Zillions of AAR Locomotive Spectra 2's obsolete

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Slartybartfast
New User

Zillions of AAR Locomotive Spectra 2's obsolete

Post by Slartybartfast »

Hi Batwing members!
I am involved in a rail project to update all the UHF /VHF radios for the FCC narrowband deadline.
Is there any way to use the surplus units - over 1000 Spectra 2 units !
From what I have learned so far they are destined for the recycle pile.
As well there will be thousands of other radios from just about every mfgr
Your thoughts?
THx
JB from the great white North....
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Re: Zillions of AAR Locomotive Spectra 2's obsolete

Post by Josh »

umm..... sell them to amateur radio operators?

throwing radios away seems like such a waste when you can always eBay them and at least make a little return on the investment, even if they don't sell for much.

-Josh
Will

Post by Will »

The RR Spectras have some drawbacks even for amature radio people. They do not have PL or DPL capabilities for one. Someone can add to this..

I would like to have at least two for my own "collection". I also will do some engineering work on the cap problems, ect, so these radios do NOT HAVE to go to the scrap yard.

There are lots of train buffs who would like to have one in their train chaser... There are railroad muesums that would love to get a hold of a few for their rolling stock.

And I would like to buy a manual also.....
Slartybartfast
New User

Post by Slartybartfast »

I don't think selling them as surplus is an option, due to the problem that
they could easily interfere with the rail operations. Museuems might be OK, but there are
thousands and thousands of affected radios, everything under 512 Mhz is up for replacement.
Recycling them is likely the best.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Not necessarily true. Surplus public service radios are sold on the open
market every day, and legally, too. 99.99999999% of the buyers use or
modify these radios for use on their own legally licensed frequencies.

There has been extensive coverage of the FCC's narrowbanding requirements,
including the effective dates, on this Board. You might want to do some
research about the subject as we are all aware of the situation and what it
may or may not involve.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
RKG

Post by RKG »

If better ideas fail, you might consider making them available as donations to local fire departments, at least those operating on VHF. Adding ComSpec tone boards should not be much of a problem, and most local FDs are quite strapped, as they tend not to get a spot on the Homeland Security mammary gland. At the same time, the push for command posts, emergency operations centers, and the like is quite high.

Just an idea.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

I for one, would take two for my collection.

These will do PL/DPL, but not FPP style. The RSS runs the same way as the Syntor X9000...needs a slow computer.

You could make a codeplug and take out all the AAR channels and put in weather channels, and clone all the radios that way, so it won't TX/RX on the RR channels out of the box.

But people have to remember, these do not scan, no secure (even though there is a spot for a board - not supported in the RSS), and you have a small learning curve to opearating one.

Other than that, its a good Spectra home base station. Mic and speaker all in one box.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

If they are destined for the recycling yard, and there are that many of them, offer them to board members for the cost of shipping (PLEASE??!!! :wink: ). As with numerous other people on the board, I would love to have one. Would make a great 2m Ham base!
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

i know i would take a few here to use here at the Valley RR. i know we are not going to be narrow band in time (if i teel them they have to pay X-amount to replace them all they will tell me i am nuts
MotoRadioMan
What radios do you own?: /\/\

Post by MotoRadioMan »

Agreed with above, how can I obtain a few for amateur tinkering and just to have one in my collection of Mot gear???

A. D.
techie
Batboard $upporter

Post by techie »

Ditto.. I could use a few dedicated monitor radios for fire season.
-- Welcome My Son, Welcome To The Machine --
Bob Vaughan | techie@tantivy.net
AF6RR | P.O.Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --
copcarguy

Post by copcarguy »

Scrap them out at your local scrap dealer. Scrap metal is at an alltime high. Thoes things are heavy as heck. If you have zillions, you will get some serious cash. Much-Much more than you would ever get on e-bay or from hams. They are too cheap. They will probably offer you a dollar (If your lucky) for it.
Grog
On Moderation

Post by Grog »

copcarguy wrote:Scrap them out at your local scrap dealer. Scrap metal is at an alltime high. Thoes things are heavy as heck. If you have zillions, you will get some serious cash. Much-Much more than you would ever get on e-bay or from hams. They are too cheap. They will probably offer you a dollar (If your lucky) for it.

