Gamber Johnson articulating arm?

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

eboe

Gamber Johnson articulating arm?

Post by eboe »

I'm looking for a laptop mount that bolts to the passenger seat bolts and has the vertical pole and a swing arm. i saw the jotto and it looked ok, but then i saw the gamber johnson and it looks much stronger. the only problem with the gamber is that the articulating arm doesn't have any locking levers to hold it in place. i called gamber and they said that you adjust the 'tension' on the movement with allen wrenches and that's it.

does anybody have any first hand experience with these mounts? do they move around alot? or do you have to have the tension up so high that you can barely move the laptop when you want to?
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce and brave man, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

I have a GJ straight pole mount with the lowswivel option...and it stays pretty firm, but moveable...all depends on how tight you want to lock it down.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
GMC

Post by GMC »

Hello,

I put the jotto in my 05 Tahoe and am very happy with it. It sturdy and fully adjustable and you can lock it in any position you want

Gary
datainmotion

Post by datainmotion »

I've sold and used Gamber equipment since the mid-90s. Don't waste your time on the DS-ARM - it won't stay tight and in position if there's any thing heavier than a keyboard on it.

I used one since they "fixed" the "loosening" issue and it's still no good with the weight of a laptop and cradle on it.

And with all due respect to Gary, in my opinion, Jotto is just downright dangerous. Cheap would be the word I'd use. We won't compromise anyone's safety to save some $$.

Unfortunately, a good mount means $$. If you want a good, sturdy articulating mount, try http://ledco.net or any other Gamber equipment besides the "Arm".

Hope that helps,

Mike
Day off? What's a day off??

Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

GMC wrote:Hello,

I put the jotto in my 05 Tahoe and am very happy with it. It sturdy and fully adjustable and you can lock it in any position you want

Gary
Can you post or send me a pic of how its setup? I am planning on picking up a newer GM and would be interested in putting a laptop in there, like I have in my suburban. With the jotto pics, I can't tell if it would work well for what I would use it for.

Ideally, I would like to see how high the lower pole extends and where. In the burb the laptop is passenger friendly, but I don' think its too pass friendly in the last GM interior trim (99-06)
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
K4RXR

Post by K4RXR »

datainmotion wrote:And with all due respect to Gary, in my opinion, Jotto is just downright dangerous. Cheap would be the word I'd use. We won't compromise anyone's safety to save some $$.
Could you elaborate? What is it about the Jotto mounts that you think is dangerous?

I had a Jotto mount in a Ford Explorer. I'll admit to not being overwhelmed by it, mostly because it just seemed ungainly. Moving the computer around seemed to require loosening three clamps, repositioning, and then tightening the clamps. Just not convenient to use, in my opinion.

Bob...
datainmotion

Post by datainmotion »

First let me say I have no qualms with Jotto as a company

I have problems with their mounts and the safety of those mounts in an accident: Officers with injuries from equipment breaking loose during a collision, patrol cars with interior damage from laptops being launched off of their cradles during a collision and then the lesser items - knobs and levers breaking off within days of the mount being installed. Laptops with damaged hard drives and screens from the oscillations encountered from a substandard mounting system.

Good for those who haven't had these problems - but they have and will continue to happen with those mounts and plastic trays.

But hey, that's just my .02.
Day off? What's a day off??

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”