FF Paging Question

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ANB_Medic
was sja505
What radios do you own?: Jedi's, MCS's, and Waris

FF Paging Question

Post by ANB_Medic »

I am a complete idiot when it comes to paging, other than I'd like mine to stop going off at night.

The local FD uses pagers for call-backs. What would it take for me to find out what the tones are, and would it be possible to put these tones into a pager of some sort? I do have the frequency, and have heard the tones on a scanner. I suppose I could record the sounds if someone has a good ear or the software to decode them.

I volunteer with them, not as a ff, but do get called out to major events. It'd be nice to have a heads up before they get around to calling me.

The budget is not there to provide me with an 'official' pager... I asked.

T.
Sorry, I can't treat stupid...
spareparts
Batboard $upporter

Re: FF Paging Question

Post by spareparts »

sja505 wrote:I volunteer with them, not as a ff, but do get called out to major events. It'd be nice to have a heads up before they get around to calling me.
Since you don't respond as a FF, You might want to consider offering to buy you own pager, matching it to what the department currently uses.

Offer to allow the person who programs the FD pagers to program it at your expense. A bit more expensive, but keeps everyting legitimiate in the eyes of the Chief.

Martin
commtek
Batboard $upporter

Re: FF Paging Question

Post by commtek »

sja505 wrote:I am a complete idiot when it comes to paging, other than I'd like mine to stop going off at night.

Ummm, turn it off....

I volunteer with them, not as a ff, but do get called out to major events. It'd be nice to have a heads up before they get around to calling me.

The budget is not there to provide me with an 'official' pager... I asked.

If they won't provide you with the equipment that you need, are they worth bothering with??

T.
ANB_Medic
was sja505

Post by ANB_Medic »

Okay, so far I've heard from the morality police and Mr. ICantUseQuote.

Anyone else?

T
kdean7

and you're looking for ?

Post by kdean7 »

so what is it that you are looking for really?
Your statement is somewhat vague and confusing which is why you may not have gotten many answers....
What would it take for me to find out what the tones are, (- If you are a valid member in anyway of the organization you should simply be able to ask anyone involved in the radios and pagers for the organization. Aside from asking there are many ways to do it such as connecting a scanner to a computer and "listening" for the tones then using software to anaylze the tones and decifer them. -search of the board will result in many different posts)
and would it be possible to put these tones into a pager of some sort? (Of course it is possible, if it wasn't there wouldn't be any pagers for the "official" members) I do have the frequency, and have heard the tones on a scanner. I suppose I could record the sounds if someone has a good ear or the software to decode them. ( with the right software you can do this yourself).

It sounds like your asking for someone to gather the tones for you, decrypt them, obtain a pager for you and program it accordingly. The people on the board are very helpful and friendly but that may be pushing it a bit too far.

If you could clarify exactly what you are asking you may find people more willing to help out.
Not trying to be mean just trying to point out what everyone else on the board is seeing.
ANB_Medic
was sja505

Post by ANB_Medic »

No worries.... Let's make a long story short then. If I were to put up a link with some paging tones, could someone decode them for me?

Also, could someone recommend a good pager to use for the purpose? It would be in the 160MHz range.

T
DPL

Post by DPL »

sja505 wrote:No worries.... Let's make a long story short then. If I were to put up a link with some paging tones, could someone decode them for me?
Yes. I use a program called CoolEdit96, which I'm sure many others use. I do not know if it is available anymore, but it is very easy to decode pager tones, or any other frequencies with.
ANB_Medic
was sja505

Post by ANB_Medic »

I'll give it a try... Thanks.

T

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”