What's wrong, you have some to sell and you don't want the market flooded? :lol:
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

copcarguy wrote:Scrap them out at your local scrap dealer. Scrap metal is at an alltime high. Thoes things are heavy as heck. If you have zillions, you will get some serious cash. Much-Much more than you would ever get on e-bay or from hams. They are too cheap. They will probably offer you a dollar (If your lucky) for it.

I hate to say it, but he is probably right, scrap metal is high, I believe that, with enough, you may see some serious coin.

Or, you could take them to some hamfests, have a bunch of goofs waste your time, kick your tires, only to walk away and never make a purchase.

Obviously, selling these to collectors would net the most buck for the equipment, Ebay is a good place to move that type thing, but if you flood the market all at once, you will be selling them for pennies.

Since you are the railroad, you should seriously consider selling these items on GovDeals, as they only charge you a fee if you actually sell. Sell them in "lots" and you should do good.

SG
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Post by dxon2m »

I wonder if you can take the MLM out of the radio and use it on a regular spectra. It would be quite neat if it actually works.

But then again, I won't mind purchasing one or two of these gems :lol:
RADIO43
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: 900 MHZ APX4000

Post by RADIO43 »

PM Sent!!!!!!!!!! Would love to get one of theses!!!!!!
In Time of Crisis, You will Not Rise to the Occasion but Rather Default to your Level of Training!
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

dxon2m wrote:I wonder if you can take the MLM out of the radio and use it on a regular spectra. It would be quite neat if it actually works.

But then again, I won't mind purchasing one or two of these gems :lol:
Nope, different feature set on the command board.

If you plan on selling these out right, depending on condition, you should be able to net $300-$700 per radio, unless they are the new Astro clean cab radios, then they will bring considerably more.

But as it is, I wouldn't cut loose of a working unit for any less than $300, the last one I sold brought almost 1K.

But I am sure you are getting flooded with PM's wanting one for $50, good luck with you sales

SG
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Post by N9LLO »

He's unloading these because they wont do narrowband. Of course they are not Astro Spectras, thats crazy. They have little value in the commercial world like tons of other radios rendered obsolete by FCC rulemakings over the years. I would say they have slightly less value than a standard Spectra to the average ham but hams will likely be your only market unless they go out of the country. $50 to 150 would be my bet depending on how they look after years of use.

Chris
N9LLO
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

N9LLO wrote:He's unloading these because they wont do narrowband. Of course they are not Astro Spectras, thats crazy. They have little value in the commercial world like tons of other radios rendered obsolete by FCC rulemakings over the years. I would say they have slightly less value than a standard Spectra to the average ham but hams will likely be your only market unless they go out of the country. $50 to 150 would be my bet depending on how they look after years of use.

Chris
N9LLO
I'm shocked a ham would even speculate that they would ante' up $50 for one, what good will it do you when the ham band goes narrowband?

More like, hams will be your only market... because I am one, and am cheap, and want one for nothing, that's why I am telling you that it is only worth $50..... damn....... you got that change rolled?????

This cat has obviously been shopping at Dayton Hamvention.

SG

Post by copcarguy »

Just the manual NSO is $275.00. No wonder everyone "wants a copy". CSX is still buying thoes radios, every one they can get their hands on, for spares. They have a huge fleet of radios that are no longer supported by Moto, That are still in service and they need parts for. FYI
d119

Post by d119 »

RADIO43 wrote:PM Sent!!!!!!!!!! Would love to get one of theses!!!!!!

Uh, in reading the original post, this guy isn't offering anything for sale... Look at you guys falling all over each other trying to get these... They belong to some railroad, not to this guy, he probably doesn't have the authority to just hand them out...

