Motorola MW-520 questions...Can you help?

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

JDMinPDX
New User

Motorola MW-520 questions...Can you help?

Post by JDMinPDX »

I picked up a Motorola MW-520, Model # F5205A and it is running Windows 2000 Pro.

Now, I just spent the past hour or so reading the many threads (most of them old) on the MW-520 but I still have a few question marks in my mind. My first question is about getting stuff loaded onto the unit. I have ordered Delorme Street Atlas to use as a GPS and the software comes on a DVD. How do I go about loading the software on this unit? This leads me into my next question about the USB port on the back of the unit. I know that not a lot of these units have the USB so I am lucky (I suppose) to have it, however I dont know what I can connect to it. Can I infact connect a USB DVD player to it? My friend has one and if I can use it to load stuff on it that would be GREAT. What confuses me though is if it does support a USB DVD drive, once I connect it, how do I get the actual drivers for the DVD drive to actually start working!? Lol. I hope I didnt loose you.

Anyway, my next question has to do with RAM. What ram do I need? I believe I have read that my MW model has 128 and can support no more than 256. I would like to upgrade to the max but dont know what kind of ram module to get. Any help there?

Regarding the USB port again, does it work with USB thumb drives? I have a 2 GB keychain USB drive that I use to transfer files and documents all the time between my home computer and work computer. If my MW can use thumb drives that would be IDEAL!

And I believe that is it. Thank you SOO MUCH for any help you can provide. I cant tell you how many hours I have spent trying to find info on these units. I have always wanted one back when I started to see them in LAPD cruisers and I am excited to have one (even if it is a little out dated!)
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Re: Motorola MW-520 questions...Can you help?

Post by Pj »

For the sake of the board instead of PM's, I'll answer these here..

-The 5203 and 5205 model MW-520's will have a rear 1.1 USB port

In order to load software on these computers, the best way is to get a USB flash drive, preferred that its supported natively by the operating system. Some require drivers, some do not. Another good way, is a wireless PC Card or USB adaptor. Again, some are supported by the OS, other will not be.

Worse case, is a USB floppy drive to get the basic drivers on the computer to use the above. Even worse than that, is to pull the HD out, and put it into another computer <--- recommended only for installing a new OS, and there is a trick to that too.

The 5205 WILL support booting from USB bootable devices, but the 5203 does not (at least well enough to recommend trying it).

You can upgrade to 256MB, its a normal memory module, but the exact type is escaping me at the moment. I want to say it was PC100.

Windows 98se
Windows NT
Windows 2000 Pro
Windows 2000 Advanced Server
Windows XP Professional

Will all work on the 128/256MB 5203/5205 machines
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
JDMinPDX
New User

Post by JDMinPDX »

I really want to upgrade to XP but keep reading that it is memory hungry and will slows my system down. Ehh, for the most part XP is the same thing with a "prettier" interface. Thanks for the post PJ, you have been most helpful.
Pj

Post by Pj »

I have a MW520 5203 with 128MB RAM running just fine with WinXP SP2, Bluetooth GPS, Verizon EVDO modem, Garmin nRoute GPS software, UI-View32, and MS Outlook, GPSGATE, Linksys USB Wi-Fi, Pidgin, without any problems. It actually runs just fine.

Don't plan on playing Flightsim on it, but it does well for its design.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
Pj

Post by Pj »

....almost forgot...

Running WinXP on a 5203/5205, it will not let you use one of the cardslots. The drivers just don't do it. I tried looking for more update drivers, but it just doesn't work (TI-1123? cardbus system). Under the other OS's, both card slots work fine.
JDMinPDX
New User

Post by JDMinPDX »

Ya I think I will stick with Win 2000. I will be utilizing both slots. Wierd thing I noticed is that my wifi card sits upside down in the slot...
Pj

Post by Pj »

Normal.
bmac67
New User

Post by bmac67 »

Can anyone advise me on the proper driver needed from ELO while running XP? I have tried the serial one for XP and have had no luck getting it to work. Is there anything I need to do besides install driver and "try" to calibrate unit? I get a green check mark in the ELO screen stated it is ok, but when I go to calibrate the TS there is no response. Any Ideas?

