Programming XTS-5000's with a KVL-3000

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Vilerat

Programming XTS-5000's with a KVL-3000

Post by Vilerat »

Help!

We are starting to field the XTS-5000's and our KVL doesn't seem to be able to fill these things, or I'm a huge idiot and I can't figure out the process.

I've been told by somebody in the field that the KVL-3000 needs to be set to P25 mode instead of ASN but this KVL doesn't seem to have that option (Go to config and the "mode" menu doesn't exist)

Is this how you do it? Does my KVL need an upgrade?

If I try to load it like I would load an XTS-3000 it gives a Key load failed message.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

The KVL version is 3.52.11
xmo

Post by xmo »

You can probably use your KVL in ASN mode if you enable PID key management in the XTS codeplug.
Vilerat

Post by Vilerat »

Wow, it worked. What exactly is PID mode and why did it work?
wb4bsd
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: XTS5000v, MTS2000v, MTS2000u

Post by wb4bsd »

Vilerat wrote:Wow, it worked. What exactly is PID mode and why did it work?
theres a sticky on encryption in this forum. Read over it and if you have any more questions let us know. The sticky deals with the XTS3000, but it should all be pretty much the same.
Rusty
(I no longer have nextel. I now have an iPhone)
SFD_Radio

Post by SFD_Radio »

ASN (Advanced SECURENET) mode is the standard mode of operation for the KVL 3000. This mode utilizes PID (Physical Identifier) key management. PID key management identifies a physical memory slot where a key is stored in a unit. All products that support PID key management will access the same encryption keys dependent on the physical store capability of the product.

ASTRO-25 mode is an optional mode of operation for the KVL 3000. If your keyloader does not have this capability it can purchased as a Flashport upgrade. This mode is required for P25 compliant systems. This mode provides CKR (Common Key Reference) key management. CKR key management stores key material in the secure device's key storage database, rather than storing the key in a physical memory slot. All secure products that support CKR's will access the same encryption keys independent of the physical storage capabilities of the product. CKR key management is used with ASTRO digital subscribers equipped with the Universal Crypto Module (UCM) that operate using CKR's. This mode is required for ASTRO-25 Conventional OTAR.

Hope this helps!

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”