CDM with two remote heads?

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jmalia

CDM with two remote heads?

Post by jmalia »

Hi I am looking to put one CDM 1250 60w UHF radio with two heads on it in our ambulance. One head in the front one in the back so it can be controlled from either. I have been looking on the site and motorola but because I dont know the name of the part I am having trouble finding it. Can anyone help me out here? thanks

Jason
commtek
Batboard $upporter

Post by commtek »

The dual head kit was made by Quickmount and they no longer sell them because Mother M's legal department said so. The company is now for sale. Mother M does not make a dual head remote mount kit.

Unless you get a used one, you're out of luck. I suggest you look at the dual head Kenwood TK690. MUCH better radio than anything Mother M makes these days.
jmalia

Post by jmalia »

Thanks for your help, We actually have one of the older models. Can I buy the software for these model Kenwoods to program? And do you know if there is a mobile repeater or option that we can utilize to transmit from portable to mobile to hit a repeater? thanks!!
va3wxm

Post by va3wxm »

Kenwood software is usually easier to get than Moto stuff but they can be pissy about it sometimes (but not nearly as draconian as /\/\).

Yes, you can set up a mobile repeater. You'll need two 90 series drawers, i.e. TK690 and TK790, or TK690 and TK890, or TK790 and TK890. When assembled properly, the software allows you to turn your dual-drawer hardware into a crossband repeater (or "mobile relay station" as Kenwood calls it) at the press of a button.

The 90 series has a dual-band dual-head option (KRK-8DBH is the kit).

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”