Federal Signal Smart Siren - Please Read

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Thunder Lucky

Federal Signal Smart Siren - Please Read

Post by Thunder Lucky »

Hello everyone, I was just curious about this system, The SS2000SM-SC system. I belive this is what the NYPD has. Im going to be going into the academy and wanted to learn somethings before hand. What does each and every button do? I know most of them except some..and on this keypad..where do you turn on your lights? I mean the NYPD cars have the lights over the back seat..in the grill..and the lightbars on top..along with the wig wags..How do you turn all of these on with that keypad? Im guessing Manual is already hooked up to the cars horn, thats why theres no button for it. And while holding the horn down you must press the priority button and air horn button to get those correct? I just need a break down of what all the buttons do etc. Thanks!
Regards,
Phil
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

I wouldn't worry about it right now. Each is configured differently for each department. It will come into play while you are out playing on the skid pan.

Don't sweat the small stuff.. besides, with NYPD all you need to know is how to use the manual button for the "woop woop!" Never seen a NYPD car going with the siren on full time :)
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Then you haven't spent much time in NYC!

Regardless -

I can't think of anything more whacker than asking about something like that before you get in to the academy...

I'd be more worried about figuring out how to best protect myself as an officer, and what I can do to get ahead in learning all the legal and responsible stuff that's required as an officer.

I'm sure you'll have more than ample time to play around with whatever equipment you desire once your in.

Be patient.

-Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
Thunder Lucky

Post by Thunder Lucky »

Well I just ran accross this and wanted to know what each button does. I know there are way more important things but I ran across this and decided to ask.. So does anyone have a layout of wha each button does? Im just curious.
Regards,
Phil
tensi0n
What radios do you own?: Motorola XTS 3000

Post by tensi0n »

just go to fed sig's website and download a manual or something. unless nypd has their own layout but it can't be that much different.
Thunder Lucky

Post by Thunder Lucky »

I did go to their website, They don't have a list as to what each button does.
Regards,
Phil
tensi0n
What radios do you own?: Motorola XTS 3000

Post by tensi0n »

this seems like it would help... :wink:

http://www.fedsig.com/products/docs/install/255333.pdf

...unless that link is not what you're talking about. :-?
Thunder Lucky

Post by Thunder Lucky »

Ok I read about it..thanks for that. Now theres a seprate set of controls for the light bar right?
Regards,
Phil
kg4ere

Post by kg4ere »

///
Last edited by kg4ere on Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
surgepgh

Spooky....

Post by surgepgh »

That's almost scary that someone would concern themsleves with something like that. And to be THAT worried about it... :o Almost like 9/11 scary. :o Just my 2 cents.
DaBigBR

Post by DaBigBR »

Here's how it works...

...exactly the way the instructors and training officers tell you it works.
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

and if it's like any other agency with a lot of vehicles, some will have this outfit package, some will have that....they're not all identical. Take a couple of vehicles from a couple of different model years and they will have completely different setups.
fubb26

Post by fubb26 »

there are a lot more important things to worry about. learn in the acadamey, then pay attention to senior guys when you get on the street. you will be in an impact command for a year and will never see the front of an RMP for a long time.
ILuvXMRadio
What radios do you own?: Plenty

Post by ILuvXMRadio »

lets be honest... if he's in NYC.. and working for NYPD, the chances of him in a cruiser could be slim......... Who knows...

Still an odd question to be that intense about...

very odd.
JustaBuff

Post by JustaBuff »

There is no ryme or reason as to how they are set up most of the time - NYPDs cars are all over the place on their configurations of how they set up their buttons and slide switch. I think it just depends on which tech at their facility is building their car at the time. Half the time most of it doesnt even work anyhow. We work on a line up of cars that comes out of their fleet services and its pretty much a nightmare each and every time we get one of their cars here.
FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”