Install Questions.

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

unlisted
was motosapien
What radios do you own?: Way too many...

Install Questions.

Post by unlisted »

I am new to this board but not new to installs. I have been mostly doing stereo installs for the past 8 years so I know how to wire correctly. I have recently been doing some radio installs.
Now I have to do an install with 3 or 4 radios, stereo, siren and lights. Should I be concerned about the radios, the stereo, lights and siren being on the same main line? I was thinking one 4-6 gauge + wire from the battery to mid vehicle with a fused split for the siren and light control, from mid to back of vehicle than split up with separate fuses for the radios, lights and amp(s). Of course there will be a fuse at the battery also. Do I have to be worried about any time of feedback, humming from the stereo-radio or vice versa? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

dunno...how cheap is the stereo?!!! :-) hahah, if it's all fused appropriately, and grounded appropriately...and you think you can safely rule out RF interference from your wiring...then it's all up to the end components...let me tell you right now...strobe packs are the devil, they are notorious for filling a nice clean B+ feed with noise.

that and a lot of noise can come from the car itself... :-)
unlisted
was motosapien
What radios do you own?: Way too many...

Post by unlisted »

hehehe stereo is pretty cheap (sony) with some nice amps.... The radio(s) that are going in I believe are MCX2000's; or was that 1000's? There is NO strobes as of yet, just good old halogen lights with flashers, and headlight wig wags, I believe there may be some LED's somewhere also. Siren is a FedSig 650 or a 640 don't know yet...

If I do end up installing strobes, do you recommend some type of noise filter?
IMBEJames

Post by IMBEJames »

I've always just grounded the shield on the strobe cables (RF dump) on the power supply end. As long as you do this and keep some distance between the strobe cables and line-level signal cables on your stereo setup, you should be fine without filters.

-Jamie
James Eslinger

York, Maine

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”