Also can anyone let me know what VIDEO drivers you are running under XP?

Much Thanks!

Bryan
Pj

Post by Pj »

I used the NT drivers, and worked just fine. I have another 520 I am putting together tomrrow, and I will see which ones are used.
efmiii
New User

Post by efmiii »

Does anyone have any information on how to utilize the onboard gps and what software will work with it. I have a 5205a running win 2000 pro. I've gotten everything to work except for that, and programing the buttons at the bottom of the lcd. I understand that requires specific software, I'd be interested in info on that as well. Also, does anyone have the model number for the higher resolution screen. I know its alot of questions for my first post, but I'm on a roll with this project. My e-mail is emichel@hvc.rr.com. Thanks.
Pj

Post by Pj »

Open up the MW and see what GPS is in there. Should be a Trimble SKII or SK8. Go to the trimble site and download their GPS config software (forget the name).

But first, run a GPS application and try different serial ports and set your software to NMEA.

The buttons ONLY work with specific Motorola software, or if you custom write some commands into yours. The extra buttons are treated as extended F keys by the software, except for the emergency button. So unless you know software programming, forget it. The "extrakey app" that is floating around only works with the MW800.
efmiii
New User

Post by efmiii »

Thanks for the info,
I downloaded Trimble GPS Monitor, the gps seems to be working fine. I'm going to install Microsoft Streets And Trips and see how it works. Any info on the hi res monitors, the low res is a bit limiting for what I have planned for this computer.
Incidently, I picked up a lot of four cpu's(one 5205, three 5203's, two with gps ), four keyboards( one brand new), six lcd's (two of these are brand new with the plastic still on the screen), three sets of cables, two gps antennas, and some original documentation. My winning bid was $106 plus $80 shipping. All of the peices show little to no wear and function fine. The hdd's are password protected, but I used a hdd out of a t22 thinkpad with 2000 pro and it booted fine. It took a little effort to get the touch screen working but it works great now.
I'd be interested in any software that exists for these units. Or even basic hdd images as I will need to reformat the original drives. I can't use an image of the drive I'm using as it's larger then the others(20gig as opposed to 10 and 6gig).
Thanks again
Pj

Post by Pj »

Check you inbox, PM sent
CBP_LB
What radios do you own?: XTS3000-III UHF

Post by CBP_LB »

ok, I would like to share the process of my install, that I had just completed, I think it would be helpful to someone else down the line.

I got my MW-520 in a box just thrown together, i separated all the pieces made sure I had all cables and power wires.
Kit included:
1) Touchscreen monitor (w/ PWR Cable and Monitor cable)
2) Keyboard
3) 5203 CPU 6gig w/Win 2000 (basic pre-installed) (w/power cable) video outlet only...

I installed the full unit into my vehicle, ran power from battery (fused)

after turning the unit on, I attempted to install my Sprint Novatel U727, drivers are stored on the unit itself, with win2k it does not auto run the install program, i needed to open the file from mycomputer and select the drive, then selected the driver to install... now it would not install it stated it needed a newer ver. of win installer, that was fixed when we installed win2000 service pack 4.

After installing win2k sp4 all programs installed no problem, we used a older model cdrom drive to install ms office 2003 pro, doing that was just plug and play.

Important thing to remember, ALWAYS restart the computer after you install the programs.

after you install your programs run disk clean up and defrag. it helps alot...

also I installed about a good 4hrs of windows updates, click on the windows update button and check what updates are needed....

now what i need to know is what is the latest ver. of MS Streets and Trips that can be used on a Win2K SP4 system?
I am currently using MS MapPoint 2004 which sucks cause it will not (or i don't know how) give me directions to an address from my gps location.

also i am using the gps ant. that is available from my sprint internet card... work fine with MapPoint but is limited to showing my location on the map, thats about it...

