Radio Reboardcast over siren Carson SA-441 ::Help::

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jc29ems

Radio Reboardcast over siren Carson SA-441 ::Help::

Post by jc29ems »

Hello All,
The radio rebroadcast option on our siren (Carson SA-441) was never setup. I am looking for instructions on how to connect our Motorola Spectra Radio to the siren so when it is set at radio, it would rebroadcast over the PA.

I'd also like to throw in a switch somewhere to setup so when the siren is on the radio function, you can select by this switch to either have the Motorla Spectra or the onboard AM/FM/CD Radio broadcast over the PA. Anyone with any ideas on how I can do this, please let me know!

Thanks,
JC
SafetyLighting

Re: Radio Reboardcast over siren Carson SA-441 ::Help::

Post by SafetyLighting »

JC,
First off the Radio Rebroadcast wires are blue and are located on the amplifier itself. One lead goes to + the other to - on the speaker output of your radio. Polarity isn't important. If you want to add a switch for the 2way and the Fm Radio, here's how:

You need a Dual Pole/Dual Throw switch. Turn the switch over, you will have 6 terminals. The Blue RR leads need to be connected to the common terminals, which most likely will be in the center of the switch.

A B ----To 2-Way radio speaker leads + & -
C D ----Blue RR Leads
E F ----To Fm Radio speaker leads + & -

Make sure to connect only one speaker input from the radios, (One + and 1 -) Do not try to bridge two speakers.

Class Dismissed. Let me know if you have any more questions, I'll be happy to help.
John
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

I would strongly recommend the use of a 1:1 isolation transformer on each of the two speaker leads. I don't know about the Carson units specifically, but some sirens out there pull one side of the audio to ground. This will fry your Spectra's audio amp.
SafetyLighting

Post by SafetyLighting »

The Inputs on the SA441 are isolated so no transformer neccesary.
John
KG4LHQ

Post by KG4LHQ »

We are wanting to do the same in our rescue truck radio.

We also have a Carson siren while I'm not sure of the particular model number.

Do we connect the siren box and run wires to the inside of the radio or can we use the external speaker output.

The only issue I see with the external speaker output is when that is plugged in we won't be able to use it while enroute to a call as the radio traffic will go outside on the loud speaker?

Request detail instructions please.

Radio is a TK-760HG Rig.

Thanks

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”