USB to Serial for PDA's?

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

USB to Serial for PDA's?

Post by Pj »

Looking at getting a 9pin serial to USB adaptor for PDA/APRS use. Don't know too much about this stuff. I have a Dell X30 or 31 Axim.

Would something like this work?

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?c ... &sku=26886
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

The problem with the Axims (You have an X30 by the way) and communications is the PDAs use DHCP to get an address to communicate with the computer or device.

Simply plugging the USB cable for the PDA into a radio/GPS combo won't quite do it. There are a couple of SDIO Serial cards out there that you may want to try instead.

PS. This is why I upgraded to the X51v... CF Card serial port is easier to obtain.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”