So I hope this helps for some, if anyone has questions feel free to pm me.
William Hayes
Inland Empire, CA

In Loving Memory; We miss you DAD!
http://iaff935.org/index.cfm?section=8&pagenum=264
Pj

Post by Pj »

Microsoft wrote:System requirements

To use Microsoft® Streets & Trips 2008, you need:

PC with Pentium II or higher processor; Pentium III recommended
Windows Vista, Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1, or later operating system required
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 browser software or later, Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1 included (will not displace your primary browser)
For Windows Vista: 1 GB of RAM
For Windows XP: 128 MB of RAM (256 MB recommended)
For Windows Server 2003: 256 MB of RAM
Running additional applications simultaneously may require additional memory
Available hard-disk space: 1.6 GB. Some users may require up to an extra 100MB for System Files Update (hard disk usage will vary depending on configuration)
DVD-ROM drive
Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher resolution monitor with 256 colors
Microsoft Mouse, Microsoft IntelliMouse, or compatible pointing device

Additional items or services required to use certain features:

For Voice Output: Windows XP or later and compatible soundcard
Microsoft Exchange, Internet SMTP/POP3, IMAP4, or MAPI-compliant messaging software required to use Send To as attachment; Microsoft Office Outlook 2000 or later required to use Send To as picture
14,400-baud or higher recommended
Broadband Internet service strongly recommended for Live Search
Some Internet functionality may require Internet access and payment of a separate fee to an Internet service provider; local and/or long-distance telephone toll charges may apply
GPS functionality requires a GPS device that supports NMEA 2.0 or later
A free COM port below 20 required for GPS
Pj

Post by Pj »

That was for the 2008 version. I couldn't find stuff for the older ones, but I think the last one did.
CBP_LB
What radios do you own?: XTS3000-III UHF

Post by CBP_LB »

Pj wrote:That was for the 2008 version. I couldn't find stuff for the older ones, but I think the last one did.
Thanks Pj, I do not think 2008 will work, but It looks like 2007 will... thanks for that info....
William Hayes
Inland Empire, CA

In Loving Memory; We miss you DAD!
http://iaff935.org/index.cfm?section=8&pagenum=264
ScannerDan

Post by ScannerDan »

I just placed a bid on a new 2006 version of Microsoft® Streets & Trips due to the fact that all I need is an external CDrom not a DVD rom. I haven't received it yet and I'm still waiting on the external CDrom drive for it's on a slow boat from Hong Kong. My MW-520 appeared new and has win2000pro but it's password protected. I have a CD to bypass the password but I need the CD drive so I'm waiting..

I hate arguing with stupid people. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
kc8mln

Post by kc8mln »

Does anyone in the group have an electronic file that actually breaks down the models and their options... Just wondered...

Also, our volunteer fire dept has a few of these units and has the original Motorola CD Disks for the reformat... System Recovery, IP Gateway and MOSCAD....

Is there anyone who has any leads on where our agency can purchase more of these units for a reasonable price and that are functional... We have been watching ebay, but wanted to know if there were any other leads to persons who had some of these for sale also.

Please let me know.

~Thanks
ScannerDan

Post by ScannerDan »

kc8mln wrote:Does anyone in the group have an electronic file that actually breaks down the models and their options... Just wondered...

Also, our volunteer fire dept has a few of these units and has the original Motorola CD Disks for the reformat... System Recovery, IP Gateway and MOSCAD....

Is there anyone who has any leads on where our agency can purchase more of these units for a reasonable price and that are functional... We have been watching ebay, but wanted to know if there were any other leads to persons who had some of these for sale also.

Please let me know.

~Thanks
Ebay's probably your best bet. Just make sure that you get the newer units with the USB port

If you can snag one of the original CD's and copy them for your units

I hate arguing with stupid people. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Pj

Post by Pj »

My product information file is most likely the best source you can have. There wasn't really too many options for the 520's. Came down to data modem, GPS, onboard video and hard drive size (and of course the display). Thats about it, and you can tell whats in there for the most part by looking at the back of the unit.

The 5203's are the most common on ebay, with some 5205's here and there.

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”