Looking for a bigger HD

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jim2121
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: A few! Most I sign out!

Looking for a bigger HD

Post by Jim2121 »

The Maxtor 300GIG external box is a good deal right now... someone sent me this... anyone have any experience with these?
I'm in need of more space in my notebook.
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

They work great! They also have a network version that you can put on a router and share to the entire network.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter

:

Post by Jim2121 »

Scott! kbonly-- got a very basic question for you, I drew a blank. I have that "Maxtor 300GIG one touch two"- -external drive on the way.
I also have a MTT80 80GB on the way: http://www.fantomdrives.com/specs/mtt80.php4
The 1st. thing I have to do is Format these two --FAT32 or NTFS?
I just have several pc's I would like to transfer files to the Maxtor.
The MTT80 is small enough to put in my notebook case & carry.
anything else, I forget?

Post by kb0nly »

I would format them NTFS as long as the computers your going to be using it with are XP or 2000.

If you plan on using it with other peoples computers and there is the chance of having to use it on a older windows system than FAT32 is the way to go.

Can't go wrong buying those drives, good reliable units.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

Jim2121
Batboard $upporter

Post by Jim2121 »

[quote="kb0nly"]I would format them NTFS as long as the computers your going to be using it with are XP or 2000.

If you plan on using it with other peoples computers and there is the chance of having to use it on a older windows system than FAT32 is the way to go.

Can't go wrong buying those drives, good reliable units.[/quote]

Using them with XP systems only... I asked a half a dozen people here & 4 didn't know & the last two said try fat/ try ntfs... "6 -1 - 1/2 dozen whatever" Thanks for the reply Scott! more later.. Jim Reid
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Well since it will be XP only then definitely go NTFS, better file handling and security if needed.

thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

another vote for NTFS on an XP only system...one less variable in the overall scheme of things.

(hoping for reliable NTFS kernel support for my debian systems sometime in the near future! :-))
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter

:

Post by Jim2121 »

I'm already done with the format in NTFS. Like I said above I just forgot?
works great. even has software to backup ...but it still has some bugs in the software. at least in this company.
Now the question is where can I get a case to put it in. ? or for transport?
Don't want to spen 2-3 times the price on a Pelican case than what I paid for the maxtor. all depends on how valuable the files are...! another time.
right now I'm still trying to get my internal clock back to normal from flying back into Arizona. waking up at 10pm......
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

You could buy a cheap laptop bag, heck they can be had for $20 at wally world these days and have nice padding and adjustable straps and so forth in them. Would give you a bit of extra storage space to boot.

If you don't like the software it came with try one called SmartSync Pro for backing up specific items on a regular basis.

If you want to back up the entire computers hard drive then look at a software called Acronis True Image, makes backing up an entire hard drive or just portions of it easy as pie. It even has a built in utility to burn a bootable CD for recovery, i can restore my entire hard drive in about 15 minutes if something goes horribly wrong.

Jim2121
Batboard $upporter

Post by Jim2121 »

[quote="kb0nly"]You could buy a cheap laptop bag, heck they can be had for $20 at wally world these days and have nice padding and adjustable straps and so forth in them. Would give you a bit of extra storage space to boot.

If you don't like the software it came with try one called SmartSync Pro for backing up specific items on a regular basis.

If you want to back up the entire computers hard drive then look at a software called Acronis True Image, makes backing up an entire hard drive or just portions of it easy as pie. It even has a built in utility to burn a bootable CD for recovery, i can restore my entire hard drive in about 15 minutes if something goes horribly wrong.[/quote]
Thanks for the tip Scott on the two software places. Funny thing you posted this. I just came out of wally world, I was looking at the cheap laptop bags.. also talking with the wally-worker in the pc dept. He said he would not put a maxtor in a plastic case, because of static build-up over time? He also said make sure if you get a plastic case. its EMC-ESC plastic or something that won't build up static? (just wanted to transport it from one house to another also just didn't want to toss it in the back of my pickup! Its too bad I'm looking at a case with protective foam for about $13.00
check this out:
http://www.casesbysource.com/merchant.m ... ct_Count=0
Let me know what you think? Unless maybe he heard me say Maxtor External HD. thinking I was just going to toss an open HD in a case?
more later Jim
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Not sure what he was talking about there, it's an issue with a bare drive yes, but one that is in the enclosure is not going to be harmed, the manufacturers thought about that ahead of time using the plastics that don't allow a static charge to build up.

I like that case for $13.00, i'm adding that website to my favorites, a nice find! I could use a few of those for various items, and i would use that over a laptop bag for the external hard drive, should keep it nice and safe from getting bumped around too hard. Although you still wouldn't want to just toss it around!

Jim2121
Batboard $upporter

Post by Jim2121 »

[quote="kb0nly"]Not sure what he was talking about there, it's an issue with a bare drive yes, but one that is in the enclosure is not going to be harmed, the manufacturers thought about that ahead of time using the plastics that don't allow a static charge to build up.

