Strange Problem with Astro Saber III:Need Advice

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jje64
New User

Strange Problem with Astro Saber III:Need Advice

Post by jje64 »

I just bought an ASIII R Split radio. It was last programmed with RSS. I have RSS 09.05.00 that I am using. I can read from the radio just fine. I can send a code plug to it just fine.

BUT, when I enter any transmit freq between 448.100 and 449.4875 MHz the radio shows FAIL001 and will not transmit more than a brief signal. I know FAIL001 could indicate a bad RF board. BUT, the radio transmits in other ranges just fine. I have tested it from 410 MHz to 470 MHz (though only in 5 MHz steps) and not had the FAIL001. When I tested betwen 448.00 and 450 MHz in 12.5 kHz steps the radio stopped transmitting at 448.1 and restarted at 449.5 MHz. PLL problem? Reference XTAL going bad?

Is there an adjustment I can perform via the RSS tuner? A friend suggested using the TX crossover freq adjustment. Will that fix his? If not, any suggestion on what adjustment/value in RSS to changed to aid in fixing this problem?

My goal is to use the radio to TX/RX between 440 and 450 MHz and RX up to 470 MHz. I really don't care about freqs below 440 MHz. SO if I have to compromise tuning on that end to get what I need I am ok with it.

This is a very odd problem. Has anyone run into this before?

TNX
Elroy Jetson

Re: Strange Problem with Astro Saber III:Need Advice

Post by Elroy Jetson »

Try switching between high and low side injection just to see what happens.

Elroy
MotoRadioMan
What radios do you own?: /\/\

Re: Strange Problem with Astro Saber III:Need Advice

Post by MotoRadioMan »

Sounds to me like she needs aligned. I was given a radio that was "upgraded" from an ASTRO Saber I to a III. It was acting in a VERY similar fashion. A trip to the shop and a full alignment and the radio was as good as new.

Good luck,
Alex

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”