GR1225 coverage

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

dattco70
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links

GR1225 coverage

Post by dattco70 »

I have a gr1225 that is on uhf and it does not cover as mutch as it use to. I have not done anything to it or the ant. anyone know what could be wrong?
Doug
Batboard $upporter

Re: GR1225 coverage

Post by Doug »

Your going to need to get more specific. There are way too many variables to guess at.
Doug
May the Schwarz be with you.
Will

Post by Will »

Common problem on the GR1225. The final amplifier overheats and goes bad, nearly no output.
Trouble is the thermostat for the fan is in the bottom of the power supply, probably the coolest spot!

They CAN be repaired.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

(Moved to proper fourm...please make sure your posting in the correct forum)
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
commcheck
New User

Post by commcheck »

By now, you've probably resolved the GR1225 issue.
The UHF PA (part HLE3013) generally requires replacement. The trouble is cold solder develops on the base of the final transistor. Sometimes you can remove the old solder, clean, and reflow new solder. I just replace the PA and get on with life. I've probably replaced a few dozen of them by now. If it's a heavily used repeater, a PA may last a year. Otherwise, I generally see the PA's last a few years or so with average use.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

People seem to insist on running the GR series at full power, at more than 50% duty cycle, and expect them to last. They are rated for 100% duty cycle only at low power, which means no more than 25 watts. They will last much longer this way. Replacing the regular solder on the final with silver solder will allow it to last even longer, as it has a higher melting threshold.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”