You can look at aftermarket narrowbanding kits, they may or may not be available for these radios. But as spectragod says, there's value in them yet...
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Narrowband isn't for another 5 years, I don't know why anyone would be worried about that now. You can still get wideband licenses issued by the FCC.
N9LLO

Post by N9LLO »

Look what happend to the value of VHF Systems Sabers when the feds flooded the market. I bought excellent ones for $30 each. Mark my words, when the floodgate opens those old Spectras will go cheap. I do a lot of industrial and commercial salvage business, I have seen what can happen in a very short time to equipment values. The impending narrowband change has already had a profound effect on equipment value.

Chris
N9LLO
MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Post by MT2000 man »

N9LLO wrote:Look what happend to the value of VHF Systems Sabers when the feds flooded the market. I bought excellent ones for $30 each. Mark my words, when the floodgate opens those old Spectras will go cheap. I do a lot of industrial and commercial salvage business, I have seen what can happen in a very short time to equipment values. The impending narrowband change has already had a profound effect on equipment value.

Chris
N9LLO

Exactly. Same goes for the MTS2000. I remember long ago (3 - 4 years back) they were going for a LOT more on E-bay then they are now. Before the MTS's were going for 3 - $400 for model ones, now you can get a model one for $150 or so, because the market got flooded with TONS of used MTS's. When departments upgrade, and the market gets flooded with all their "leftover radios" the value per radio does WAY down. Just another example :)
George
What radios do you own?: X9000, HT1550XLS, MTS2000, etc

Post by George »

Narrowband on the ham bands? Narrowband on 2M? Not a chance.

I drove from Lancaster to Harrisburg on Thursday morning listening to all the major repeaters during prime drive time.

How many conversations do you think I heard during that period?

Wait for it....wait for it....

NONE!

Not a single conversation or call on five different repeaters during prime time. And that INCLUDES me announcing my presence.

I can see P25 long before I can see narrowband in VHF.

Narrowband on 2M will just give the space for a lot more of nothing to listen to.

Wake me when it's time to go home.

George
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

George wrote:Narrowband on the ham bands? Narrowband on 2M? Not a chance.

I drove from Lancaster to Harrisburg on Thursday morning listening to all the major repeaters during prime drive time.

How many conversations do you think I heard during that period?

Wait for it....wait for it....

NONE!

Not a single conversation or call on five different repeaters during prime time. And that INCLUDES me announcing my presence.

I can see P25 long before I can see narrowband in VHF.

Narrowband on 2M will just give the space for a lot more of nothing to listen to.

Wake me when it's time to go home.

George
Yep, the FCC will see the lack of use, and take the 2M band and sell off the freq's, just like the 220 band.

SG

Post by hamptonbeach »

Not trying to hijack the thread, but if you guys aren't all on 2 meters, where are you ??
The only action I hear I hear in NH is 2 meters - and yes .. even then I have to listen for awhile,
even if I announce myself :(
WB6NVH

Post by WB6NVH »

A lot of scrap value? These are classified as hazardous waste where I am and the dump won't even take them. I guess there's some value from the scrap aluminum, which is contaminated with circuit boards containing lead solder, and other metals which are riveted and attached to the frames, etc.. I would think a sale as a radio would always bring more money than as a bale of contaminated scrap metal.
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

WB6NVH wrote:A lot of scrap value? These are classified as hazardous waste where I am and the dump won't even take them. I guess there's some value from the scrap aluminum, which is contaminated with circuit boards containing lead solder, and other metals which are riveted and attached to the frames, etc.. I would think a sale as a radio would always bring more money than as a bale of contaminated scrap metal.
California..... land of fruits and nuts...may as well throw tree huggers in the mix as well.

No value..... what do you figure Ma M does with all their old stuff/trade in's/fire damaged radios? They find someone to buy them for scrap.... what a concept.

SG

Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

The Panter88 and 123ABC radio debacle makes it pretty clear that scrapping radios is only an easy method of disposal, and not an economical one.

