is being put on the rear behind the rear seats.

Havent been activ on the board for a bit will try and catch up :-)

Paul
WhelenTech

Use....

Post by WhelenTech »

The use of the Tahoe is just a Fire Division Chief.... there are 2 of those units and 5 Surburban - very similiar setups...

Here are the more complicated ones.... We did not build these - but we are the administrators of the design , layout and proper execution of all the projects that come through our company... as in the end user expects us to deal with everyhting and they turn the key and we tell them how to use it... We actually have more responibility than the installer becasue we have to deal with the integration issues before the build..

http://wattco.net/samples/1.jpg

http://wattco.net/samples/2.jpg

http://wattco.net/samples/3.jpg

http://wattco.net/samples/4.jpg

http://wattco.net/samples/5.jpg

http://wattco.net/samples/6.jpg

http://wattco.net/samples/7.jpg

http://wattco.net/samples/8.jpg

Cheeko wrote:Hi guys some nice installs about

I really like the rear of whelen techs install any chance of some more pics :-) whats it used for it looks really really really impressive

Paul
akardam

Post by akardam »

Damn! What nice clean installs!

You guys are located out by Fairfield, aren't you? I think I've called y'all a couple of times for references to local Whelen dealers...
WhelenTech

Yes.....

Post by WhelenTech »

These above installas were done all by local install shops...

With the guidence of botht he customer and us to make the end product one that actually works for the user... something that is dead in todays market... Installers have to put the customer first when dealing with mobile office style installs - it is not how we the installers want it - it is how they want it - we just tell them they are nuts and will hate it if we do it their way..
WhelenTech

Just bear in mind...

Post by WhelenTech »

Just remember that good installs cost good money.... these are all easily 40-60 hour installs - and out here most shops charge 70-125 an hour for labor....

Welcome to CA - where everything is expensive..

Its the shops that charge that and suck that really bother me..
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

But you can save money in the long run if you don't have to go back and fix what a bad shop screwed up the first time.
WhelenTech

Do it right the first time...

Post by WhelenTech »

Exactally - if you do it right - pay a bit more - then you shoudl never have to worry that your truck will not work in the field when you need it etc...

Repairs can be expensive... and I woudl never trust the truck after seeing a crap install in it..
Jay G.
Batboard $upporter

Post by Jay G. »

"Quality doesnt cost....it pays!"

I've actually turned down jobs of people who ask me to just throw the stuff in..it doesnt have to be neat - I tell them I dont work that way. I do it right, the first time, every time
Jay Goldmark, EMT
Ex-Captain, Woodmere Vol. Fire Dept.
Fire District Communications Supv.
KC2ZHI Amateur Radio Operator
Licensed Master Electrician
Owner, Top Class Electric, LLC.
Woodmere, Long Island, NY

"Enjoy Life, it's not a dress rehearsal !!!"

WhelenTech

Good rule...

Post by WhelenTech »

Thats a good rule....

Sometimes jobs are not worth it - plus when they find out noone will do it - they might come back.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”