Kendoo? Good? Bad?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jonathan KC8RYW

Kendoo? Good? Bad?

Post by Jonathan KC8RYW »

Anyone dealt with Kendoo?

Are their batteries okay?

How about their accessories (speaker mics..) ?

Just wonderin'.
73 DE KC8RYW
Random Motorola Part Number:
SYN1894B - V3m Sprint-branded Battery Cover
techie
Batboard $upporter

Post by techie »

rumor has it that their batteries are absolute junk. (I think this was discussed on the LMR list a
couple months ago.)

I have no experience with their accessories, except for their GM/Spectra power cables, which seem to be fine.
-- Welcome My Son, Welcome To The Machine --
Bob Vaughan | techie@tantivy.net
AF6RR | P.O.Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --
Bob

Post by Bob »

I have had a couple on my sabers and they give 'junk' a good name. Atthe same time, I've heard other people rave about them. A lot depends on which model radio the batteries are for, and which batch of cells you get. Seems like their quality control is hit-or-miss.
Jonathan KC8RYW

I'd be going after their GP300 NIMH batteries.
73 DE KC8RYW
Will

Post by Will »

Save your money and get a Multiplier battery or a Motorola bat. If you want a realy good aftermarket spkr/mic or headset, contact Keiln Electronics.
All the Prime, Merry, Kendoo and other junk comes from the same mfger in China, JUNK!!!
willbartlett
Batboard $upporter

My thoughts

Post by willbartlett »

I've been through a bunch of Kendoo batts for the saber, never again. RAHQ.com had Jbro for about $9 more thant the $29 ebay variety, and their quality is far superior.

As for accesories, go OEM or try for the top of the line OTTO stuff. Pryme is fine for ham, but don't ever think of staking your life on it.

Will
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Re: My thoughts

Post by Josh »

Wow, some of you guys hate Kendoo- However, not me. I've had god experiences with their products. What have I gotten from them? 3 GP350 batteries and a GP300 battery. The GP350 batteries fit better than the OEM batteries. They last just as long, too.

The best battery of the bunch is the GP300 battery. It is supposedly the '1200Ma' version, but it lasts all day long- longer than the Motorola original I also have. I've been impressed with their GP300/350 products and have had NO complaints.

-Josh
central150
What radios do you own?: Too many..

Post by central150 »

One of my supervisors at work has an MTX810 and bought a new battery of Kendoo origin. He has only good things to say about it. He charges it in his quick charger, it last's him for 16 hours, 8-4 road job and 4-12 shift work. Says he is going to buy more. As for me, I am going to buy a Kendoo battery for my MTX8000 and SP50 and see how they work. I will post my findings.

Tony :evil:
Last edited by central150 on Fri Aug 16, 2002 5:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
1 Adam 12
sk

Kendoo

Post by 1 Adam 12 »

We have over 30 MTS/MTX series batteries from them and the are great. We have Saber/ Astro batteries and they where all good, BUT... some of them where so tight that we had to take a Dremel and give it a quick touch. I have heard nothing but good things on the GP300 battery, guy owns about 30 for rentals. It does seem as someone mentioned that their quality control is spotty. The aftermarket stuff like the MTS car adapter and a few others also work well. It seems to be hit or miss on some of their line and others seem extremely reliable.... I have had crappy and great JBROs, but the best seem to be Alexander, and the old Motorola line stuff. It does seem that the cases are not as strong....
Jonathan KC8RYW

Well, Kendoo seems to look like a good source, despite some of the gripes.

I won't be needing any Saber batteries, so I should be safe there.
73 DE KC8RYW
wa2zdy

Post by wa2zdy »

Will mentioned Prime in his post. I don't know if he is referring to Primecell of Pennsylvania, but I have gotten a few rebuilds from Primecell for my MT1000/HT600/P200 collection and have no problems. They charge up fine in the rapid charger and last all day and then some.

I don't work for them, but I think comments should be made - good as well as bad.

Good luck,
Chris,
Hamming 31 years
http://www.wa2zdy.com
Wesley Chapel, Pasco County, Florida
Snow? What's that?!
The human race is proof that Darwin was wrong.
2wayfreq
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: XTS5000 VHF, M-RK II UHF

Post by 2wayfreq »

yeah..get multiplier or jbro..i got some kendoos before and they dont hold a charge for more than a few minutes...pretty sad..I probably got some old stock to boot >:(
SD70MAC

KENDOO

Post by SD70MAC »

Kendoo batteries are the only ones i will use anymore. I at one time was using JBRO's and had to send a lot of them back(4 out of 6).It may have been a QC problem but i have been using kendoo's for the last 2 years never had to send one back! Just my experience with them is as follows ,HT1250,JT1000,MT2000,GP300/350 ,HT1000,and others can't say about the sabre problems.
Mercenary
What radios do you own?: Motorola XTS3000

Post by Mercenary »

I HAVE A 2700MAH KENDOO BATTERY FOR MY MTX8000 AND I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH IT UNTILL A YEAR LATER WHEN I DROP THE RADIO AND THE BOTTOM TABS ON THE BATTERY BROKE OFF. I CALLED KENDOO THE NEXT DAY AND THEY SENT ME A NEW BATTERY FREE OF CHARGE.
elkbow

Post by elkbow »

