Dual Boot xp and 98

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

BFD319

Dual Boot xp and 98

Post by BFD319 »

Looking to set up my laptop to do dual boot so I can use one computer to program radios. I have XP in the computer now can I just load 98 in and it will set up dual boot like that or do I have to erase everthing and start over with the 98 then the xp anyone ever do this, trying to avoided having to reinstall all the programs. thanks
Batwings21

Re: Dual Boot xp and 98

Post by Batwings21 »

The only way I have found to do it is with partition magic. Resize your hard drive and create a total of 3 partitions, one for xp, one for 98 and one as a swap to pass files between the two. Make the swap partition fat32, leave your xp ntfs, and make the win98 one fat32. The win98 will be a primary partition, just like the xp one, you can only have one active primary partition at a time, so you use pqboot to set the active partition, allowing you to pick 98 or xp. Make sure you copy the dos version of pqboot into the swap drive, or you will be stuck in 98, as it can't see the xp partition. The other choice is to wipe everything and install 98 first.
BFD319

Post by BFD319 »

Thanks I'll give it a try
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

search for posts on using a thumb drive to boot from.
much easier
HumHead

Post by HumHead »

Amateurs train until they can do it right. Professionals train until they cannot do it wrong.

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”