what console to buy...

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

remote_medic

what console to buy...

Post by remote_medic »

Hello all,

I'm looking for a console to mount in my 1998 GMC Suburban with bucket seats and the factory console in place. I would like to have a console that fits in front of the factory one.

I've been looking at the Jotto 9 inch short stack and a gambler johnson one. I'm just wondering if you guys have had any experiences with either one of these and if you have any pictures of the consoles instlled.

Thanks
Chris
SafetyLighting

Post by SafetyLighting »

I use Troy Products, and have had great luck with them.
John
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Jotto is decent stuff but, for me, is hard to get parts for. Not as many distributors.

I used to run Gamber... however, the consoles are narrower (things like scanners don't fit) and the attachment system (velcro + rail) isn't as nice as the screws-into-track method.

Currently, I run Havis... easy for me to get parts/faceplates for, wide enough for about everything I want, very comprehensive faceplate list, and is very "dense" (whereas Troy, with the full-surround faceplates, is not nearly as dense).
remote_medic

Post by remote_medic »

Thanks for the input guys, I spent about 3 hours on the phone with Jotto, Gambler, and Havis and the only one that I found to be remotely helpful was Havis, so that is what I chose. It was a bit more expensive then Jotto but worth it.

They were friendly and were able to tell me that a 10 inch consolidatory will fit in my truck. Jotto and Gambler said they had no vehicle information from before 2003. I also noticed that almost every faceplate from Jotto was a 3 inch plate...where as Havis were 2 1/2 inch face plates for the same piece of equipment.

I'll post a picture of it when it is installed.

Thanks again
Chris
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

I have a full Gamber Johnson mount in my 1997 Suburban.

I believe the stuff is still in their current catalog. Where you talking to GJ direct or a reseller?
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
remote_medic

Post by remote_medic »

I spoke to Gambler Johnson directly. At first the person on the phone said I could fit any console I wanted into the space where the center console was....took me 3 tries to get them to understand that I want to leave the factory console alone and install a small radio console infront of the factory one.

They said they had no information about my vehicle with factory console. They wanted me to take a picture and send exact measurements. It was the next comment that did it for me: "Mail us the picture and I'll have a look at it when I have the time". I just didn't feel like they wanted to make an effort for my buisness...

Just my opinion of course

Chris
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

I've had the same experience with Gamber - thus my move to Havis. Gamber was always hard to get anyone's attention... ordering the stuff was *always* a zoo... and they're expensive. Plus, the lack of console width sucks.

Havis has always been very responsive on the phone... they'll also do simple stuff like send extra faceplate screws for free - just call and ask (one bag isn't enough when you have a fully-populated 30" console like mine).

You'll be happy with your Havis console.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

In that style truck, you have to remove the factory console. The only way to get something where you want it is to bolt something into the floor (for the most part) instad of using the seat bolts. Plus, that going to be so far forward, its a nusance to switch something on or change a channel (trust me, I tried).

BTW: GJ doesn't sell directly, and if you do call them directly, ask for tech/product support. Those guys are really good.

Also, if you go to Gamber Johnson's website and click on products, the first menu brings you right to the correct stuff you are looking for (C/K 1500 trucks 1994-1999)

http://www.gamberjohnson.com/?p_id=11

http://www.gamberjohnson.com/?p_id=66&p_v_id=83

Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
remote_medic

Post by remote_medic »

I do not HAVE to remove my factory console, nor do I want to. For my needs a small radio console is all I need to mount a scanner, CB, and an infrequantly used VHF radio.

I do not mind drilling through the floor of my truck (It is a 98 afterall) and for how often I use the items in the truck leaning forward to turn something on or off is not going to be a problem.

I've been to that website many times, and it is useless to me unless I want to remove the factory console.

Havis' specifically makes a mount for my vehicle and a console that is advertised to fit infront of the factory console, plus they were much friendlier on the phone - which is why they got my buisness

Chris
60A
What radios do you own?: XTS5000, XPR7550, APX6000

Post by 60A »

Just curious, what model number is it? I have a 99' that I have always wanted the same thing for!
remote_medic

Post by remote_medic »

It is the 10 inch consolidator (C-1000) with a B-13 bracket.

I'll post some pics when it arrives and gets installed.

Thanks
Chris
remote_medic

Post by remote_medic »

Well, the console has been installed and I must say I am very happy with it. I'm afraid my digital camera is on the fritz but I will post pics as soon as I can.

I have mounted in the box a CB radio, Pro 2055 Scanner, Kenwood TM 271A, and a Galls switch box.

On the left outside of the box is the mount for my mag light. On the right outside of the box is my 400W Power inverter and 3 prong 12 outlet.

It fits right into place perfecty, looks good, and was easy to install. On a side not the B-13 bracket is aparently no longer made so I had to bolt directly into the floor which isn't a problem for me to do

Chris
Double_Deuz

Post by Double_Deuz »

Just from my experience, my company is a distributor for both and if I had to choose

I would pick Jotto for the looks and the install

and Gamber Johnson for rigidity, they make heavy duty equipment.

Gamber typically ships slower though

that is my two cents

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”