Whelen CenCom MPC03

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

foreman

Whelen CenCom MPC03

Post by foreman »

Customer purchased digital Liberty light bars with MPC03 controls. Just a note - I'm not a fan of this product. They have used B-link and CenCom before this and... Back to my question. After running lights only for various periods of time, the control head shuts down and the light bar turns off. We have wig-wags ft/rear, mirrors, grill lights, all whelen, runing off relays. We had a unit at Whelen 8 hours yesterday. They were pleased with our wiring but are stumped on why its crashing. Has anyone experienced this and how did you correct it?
Shop Foreman
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

What are you running off of relays?

If everything is a SC product, there really shouldn't be any relays involved as just about everything is made in the SC version.

My guess is that there is a undervoltage issue somewhere with everything running. I'd get a meter on some of the lines and see what it is at.

What is the exact setup (model numbers) that you are running. What verison of SC programmer are you using? How long is the system running for before you have the problem?

BTW: The CenCom and the MPC03 are completely different animals, and things can get confusing interchanging the names. Since you eluded that you have done previous BLINK installs, I am sure you know what you are talking about. The last person who had MPC03 questions actually had a CenCom setup! :o

What do you not like about the product?
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
foreman

Post by foreman »

Sorry it has taken so long to get back on this - thanks for the reply and questions.
In addition to the Liberty bar:
Whelen hdlt flasher - non sc
Whelen tail lt flasher - non sc
Whelen mirror beams - non sc
Multiple TIR3's - non sc
shtgun release
camera sense(record on)
No voltage issues although we were at fist concerned the ALT was over-chging.
Yes - the version changes can be confusing and when ordering;unexpected.
Answer to problem after trip to DFW area was to send C/Hs back for another revision(already had current one). This was after sending all 43 MPC03 back due to board componet "not installed during assembly' that had us chaseing our tail for no PA audio.
What I don't like about the product:
1)It feels as if they push out their products without complete testing. Example - B-Link comes out and after installations useres take cars to car wash. Multiple returns for bars inop to find water has shorted components. C/H dosen't mimic directional with 2 wire verses 9pin. Then there are our current issues. They use customers to complete enginering
2) Hooking customer with low upfront cost with out explaining the additioal needs for installation. Example - Added non SC controlled devices needing relays. I'm left holding the bag for extended installation time.
3)customer service from Tech support. It is always something you did wrong, nothing ever wrong with product. I don't ming being quizzed in case I missed something, it does happen, but once we've been through all that find the problem with the equipment.
4) programming - I can program a Smart Siren before the laptop boots up.
5) Trouble shoot a data signal?
All that said, we love many of their other products and our rep is a great guy. In fact, all the manufacturers have a specific item or line we couldn't live without. We have just been burned by SC to many times.
FEEL BETTER NOW - THANKS
Shop Foreman
Pj

Post by Pj »

Sounds more like the customer didn't know what he was buying exactly. The BLINK/SC line has been out for well over 10 years. I personally have one controlling SC and non-SC units.

If properly spec'd, its a nice unit. As opposed to 2 wire control over 9pin, I'd take the 2 wire. More flexable and does the same thing with less. In fact, many of the "handsfree" emergency vehicle products coming out are based on such a system.

As for your heads, it was a production issue. It happens with any manufacture. However, I can tell you for sure that these products are well tested before coming out to the market, and are used in real service prior to production. Its not like some of the manufactures out there that beta test new things to the mass public (Motorola, Microsoft, etc).

Now, if you want to get rid of a MPC03, I'd be more than happy to trade you a nice like new MPC01 for it :)

Looking at some of the stuff you posted, that's not an out of the orndary setup.

Headlight flasher - Use the BL2150 (unless its neg switched headlights)
Taillight flasher - Use the BL5150A (though I think its discontinuted)
Mirrorbeams - if strobe, hook up to an ISP power supply. If LED, use a SmartLED and hook up (with the TIR3's) to a BL405 flasher set to steady burn or hook everything up (including non-ISP power supplies, shotgun lock or any other non-SC) to a BL8140. Done. You can even connect the camera sense to an output there and have it switched ont by any or all outputs. Just depends on how its programmed.

I do think they need a LED based flasher, but I am running 6 SmartLEDs (500 series and LIN3's) off of this system, and workes fine.

I am not sure what you are referring to about verison changes. Nothing has changed on either line. The SC/BLINK products have always had a BL part number in front, and the controllers have always been MPCx, with the 02 and 03 (completely different) only appearing on the market in the past couple of years.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
agtkgv

Re: Whelen CenCom MPC03

Post by agtkgv »

Not to totally change the topic, but I have a similar setup, BL Wigwag, BL 8 output aux non SC relay board, BL siren, and MPC01, and was looking to switch to an MPC03? Is it possible, easy, and what would I need to program MPC03? Thanks, I can repost if needed in a new topic.
Pj

Post by Pj »

MPC03 will program with a USB cable and any of the windows software that supports the MPC03 (which I think it 5.3.1 and up).

There is a MPC01-02 to 03 section, which involves tapping into a couple of existing wires. The main change (if used) is the relay needed for HF operation with the horn ring. Basically just involves the time of adding in a relay to the existing horn ring splice which you can add at the box.

What you need to know is that the unit is not self contained. You have a head, and then you have a seperate box that you can relocate anywhere for all the wiring connections.
agtkgv

Post by agtkgv »

Thanks PJ, Just what I was looking for. Looks like that's going to be my way to go, as usual the least costly method...
Pj

Post by Pj »

Forgot to mention, one thing that the MPC03 can do that the 01/02 can't do...is aux output 1 and 2 can be negitive (which the 01/02 only does) or positive voltage.

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”