I like that case for $13.00, i'm adding that website to my favorites, a nice find! I could use a few of those for various items, and i would use that over a laptop bag for the external hard drive, should keep it nice and safe from getting bumped around too hard. Although you still wouldn't want to just toss it around![/quote]
the above drive is nice! already got a case in mind...
http://www.all-pelican-cases-4-less.com ... _1060.html
now for small & compact thats a pretty ext. HD They sell them here in AZ. for $50.00 more than if you call them or as I did called them & asked if they sell it? they sure do. But at another website:

http://www.micronet.com/General/prodLis ... at=Product

Scott! I think I better send you all my bookmarks! I don't have all the answers, but the few I do, I add to my favorites also. The kids are here for a farthers day weekend visit. thanks for your replies. see you down the log.... Jim
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Me likey bookmarks... LOL

Always looking for stuff to add to the favorites folder, haven't had much time to sit and surf lately!

I got a nice dinner today for Father's Day, and the added benefit of the wife and the kids leaving to visit family for a few hours, not used to the house being thie quiet!

Might have to turn on a couple more radios and the tv to make it sound normal.

Jim2121
Batboard $upporter

Post by Jim2121 »

[quote="kb0nly"]Me likey bookmarks... LOL

Always looking for stuff to add to the favorites folder, haven't had much time to sit and surf lately!

I got a nice dinner today for Father's Day, and the added benefit of the wife and the kids leaving to visit family for a few hours, not used to the house being thie quiet!

Might have to turn on a couple more radios and the tv to make it sound normal.[/quote]
and picked out the Seahorse SE-300 Empty (no foam, got pleanty of foam at work) $ 21.51 (you know I was born in NY also) the casesbysource.com/ store is in NJ..... glad I'm here. just after 6pm... off to the dinner table. Later Jim
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

That stinks! I was looking at the SeaHorse website, they got nicer cases anyway, and the prices are still reasonable as heck in my opinion.

I like the one option to get the panels for it, that would make a nice way to create a portable repeater by using the panel to mount everything.

alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Just FYI ---

If you stick with the FAT32 formatting (which is how they are formatted out of the box) you will also hit "You can't have files > 2gb stored on the drive. If that's not a problem, then your OK.

I agree with everyone else - NTFS is a much smarter way to go, providing your using 2000+ Operating systems.

Unix and older legacy systems will have problems with it - UNIX, depending on the driver, will only read and not write to NTFS.

Also, when taken apart, the one touch enclosures are some of the best IDE to Firewire/USB setups out there.

-Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

alex wrote:Unix and older legacy systems will have problems with it - UNIX, depending on the driver, will only read and not write to NTFS.
(wishing extra hard the stability fairy leaves a stable kernel module for NTFS under my /etc/rc.modules)

I've been using the (EXPERIMENTAL) NTFS module for almost 6 mos now and have not had any problems...i must be getting lucky.
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter

:

Post by Jim2121 »

Well Scott it happens. 1st time for me, I was going to buy on a website, and & little window pops up with $50. minium. Kinda thought $13 & change was too good to be true for that case. later
Hi Alex, I know several people that are buying up Maxtors, Theres been a new takeover with Maxtor but I did not have time to read it. Something about Seagate doing a merge and/or buying maxtor out? don't know yet.
Here's where I got mine:
http://www.jr.com/JRSectionView.process ... andStore=t
the maxtor on top (J & R in long island, NY is updateing there server)
MAXTOR One Touch II External Hard Drive E01E200
I did alot of price comparing (shopzilla, dealtime, pricegrabber ect.) Costco had the best price but, I'm not a member. I have it formatted in NTFS, don't think I have any files larger than 2 GB (I thought the PDF file said nothing larger than 4GB? but I'll have to re-read the manual)
They sell everything from 60GB to 500GB So I do have friends out there
that are buying two & three -- making two NTFS and one FAT32. sounds like the way to go! I would not buy a 300GB from J & R cause a friend got a Maxtor 300GIG for $179. If I run into a file thats bigger that 2GB that will give me an excuse to buy another one & format it in FAT32.

thebigphish: keep us posted on your experimental NTFS module. were all happy if you have no problems. and if any of has has a problem. I will post it here..... happy farther's day people! thanks for the replies & input
Jim Reid
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter

Post by Jim2121 »

thebigphish wrote:
alex wrote:Unix and older legacy systems will have problems with it - UNIX, depending on the driver, will only read and not write to NTFS.
(wishing extra hard the stability fairy leaves a stable kernel module for NTFS under my /etc/rc.modules)

I've been using the (EXPERIMENTAL) NTFS module for almost 6 mos now and have not had any problems...i must be getting lucky.
just a test on that quote matter in re: to your PM, now I turned it on? it was off. this does look better for quotes... thanks for the tip..jim

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”