Whelen LIN3???

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jantman

Whelen LIN3???

Post by jantman »

I'm thinking of adding a few LEDs to my truck. I have a MX7000 bar, but nothing lower in the back... I was thinking of using some cheap china LEDs I have (it's my POV, so i rarely have a need for much lighting in the back).

But I saw the LIN3 advertised on sirennet and lsh... one of them lists it as pre-order only, the other is selling it...

Does anyone have any experience with them? I haven't even seen any videos, and nobody around me has any yet? How do they compare to the TIR3, or the 500 series linear led/talon? Somewhere in between, I assume?
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

LIN3s are pimpin. They are slightly dimmer straight-on than the TIR3, but have far, far more spread in both horizontal and vertical directions. They use the same technology as the Talon, just a smaller lighthead.

We've got a new truck that has 8 LIN3s on it... looks nice.
otter9309

Post by otter9309 »

LIN3's ROCK. The off angle light is MUCH brighter than the TIR series. I hear that these will replace the TIR-3. I am not sure how true that is, but it will not be a loss.

Check this out from elightbars.

http://www.elightbars.org/bb/pimp-s-off ... 13972.html
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

...and the consensus is that the black plastic bezel has to go. Any dealers out there know if that is the only mounting option for this unit?
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

thebigphish wrote:...and the consensus is that the black plastic bezel has to go. Any dealers out there know if that is the only mounting option for this unit?
There's a brushed-aluminum brush guard mount as well, but we played around with those and didn't like them much. Stick with the black plastic.
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

I have a set of LIN3s and a Set of TIR3s and overall I cannot see a difference in brightness between them. The LIN3 gives MAYBE another 5-10 degree viewing angle.

I have the TIR3 in my car and I am putting a set of LIN3s on my wife's new car... once I do I'll take some comparisons for you guys.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

If you are looking for DIRECT head on warning, the TIR3 is the way to go.
If you are looking for a FORWARD light, the LIN3 is the way to go.

Don't plan on thinking that either are designed for "one light does all" intersection warning, unless you have it out at a 45 degree angle.

For $50, you can't go wrong.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”