Flashing headlights on 04 Explorer

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

rangerfourever

Flashing headlights on 04 Explorer

Post by rangerfourever »

Guys I know you will know this. Our newest squad SUV an O4 Explorer is wired to have the daytime running lights flash not the headlights. Before I work on the new Fleet Supervisor to change them( their light output sucks!), can the actual headlights be made to flash and if so why would anyone have only the daytime running lights flash? :-?
What radios do you own?: W7 FPP lowband MaraTrac w/AES

Post by 007 »

Are you in Canada? The US 'ploders do not have DRL's, nor is it an issue to hook up a highbeam flasher.
Do not make Sig angry...he'll just keep ringing the bell.
rangerfourever

Post by rangerfourever »

Yep my bad Not a Ford guy :) It is the smaller set of lights inside towards the grill.... not sure why you would not want to flash the lardger reflector like on our Service Officer F150s Sorry for asking the obvious but installs are not my expertise.
jayres

Post by jayres »

Have an 04 Explorer for my work truck and can explain that... The smaller inside lights like you describe are the high beams, which are what the wig-wag's go to... The larger lamps are the low beams. If you hooked your wig-wags to the low beams, you will lose your wig-wag's in the evening / night time hours when you have your headlights on.

I've actually got 2 2004 Explorers with wig-wag's on the high beams in service out there and they look fine, even with push bumpers/grill guards on them. On one of them, we even took a set of clear fog lamps, mounted them on the push bumper and placed another wig-wag set on them. (I thought it was overkill, but that's just me!) :P
rangerfourever

Post by rangerfourever »

Ok not thinking this week :-? we have a huge four day event in town and been working non stop. On the Explorer can you mount strobes into the low beam reflector for side flash? The problem with our SUVs is that our "garage" mechanics dont seem to get that they sit higher and thus the warning lights dont hit most passanger cars at the same level as from a VIC or Impala.....
jayres

Post by jayres »

Well, you could put them in the low beam reflector I guess, but for better side/intersection warning we put ours in the corner turn/marker reflectors... Still gives you good frontal warning and excellent side/intersection warning as well.
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

rangerfourever wrote:The problem with our SUVs is that our "garage" mechanics dont seem to get that they sit higher and thus the warning lights dont hit most passanger cars at the same level as from a VIC or Impala.....
i am confused, do you mean they think the low mounted lights (grille/dash/corner) don't work better or the rooftop candy? if anything a grille mounted light on a explorer (new lines) will hit a just around the same place a dash-top light on a CVPI will...

on a taller vehicle, the grille strobes & corner stuff will generally be a little more effective - in terms of being in peoples line of sight ...
rangerfourever

Post by rangerfourever »

Ya the overhead bar..... just wondering if strobes tubes in the reflectors would help for side flash?

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”