Vehicle battery maintainer

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kossuth

Vehicle battery maintainer

Post by kossuth »

I've done a quick search and didn't seem to turn up much. At my work, we have two vehicles that rarely leave the facility and the batteries are usually dead by the time we get around to using them. The vehicles are basically E-350 Ford vans setup in a similar way to an ambulance with auxilary tech batteries and the whole nine yards. There isn't a problem with the vehicles per say, the drain is from the memory of equipment installed. The battery will die after the vehicle has sat for a month or two. Any suggestions as far as a battery maintainer/charger goes??? I'd like to be able to charge the tech batteries as well if possible, but it isn't a must. We shut the tech batteries off from the equipment via a hard disconnect switch everytime we are done using the vans, and they have never been dead to the point where using the tech battery crossover hasn't been able to start the van. Thanks for the suggestions guys
Jim202

Re: Vehicle battery maintainer

Post by Jim202 »

There are a couple of companies that have what your looking for. One of the better choices would be to
look at using Kussmaul Electronics units. Go to their web site at http://www.kussmaul.com and poke around.
They have a number of units with different current abilities and number of batteries.

I have used their products in the past and have been very happy with them. Just don't expect to get
these units at a bargan price. These units are made for public safety use in emergency vehicles.

Jim

kossuth wrote:I've done a quick search and didn't seem to turn up much. At my work, we have two vehicles that rarely leave the facility and the batteries are usually dead by the time we get around to using them. The vehicles are basically E-350 Ford vans setup in a similar way to an ambulance with auxilary tech batteries and the whole nine yards. There isn't a problem with the vehicles per say, the drain is from the memory of equipment installed. The battery will die after the vehicle has sat for a month or two. Any suggestions as far as a battery maintainer/charger goes??? I'd like to be able to charge the tech batteries as well if possible, but it isn't a must. We shut the tech batteries off from the equipment via a hard disconnect switch everytime we are done using the vans, and they have never been dead to the point where using the tech battery crossover hasn't been able to start the van. Thanks for the suggestions guys
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Re: Vehicle battery maintainer

Post by thebigphish »

http://www.kussmaul.com/091-39-12.html

The AutoCharge 2000.

You connect two batteries to it, plus a separate "always on load" like flashlights or something which goes to a battery saver circut. When you plug it in, it charges BOTH batteries at the same time, independant charging circuts, and isolates the battery saver circut so that the chargers are not dumping power into the batteries, and then right out into the handlights. You unplug the charger, the battery saver circut switches back to battery power, and you are all set. Completely automatic. It's a great system. Add in your own emergency switch and you are all set (for emergency start situations).
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”