HP/Vista Problems

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Rayjk110
Banned

HP/Vista Problems

Post by Rayjk110 »

After trying to install good old Windows XP on my new HP S3020N, I found to my dismay that no XP drivers were easily found or avaliable on HP's website for this computer. So, I'm now re-installing Vista (ugh) on my computer with the restore discs. My problem here is that Vista only makes my HDD (or what my computer "sees" it as) as a 48.8GB HDD, when infact it's a 250GB HDD. When I'm installing Vista, it gives me no partition options during the install.

Also, once it is installed, HP's crapware takes over and wants 16hrs or so for some "cooking" process - to install, presumably, more CRAP. Anyway to stop that, and have it actually partition C: Drive as more than 48.8GB? I've gone under computer management, and made a seperate 174GB partition (J:), but I'd like this damned HP Vista installer to make C: a 250GB partition when it's installing!

Thanks,

Ray.
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Re: HP/Vista Problems

Post by JAYMZ »

You try performing a low level format before reimaging?
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
Rayjk110
Banned

Post by Rayjk110 »

Yes I have, I think it was a couple '0' writes.
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

Your MBR may have gotten corrupted somehow. Try getting a program call killdisk and run the drive through that a couple of times. This way you can start with a truly clean slate, and shouldn't have those partitioning issues. Formating (at least as far as windows is concerned) really only kills the TOC and related references.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
Grog
On Moderation

Post by Grog »

JAYMZ wrote:Your MBR may have gotten corrupted somehow. Try getting a program call killdisk and run the drive through that a couple of times. This way you can start with a truly clean slate, and shouldn't have those partitioning issues. Formating (at least as far as windows is concerned) really only kills the TOC and related references.

Tag for future use.....

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”