The Spectra RR radios are worth at least 75 bucks easily. There's nowhere near $75 worth of scrap in them... is there?
WB6NVH

Post by WB6NVH »

Motorola still takes trade-ins? News to me. The used equipment depots were closed up decades ago. They used to drive over the radios with a bulldozer and then dump them in a landfill, and/or San Francisco Bay, but eventually that ability disappeared along with Freon 12, 8 track tapes and leaded gasoline (example: that's what happened to 2000 RCA Super-Carfones and the same number of Motracs and Motrans from CHP in 1977.) My understanding from a friend who is a Motorola exec is that right now they will no-bid a contract which wants them to take a trade-in fleet, or they will tell the customer to arrange his own scrap pickup.

I didn't say there was no scrap value at all in mobile radios, just that it wasn't much compared to selling them as radios. In fact, several agencies I have worked with have had to pay scrap dealers to take their old radios. The fact that so many people responded to the message which started this thread, wanting one or more, seems to back this up. Why anyone who is a member of this website would think that the best use for a used two way radio is metal salvage, escapes me.

The scrap dealers back about 10 years ago thought they would all get rich on gold recovery from electronics salvage. All most of them managed to do was turn their facilities into EPA Superfund sites before going bankrupt and sticking the taxpayers with the tab.
Batwings21

Post by Batwings21 »

WB6NVH wrote:Motorola still takes trade-ins? News to me.
Actually Moto has run several trade in promo's in recent years.
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

Batwings21 wrote:
WB6NVH wrote:Motorola still takes trade-ins? News to me.
Actually Moto has run several trade in promo's in recent years.
Why yes they have, M took a pile (not zillions) of MW520's from us on trade, they went to M, as that is what was on the call tag sent for the units, what they did with them is their business, crush/dump/scrap/set on fire..... whatever.

As far as a member on this board thinking that scrap metal is the way to go, sometimes that may be the answer.

How many is a zillion, then multiply that by at least 10 pounds per chassis that the RR Spectra is in, get back to me on a current scrap value.

Think about it, a RR will most likely auction off the equipment as a lot, or several "lots". They are not going to sell to individuals, nor give the equipment away. That process will take time, depending on scheduling/manpower, they may opt to contact a scrap dealer to dispose of the equipment, or... trade it in.

Or.... they could waste their time jacking around with a bunch of greedy tightwads who want something for nothing, guess what plan they will implement?

I can further back up the above statement by saying, just look at this thread, the original poster never said he had $hit, but all the "greedy got to have it's" started posting that they PM'd him for 1 or more units, service manuals etc., keep in mind, these are radio's still in service, narrowband won't be around for years and the thread originator was a)new, b)made only a couple of posts, c)never heard from again. The chances that he/she is a troll is good, and is, likely, sitting back and watching this thread, and laughing, as am I.

FLAME ON.

SG

Post by Terry_Glover »

spectragod wrote:...Or.... they could waste their time jacking around with a bunch of greedy tightwads who want something for nothing, guess what plan they will implement?

I can further back up the above statement by saying, just look at this thread, the original poster never said he had $hit for sale, but all the "greedy got to have it's" started posting that they PM'd him for 1 or more units... ...laughing, as am I.

FLAME ON.

SG
Pot, kettle, black? :lol:

Look who's trying to score an XTS5k, for a parts radio no less, that was never offered for sale!

Lots more examples where this came from, dating back to 2002.

Don't let the last three letters in your username go to your head, DOG! 8)
Terry
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

Terry_Glover wrote:
spectragod wrote:...Or.... they could waste their time jacking around with a bunch of greedy tightwads who want something for nothing, guess what plan they will implement?

I can further back up the above statement by saying, just look at this thread, the original poster never said he had $hit for sale, but all the "greedy got to have it's" started posting that they PM'd him for 1 or more units... ...laughing, as am I.

FLAME ON.

SG

Look who's trying to score an XTS5k, for a parts radio no less, that was never offered for sale!

In the order you had them....

Pot calling the kettle black? Is that supposed to be some kind of racially motivated humor?

