Hard drive removal from a MW-520

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ScannerDan

Hard drive removal from a MW-520

Post by ScannerDan »

Hi all,

What is the safe and proper procedure in removing the hard drive from a Motorola MW-520 F-5205 MDT? I need to install the hard drive in an old laptop so that I can boot off of the CD and reset the password. I tried to boot off of a flash drive but that didn't work so I'll give this a try.

thanks

Dan..

I hate arguing with stupid people. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Re: Hard drive removal from a MW-520

Post by Pj »

Take off the 4 torx screws. IIRC, carfully pull the top off swinging AWAY from the rear of the unit up and towards the front (90/180 degree angle). DO IT SLOW AND CARFULLY! There is a ribbon cable that connects the HD attached to that shield to the motherboard with a flat connector. Once that shield is vertical, you can just pop off the connecter on the motherboard side. The rest is pretty easy.

Disclaimer: The pull off could be reversed (towards the back vs the front). If you go slow, you shouldn't kill anything.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”