98 Expedition, looking for suggestions...

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

MK4412

98 Expedition, looking for suggestions...

Post by MK4412 »

I have a 1998 Ford Expedition, with the full center console, and rear heat / AC blower. Has anyone seen a console that will fit in it's place, and still have the factory blower and stereo controls? I have a siren and a M1225 cut into the foreward storage pocket now, and really don't like it. Ergonomically, it works well. Astetically, I hate it.

Anyone? Anybody build a custom unit to fit where the factory console is, while keeping the factory controls at the rear? Is there something available to fit in the space where the storage pockets and cup holders are?
Mike
12 Volts

console

Post by 12 Volts »

i had a 1999 ford expedition and i had 2 m1225 cut in where you have yours i search all over the place and spoke to everybody about a console or what to do and everybody said take out the factory one and just put in a full console sorry dude but there is no hope for what your trying to do
txshooter

Exoedition

Post by txshooter »

Several large agencies do the same thing you have done on their install's on this vehicle. I used to drive a 4WD version that was set up in a similar manner. Not a lot you can do on this one.
Scott B.
"Never argue with seven men when you are carrying a six shooter..."
ka8ypy

Post by ka8ypy »

Try Havis...They make a "console" if you will that installs in the original console storage bin under the flip-up arm rest.

It is essentially a square frame that installs in the top of the storage compartment, with rails on either side to mount faceplates for electronics.

I have one in my '04 F-150, if you like I can get some pics and post them?

DB
txshooter

1998 vs. 2004 Ford

Post by txshooter »

I am not sure, and someone please correct me if I am mistaken, but the 1998 and 2004 Fords are signigfigantly different and the 2004 Style Console fix will not work on a 1998 with the console. Anybody?
ka8ypy wrote:Try Havis...They make a "console" if you will that installs in the original console storage bin under the flip-up arm rest.

It is essentially a square frame that installs in the top of the storage compartment, with rails on either side to mount faceplates for electronics.

I have one in my '04 F-150, if you like I can get some pics and post them?

DB
Scott B.
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

correct. i had a 95 XLT and the 2002 i just got is no-where NEAR set up like the old one.

the 95 to 98 similarities are rather great, mostly just improvements....after um...01? i think it was a total redesign.
txshooter

Re: 98 Expedition, looking for suggestions...

Post by txshooter »

MK4412 wrote:I have a 1998 Ford Expedition, with the full center console, and rear heat / AC blower. Has anyone seen a console that will fit in it's place, and still have the factory blower and stereo controls?
This vehicle was not designed with two way radios and other types of emergency equipment in mind. It is most likely a Eddie Bauer Expedition?

I think you are really going to be out of luck on this if you are looking for something off the shelf. ANd I think you are really going to have a tough time doing something custom there as well with everythign Ford packed into that area. Just a suggestion, but have you looked into making a custom roof console? It may be your best option at this point considering what you are hacing to deal with. Lot's of the wrecker drivers in our area have them done and they seem to be able to shove at least 3 or 4 radios in them. (Usually Spectra's)
Scott B.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

I had 32 inches of console space in my 97 and 01 Expeditions... however, you have to quit whining and tear out the rear stereo controls. I had the full rear A/C (not just the blower that pulls off the primary AC), so that stuff was overhead.

You could also remote the rear stereo controls if you wanted to get sexy with it.
Chato
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Several

Exped install

Post by Chato »

This is the (old) install in my Expedition:

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.p ... tall#60607

It has since been taken apart and the radios have been added to others in a much larger install in my new F350.

In the Exped, I used the existing console and built a carpet-coverd wood box to go around it. I mounted the radios in that cover. It worked very well.

~Chad
MK4412

Post by MK4412 »

I love the console. I just wanted to know if I had exhausted all the "OTC" resources before removing my factory console, and designing a custom. In the Exped. pictured on the link above, does your area under the armrest accommodate the CD changer? Also, did the factory unit have the rear controls or ducting for the blower? Mine does (yes, it's an E.B.), and I want to retain them. Looking at it with the cup-holder section removed, I think a custom unit would afford enough depth, and definately enough width to build something effective around the fatory ducting/controls, and still have a pocket for the CD changer under a factory armrest.

Thanks for all of your input.
Mike
Chato
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Several

Post by Chato »

There is a CD changer in the arm-rest. Nothing I installed affected anything inside the arm-rest storage area. I still have that big pocket for all my junk. I did not have rear A/C controls or ducting to the rear of the factory console; only the am/fm radio controls. (Which I didnt use anyway since I have an after-market stereo, but they would have worked if the stock one was still in place.) I do have rear A/C, but the controls on my Exped are in the head-liner.

With the top cup-holder plastic piece removed, and the new box built around the factory console, there was tons of depth for my Spectras, even my Astro Spectras. (Which are not in ths pictures in the link.)

~Chad

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”