I have to say good to Kendoo also. Only going by my experience. Follow the normal charging procedures for new batteries....charge slow charge for 16-20 hours, drain, charge again, drain, charge again. My kendoo's last me for 3 days, using for approximately 6 hours per day, I usually charge after the second day, but never after the first. I shut off during the middle of the day when not needed.
Dale Earnhardt

Post by Dale Earnhardt »

Like most people say to that battery

Its No Ken Do, it stinks lol

lol sorry couldnt resist
jwood

Re: My thoughts

Post by jwood »

Josh wrote:Wow, some of you guys hate Kendoo- However, not me. I've had god experiences with their products. -Josh
I love my KENDOO's Also..using them on the HT-1000 radios, 2700mha and they last 30 hrs or better on one charge, been using the last ones for 3 yrs of everyday use.. I am ordering KENDOO again! :D
Trm70c

bad fit

Post by Trm70c »

my ht1250ls came used with a kendoo battery , it didn't fit right at all. don't know how good they work, bought a new motorola batt and it works great. Threw the kenddo away.

Tyler
Jay G.
Batboard $upporter

Post by Jay G. »

Has anyone tried their chargers?? Any comments??
Jay Goldmark, EMT
Ex-Captain, Woodmere Vol. Fire Dept.
Fire District Communications Supv.
KC2ZHI Amateur Radio Operator
Licensed Master Electrician
Owner, Top Class Electric, LLC.
Woodmere, Long Island, NY

"Enjoy Life, it's not a dress rehearsal !!!"

APCOMAN

Post by APCOMAN »

In my Kendoo Experence, I would say they rank down there quite far. I have had noting but bad luck with those darn things. For one, they burn up while charging at a normal rate. Second, the cells don't seem to hold their charge very well. I had a couple of them that were bought new, and the cells seemed to dry up really quick. They went from 1.2 ah to .8 ah in about 3 months. Quite bad for NiCad's. The charging was on the factory charger for my Icom HT. If you want a really kick-a$$ aftermarket pack for any radio, then Multiplier is definitely the way to go. Also have a couple of Jbro NiCad's for my XTS, and those too are dropping their capacity very quick. Multiplier all the way baby!!!!
JS
cranbiz
Batboard $upporter

Post by cranbiz »

I have one of their HT1000 chargers and other than the fact that it has/needs a plastic spacer (that came with it) to make the HT1000 fit properly, it works fine. You do need to be careful in placing the radio in the charger to assure proper contact with the charging terminals.
wazzzzzzzzup
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: XTS3000/astro spectra/

Post by wazzzzzzzzup »

i have bought 2 batterys from kendoo, one is an mtx8000/mts2000 ultrahigh cap batt, it held just as much power as the mot ultra high cap batt i had used for many years. NO COMPLAINTS!!!

next battery is a p1225 ultra high cap batt, this battery has given no problems and i am very happy!!!!
larrymedic

Post by larrymedic »

I bought one for a jedi radio, and it never held a charge as long as the Moto batteries. I could get about a full day (24-hour EMS shift) out of the Moto batteries, but the higher-amp Kendoo only lasted about14 hours.

Also, the battery housing failed and separated, so the radio would drop off the battery which was securely on my belt. How very useful! And the supplier wanted tons of information - date of purchase (OK), copy of invoice (for a $30 battery, who saves it for long?), eBay auction number (right!), etc. etc. - from me before they would replace under warrantee. I told them to stuff it and threw it away.

Never again. Moto only.

Having said that, I bought a Kendoo battery eliminator without realizing it for the Jedi. It works GREAT! Never able to overheat it, fits well, works well, etc. A great item. If only the batteries were so good......
ExKa|iBuR
Suspended TFN

Post by ExKa|iBuR »

Wow.

Sounds like everyone has had mixed experiences with batteries.

Here's my Dollar. (2 cents US :P)

I've used the original Motorola batteries, Alexander Batteries, Multiplier, and some "Mr. NiCad" that I got in Dayton.

These were all for the HT600 that I'm speaking of now.

I bought them all brand-new, out of the shrink-wrap.

The Motorola one lasted about a year. After 9 months, I noticed a VERY sharp decrease in performance. I used to have access to a battery monitor thingie, and the battery was rated for 1200mah. Up to 9 months, it was around 1150. At about 10 months in, it dropped down to 800, seemingly overnight.

The alexander batteries were top quality. Lasted around 2 years, and still hold a half-decent charge.

The Multiplier were the BEST. They still hold the original rated charge (4 years later).

The Mr. Nicad SUCKED. The lasted maybe 6 months.

But, everyone will have different experiences.

Mike
wa2zdy

Post by wa2zdy »

Can't say a bad word about Multiplier. I've got MT500 batteries from 1988 by Multiplier that still work just fine. Beat THAT!
Chris,
Hamming 31 years
http://www.wa2zdy.com
Wesley Chapel, Pasco County, Florida
Snow? What's that?!
The human race is proof that Darwin was wrong.
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Post by RESCUE161 »

Kendoo for MTSX SUCKS!
It won't fit into the charger that I have... Well it will fit if it's forced, but it's hard to get out of the charger...
Scott
R Burt

Post by R Burt »

The only thing I found that are good are the gp spkr mics and cig lighter power adaptors. Very good price and as good as motorola . Never never had ANY luck with batteries. Most dont fit radio or charger or wont rapid charge right .... Richard

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”