More range from wireless router

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

hooknladder

More range from wireless router

Post by hooknladder »

How do I get more range from my wireless router? I have a Motorola 54g (I believe that's the model) router with a HP laptop with the internal network card. In my garage the coverage is spotty at times and am lucky to get 11mbps. The router is in the house connected to my home pc.
"It costs HOW much?" "Must be a /\/\ Original" Motofabulous
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

The first thing i usually do is wall mount the Router up high, or put it on a top shelf without anything metal around it. Then the next step would be to get some higher gain antennas if that doesn't help.

Is it the WR850G ?

I've dealt with those before they have a removable antenna and its easy to put something else on it. The stock antenna ain't bad, but 3-4 walls and your going to be seeing some loss. I took one and put a high gain antenna from Newegg on it, they called it a high performance desktop antenna, its a nice antenna with a weighted base and enough coax to place it about anywhere.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
hooknladder

Post by hooknladder »

Yep, its the WR850G. Works wonderful once you get it set up. I have it high up on my computer stand but I live in an old (but beautiful) 1890's victorian home and it's rough for the router to get outside. I'll have to Google your suggestion and see what comes up...
Thanks.
"It costs HOW much?" "Must be a /\/\ Original" Motofabulous
MotoMax300
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

Post by MotoMax300 »

There is a way to update the firmware and AMPLIFY output power. It's factory set to 60% output power and can safely go to 95% at heavy usage. 100% at light moderate usage.

There is a link somewhere, ah let me dig it up...... simple to do imo..... here:

http://www.lifehacker.com/software/rout ... 178132.php

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”