System Mapping Solution

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Wile E. Coyote
What radios do you own?: The best that low bid can buy.

System Mapping Solution

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

Greetings!

We recently moved some (Motorola) base stations around, and we were asked to drive around and take signal readings. I didn't think much of it until we were told to visit 100 sites!

I am curious how you would verify system coverage with your system. Is there software that combines GPS with signal strength data, or something similar? Just curious

-WEC 8)

*EDIT - I forgot to note, that it should be a cost effective solution. However I am open to ideas.
"The bitterness of poor quality lingers longer than the sweetness of low cost"
chpalmer
What radios do you own?: Astro Specta, MT1500, HT1550LS

Re: System Mapping Solution

Post by chpalmer »

Winegard Interference

Updated to working link! Still hearing these all over the place.
N4DES
was KS4VT
What radios do you own?: APX,XTS2500,XTL2500,XTL1500

Post by N4DES »

There are a few communication equipment rental companies out there where you can rent the rf and accumulator equipment. It's been a while since I have looked them up, but I'm sure a quick Google search may give you more information.
Wile E. Coyote

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

Thanks for all of the input. That freeware program looks cool, but I need something that will report more on how a system is working currently instead of in theory.

Hmm. It doesnt look like there is anything out there to make drive testing for business two-way systems simple. Looks like I will have to spend big bucks to have someone else do it.

Or maybe I can write my own program that will take GPS data and RSSI data, combine the two, and dump the data into a file that can be imported into mapping software to reveal the results in a graphical format. piece of cake! That should only take a few years to perfect on my spare time. *sigh*

WEC 8)
aaknitt

Post by aaknitt »

http://www.bvsystems.com/Products/Drive ... estudy.htm

I have no idea how much their stuff costs, but since it includes hardware, I'm guessing it's going to be pretty pricey.

Andy
Zaputil

Post by Zaputil »

We have a BVS Panther drive test analyzer. We purchansed it because it does 40 lamba averaging with the addition of M/A-Com Typhon software. I haven't been too impressed with the quality of the hardware, and they aren't cheap. The other vendor that comes to mind is http://www.surveytech.com/.

Do you intend to take automated, continuous measurements, or do you intend to manually take the readings?

Like you, I've been trying to come up with a better way for basic drive testing. It seems simple enough, all you basically need to collect is the RSSI and lat & long. Map programs like Delorme or Streets & Trips have data import features that allow you to map the data. The M/A-Com M7100 will display RSSI in dBm, and the control head data is RS485. This can be converted to RS232 and fed into a laptop. Someday I intend to get our software engineer to throw together a little program to grab the RSSI values out of the string and throw it in a file with a location. In my mythical "spare time"....

Good Luck!
Wile E. Coyote

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

When I get the time, I plan to sit down and knock out a Labview program (http://www.ni.com/labview/) that will grab the lat & long from a Garmin GPS, and at the same time get the RSSI analog voltage from a radio. Import that signal through a USB LabJack DAQ (http://www.labjack.com/labjack_u3.php?prodId=25). It should be easy enough to calibrate it to known uV levels.

Then within the 1 second GPS updates, I can record the average, high, and low RSSI values. Maybe even extend that over a 3 or 5 second period to get a more general reading. Then save that in a format to be used on external mapping software. I have everything I need to write & test the program, except time. I guess thats one drawback to having a life!

Any other thoughts?

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”