Yes, he offered that 5K to me, I offered stand up money, not $50 like you would have.

Lot's of examples, yep, I am sure there are, I have spent thousands of dollars on this board, how about you?

My username.... the one that another board member gave me, before the inception of this board, I let nothing go to my head. I will see if Alex will let me change it though, so your not offended, how about just "cracksmokinxtraclass"?

The bottom line is..... the poster never said he was selling anything, and if he was, I only suggested an asking price that is fair (to people living in reality, don't insert your name here), and the flames started.

SG

What radios do you own?: G40

Post by ab »

If I had a large lot of to get rid of I would see if some kind of Sheltered Workshop would take them as a donation to take apart and scrap out.
They could take them a part, seperate the boards up by type, give me bacK the MLMs to destroy, sell the frames for scrap to a local dealer, bundle and sell (auction) rest, and I get a LARGE tax deduction.

But I'm just a dumb blond.
ab

still lurking here
Terry_Glover

Post by Terry_Glover »

spectragod wrote:
Terry_Glover wrote:

FLAME ON.

SG

In the order you had them....

Pot calling the kettle black? Is that supposed to be some kind of racially motivated humor?

Yes, he offered that 5K to me, I offered stand up money, not $50 like you would have.

Lot's of examples, yep, I am sure there are, I have spent thousands of dollars on this board, how about you?

My username.... the one that another board member gave me, before the inception of this board, I let nothing go to my head. I will see if Alex will let me change it though, so your not offended, how about just "cracksmokinxtraclass"?

The bottom line is..... the poster never said he was selling anything, and if he was, I only suggested an asking price that is fair (to people living in reality, don't insert your name here), and the flames started.

SG
Your entire response is nothing but a big barrage of bull$hit and nonsense thrown out here in an attempt to defend yourself and try to save face!

What did you offer him, a 5% premimum over scrap value? :o How generous. I rest my case with that link. You tried to hit up a the poster, in that thread, to sell you a distressed radio that wasn't offered for sale. You come into this thread and try to screw a handfull of HAM's into the ground for doing the same thing you did. The old double standard, It's OK if I do it, but be damned if anyone else tries it!

You remind me of an Icom walkie-talkie salesman, who has taken his Amateur license test several times, and failed at every attempt. :lol:

Now, go rinse out you drawers and powder your bottom, you'll feel beter.
Terry
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

Terry_Glover wrote:
Your entire response is nothing but a big barrage of bull$hit and nonsense thrown out here in an attempt to defend yourself and try to save face!

What did you offer him, a 5% premimum over scrap value? :o How generous. I rest my case with that link. You tried to hit up a the poster, in that thread, to sell you a distressed radio that wasn't offered for sale. You come into this thread and try to screw a handfull of HAM's into the ground for doing the same thing you did. The old double standard, It's OK if I do it, but be damned if anyone else tries it!

You remind me of an Icom walkie-talkie salesman, who has taken his Amateur license test several times, and failed at every attempt. :lol:

Now, go rinse out you drawers and powder your bottom, you'll feel beter.
I don't need BS and nonsense to defend myself, you dont' like it because you fit the profile that I described.

MMMM, the radio was offered for sale, I have the PM's to prove it, the price I offerered for a parts radio is my business, but it was in the hundreds, if that's your business.

I am trying to screw a handful of HAM's, nope, I only pointed out the value of the radio, based on the market.

Nor do I have double standards.

You remind me of...... nevermind, that just wouldn't be very nice.

Rinse out my drawers, that's funny, because.......... if you have ever been to Dayton Hamvention, you will know that most of the "Hams" that your defending, don't rinse out theirs, or take a bath, they just stink, kinda like .......

Post by tvsjr »

OK, enough.

Before certain people start flaming too much (that would be you, Terry_Glover), you might want to realize that Spectragod has been here a very long time. He's not blowing smoke - he knows what he's talking about. However, he's like me - call him out and he's going to jump in the middle of your stuff.

Try to place nice, k?

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”