I Blew Up My Visar

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fogster
What radios do you own?: XTS2500/5000, XPR7550/5550

I Blew Up My Visar

Post by fogster »

I bought a lot of radios on eBay, wanting a few for myself, and figuring I could clean up the others and turn around and resell them. One of the radios was a Visar, but it came with no battery. I figured that Visars took the same 7.5V as most other Motorola radios, so I hooked some leads up to a battery on my desk, and applied them to the Visar.

I'm still not sure what I did wrong, whether I reversed the leads, or whether the Visar just doesn't take 7.5V, or what. I'd also kind of figured that there'd be some protection, so in the event of overvoltage (or wrong polarity), nothing bad would happen.

That's not the case, though. As soon as I hooked the leads up, I heard a loud snap, and the radio began emitting an acrid burning smell. I kind of figured the radio was toast, but I didn't confirm that until this morning, when I opened the radio up:

It's not all that obvious in the picture, but if you look at the big metal part on top (I've never worked with Visars, so pardon my lack of knowing what naything is), where it says "4597A," and then look down, there's a little black chip that's literally blown apart.

It's also not too clear, but the metal casing to the right of it is all discolored, as if by heat.

Moral of the story? If you must use a Visar, don't make blind guesses when hooking power leads up to it.[/img]
What radios do you own?: W7 FPP lowband MaraTrac w/AES

Post by 007 »

Good job. Another Visar out of it's own misery. Throw it in the trash, have a shot of your favorite whiskey and move on with life.

The Visar is a horrid little PITA radio.
Do not make Sig angry...he'll just keep ringing the bell.
Paul
What radios do you own?: You can't imagine!...

Post by Paul »

Wow! Very nice aproach to a common problem!
I have just blown a GP320, similar case with fogster's...
But I'm ahead of him; I forced TWO componets let their smoke go!

I love your point of view 007! :P :P :P

Paul SV2US
There are 10 kind of people: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
fogster

Post by fogster »

007 wrote:The Visar is a horrid little PITA radio.
This belief is the only reason I wasn't too upset at buying a radio and promptly (accidentally) blowing it up.

Makes me wonder what some <i>real</i> voltage would do... ;) This was from a mostly-depleted GP300 battery.
Paul
What radios do you own?: You can't imagine!...

Post by Paul »

Fogster, is your Visar completely dead after the accident?
Some times ,although componets on the primary power bus are destroyed, like the cap in your radio, the radio is still in operational condition.

Paul
There are 10 kind of people: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Rayjk110
Banned

Post by Rayjk110 »

007 wrote: The Visar is a horrid little PITA radio.

Having owned 6 before, I can vouch for that.

The problems never seem to end on them.

And if you MUST MUST MUST get one, make sure it's a DN revision. Don't settle for less on a Jedi.
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: A few! Most I sign out!

Post by Jim2121 »

Now you can buy a good HT1000 I have FS......
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

It's too bad it fried the RF board, as they are electrically identical (and 99.9% physically identical) to the Jedi RF boards...just swap the antenna connector & you're in business. The crappy part of the Visar was the horridly designed control board.

Chances are if you replace the capacitor, it may still be ok.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
N4DES
was KS4VT
What radios do you own?: APX,XTS2500,XTL2500,XTL1500

Post by N4DES »

Rayjk110 wrote: And if you MUST MUST MUST get one, make sure it's a DN revision. Don't settle for less on a Jedi.
Just checked my VHF and it's a DN. Probably why it still works.. :lol:
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: A few! Most I sign out!

Post by Jim2121 »

KS4VT wrote:
Rayjk110 wrote: And if you MUST MUST MUST get one, make sure it's a DN revision. Don't settle for less on a Jedi.
Just checked my VHF and it's a DN. Probably why it still works.. :lol:
mine is a DN......
fogster

Post by fogster »

Paul wrote:Fogster, is your Visar completely dead after the accident?
Yes. Doesn't power up at all.
Now you can buy a good HT1000 I have FS......
Want to trade? :lol:
Chances are if you replace the capacitor, it may still be ok.
I'm trying to decide whether I should try to sell this for parts value (being up front, of course, about its state), or whether I should monkey around with it further. While the capacitor obviously served some purpose, I'm wondering... Does anyone know what it does? What happens if I unsolder it and replace it with a simple wire jumper? Am I going to slightly degrade some unimportant function, or is going to not work at all?
kg6bki

Post by kg6bki »

What Would Jack Bauer Do? :lol:
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

The blown cap was probably part of the D.C filtering for the PA, that one marked 4597A.

The main B+ is in that area and supplies the main power for the amp, the control voltage pin is on the left side of the RF PA module with the RF input pin being the first on the left of the same module.

I'll bet the fuse is still good.......

When every other component is blown, the damn fuses are always good.

So much for 'protection' of the board*laugh*

I'd love to take that one and work on it....probably not in that serious of a condition, as long as the controller board works, then the rest is easy.
nh7cy
What radios do you own?: one of each

Post by nh7cy »

reminds me of when i blew up my p1225.

it was my first moto radio, and not being familiar with moto batteries i connected and external power source to it and KABOOM

anyway, my trademark fix was solering a wire to one of the battery contacts and proding the other end of it at spots all up and down the circuit board until the radio did something.

heck it even worked! the radio continued to work for another 6 months until my little solder connection became loose and ended up frying the radio beyond repair.
Jason B
Operating VHF AM mobile - On the air, In the air.
Hightower

Post by Hightower »

Seen this many times before. remove the smoked part, make sure the pico fuse is still good. Reassemble the radio, put a real battery (DON"T EVEN THINK ABOUT APPLYING VOLTAGE LEADS). Test radio with watt meter, test RX. If everything checks OK, order a SMT diode around 4 amps from mouser for about a buck.

You hooked the polarity backwards. There is no other way that puppy would blow like that unless you hooked it up backwards.

Nice photo nh7cy

Good luck bud

Commissioner Gordon

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”