tone remote installers

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kb9suy
What radios do you own?: too many!!

tone remote installers

Post by kb9suy »

What is everybodys recommendation for tools for setting up simple tone remotes or dispatch tone remotes for consoles. Be it over telephone or just inhouse dispatch. Whats everybodys preference and specialty tools etc.
commtek
Batboard $upporter

Post by commtek »

You need a TIMS set to set the levels, and the knowledge to use it. Nothing else. :lol:
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

A plain old Simpson 260 VOM (or pretty much any analog volt meter with a "dB" scale) works pretty well, too. However, once again, you do have to know how to use it for that application.
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

I like the Helper Instruments LM106 "Helper Lineman".

It is a compact and versatile instrument that does everything you need to adjust and troubleshoot tone remote systems.

It is much easier to carry around and use, especially if you are working on outdoor pole mount base stations, than my HP3551A TMS.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

We use the "R-1034B" control line test set from Motorola, made by Triplett. Looks like something out of the mid-80's, but you can still get them new. Tough, small & lightweight...great working little unit.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Don't forget that there are different line levels. This depends on if your using telco leased lines, microwave, or your own point to point cable.

Don't forget that if there is more than one remote contol point connected in a single location, that only one unit should have the terminating resistor installed. This should be the remote the furthest away from the cable entry to the building. Leaving in the termination resistor in each remote control unit will cause line loading problems and audio level issues. I have seen this simple issue cause a problem where you can't generate enough audio to propperly modulate the transmitter. If you can, you end up cranking up the line level input to the transmitter so high, it causes hum and noise problems. You might even see intermittent keying problems.

Do your homework and start at the furthest remote. Check it. Then check all the other remotes on the common circuit. After you make shure only one resistor is installed, go back and set the line levels on all the units. If you don't do this and adjust one or more units and find more than one resistor installed, when you remove it, all the adjustments you have made will end up too hot.

Jim
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

Fluke 123 scopemeter is my favorite.
You can capture the tone sequence to check that the funtion tone is 10 dB down from Guard and that the hold tone is 25 down from the function.
Seeing is believing.
bernie
Batboard $upporter

Post by bernie »

My two bits worth:
Most of these remotes use a compression amplifier.
some manufacturers also have compression amps in the base station.

I have seen advertisements claiming line level setting is not required.
(GE MASTR PRO & Deskon remote comes to mind)

A compression amp has little effect on a good signal, however, can make a marginal signal really lousy.

Listen carefully while a subscriber gives a slow test count. Observe if the noise or "PL" tone changes with voice. The background noise should not vary.

The manufacturer of your equipment has instructions for setting line input level, the old Motorola equipment calls for setting to the knee of compression.

With a 2/3 max deviation 1KC tone on the base receiver (3KC on WB systems) set line out for specified line level, often 0DB, ocasionally -10,
log the measured line level at the remote, measure the audio voltage at the specified test point, (Motorola TP A) or the speaker, turn the line in to minimum then increase until the audio level no longer increases.
Aloha, Bernie
Dan562
What radios do you own?: Kenwood, Yaesu, ICOM, Motorola

Post by Dan562 »

One thing I'll mention in this post, if you're using a /\/\ MSF5000, MTR2000 or a Quantar Base Station, by all means take your computer with the proper RSS/CPS, Read the Station, Go to the Remote Wire Line Parameter, Disable the ALC on the Tx TRC & Audio Wire Line and Write the modified infornation back into station's software.

Then use your chosen test equipment and method of setting up the 600 OHM Wire Line HLGT/FT/LLGT and Transmit Audio.

Once you're satisfied with set levels, Read the station again, Go back to the Remote Wire Line Parameter, Enable the ALC on the Tx TRC & Audio Wire Line and Write the modified infornation back into station's software.

If for some reason you choose not to perform this simple task, you can count on being between the Remote Console & Tower Sites for at least 1 if not 2 days and spending a lot of time using colorful language with the problems you'll encounter. :evil:

The station's Automatic Level Control (ALC) is a great idea when dealing with level variation on the Tx TRC & Audio 600 OHM Telco Wire Lines.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”